Let's compare Boston testing centers (for MCAT - 2014 version)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of 2014, I believe that there are 3 Prometric Testing Centers in or around Boston. Please correct me if I am mistaken:

1. 27 Wormwood Street
2. 930 Commonwealth Avenue
3. 239 Causeway Street

I am interested in:

1. What the temperature was like and what time of year you were there.
2. If there are outside windows in the testing room, even if they are covered with blinds.
3. The noise level.
4. Other distractions.
5. Whatever else you think is important.

(FYI - In 2007 there was a similar thread, but since then I believe that the Beacon street location was closed and two other centers opened. Plus, things change over time and I wanted a up-to-date version.)

Members don't see this ad.

As of 2014, I believe that there are 3 Prometric Testing Centers in or around Boston. Please correct me if I am mistaken:

1. 27 Wormwood Street
2. 930 Commonwealth Avenue
3. 239 Causeway Street

I am interested in:

1. What the temperature was like and what time of year you were there.
2. If there are outside windows in the testing room, even if they are covered with blinds.
3. The noise level.
4. Other distractions.
5. Whatever else you think is important.

(FYI - In 2007 there was a similar thread, but since then I believe that the Beacon street location was closed and two other centers opened. Plus, things change over time and I wanted a up-to-date version.)

What I know:

PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR EXPERIENCE AT THESE CENTERS EVEN IF IT WAS DIFFERENT THAN MINE

930 Commonwealth Avenue - I took the MCAT there last year in September. It was nice and cool, great air conditioning. No outside windows in the testing rooms (only in the waiting area). The noise level was somewhere between quiet (not silent) and "moderate." Even though I wore ear plugs (which I brought) and headphones (supplied by the testing center), I was occasionally startled by the loud and sudden noise of someone clearing his throat several times an hour, for at least a couple hours. The desks had dividers so you cannot see other test takers while sitting down. However, people were going on break at different times. Right in the middle of my verbal reasoning section, a very tall guy sitting across from me stood up and kept staring or gesturing at me for what seemed like at least 20 minutes - maybe his test was over.... This kept distracting me away from the passages. It would have been nice if the proctor asked him to sit down or leave, but that never happened. (Just so you know this can and does happen: In some other centers everyone sits facing a wall so that's never an issue.) And there was an intense odor in the testing room, the sort of odor that belongs in the bathroom, that kept getting stronger for the last 2 hours. It became difficult to breath near the end. Again, it would have been nice if a proctor could have come in the room, but no such luck. Other than that, no problems: A reasonably quick check in, two bathrooms and one was always free when I was there, easy access to lockers during breaks, etc.

27 Wormwood Street - I never took a test there, but I did show up at the building last year in mid-spring (April-ish) to try to get a sense of what that center was like. Air conditioner was NOT on at that time. It was a little on the warm side and humid IMO. It looked like there were windows in the testing rooms partially covered by blinds, but the blinds were in disrepair so outside light can come in (relevant for some people with light sensitive eyes), and depending on where you sat, you might be able to see out or get distracted by the outside view. (It was on the 2nd floor, but for example, if a lightning storm started up or something, that would distract some people.) The center was quiet when I was there. It smelled fine. The one other thing you should know is that this center is NOT right next to the subway, like the other 2 centers. Additional information about this center would be great since I didn't actually take a test here.

239 Causeway Street - ???? (never been, no clue) The only thing I know about this location is that it is conveniently located near the North Station subway stop.

FARTHER AWAY FROM BOSTON:

Worcester Prometric - Someone who took the test in May 2014 said it was very warm and humid.

(FYI Re: Temp. - Advice is to dress in layers in case the temp. is not as expected. It's still nice to know what the temp. was like in the past in case you prefer a certain temperature or are sensitive to high/low temps.)

Last edited:
I will be taking it at Worcester Prometric. Can anyone shed some more light on the conditions there?