Score converter for AAMC Sample test for Shortened version of MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro244

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody by any chance have a score converter/formula/algorithm for the AAMC Sample test for the shortened version of the MCAT so I can see where I stand? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody by any chance have a score converter/formula/algorithm for the AAMC Sample test for the shortened version of the MCAT so I can see where I stand? Thanks!
No such thing. Scores are going to be on the same scale. Supposedly, most, if not all of the questions eliminated are going to be the experimental, field test questions, so there should be no effect on the number or difficulty of the questions that are actually going to count.

There is no conversion because there will simply be proportionately less questions and less time for each section, but there is no way to know which questions to eliminate on a sample test, so you can't just not answer the last 11 questions, stop 14 minutes early, and apply a formula to convert your score. You still have to plow through each section on the sample to get your score, which should approximate what you will get on the real deal, even though the shortened test will have 11 less questions per section (other than CARS, which will have 5 less questions), and each of which will end 14 minutes (9 minutes for CARS).

Members don't see this ad :)
No such thing. Scores are going to be on the same scale. Supposedly, most, if not all of the questions eliminated are going to be the experimental, field test questions, so there should be no effect on the number or difficulty of the questions that are actually going to count.

There is no conversion because there will simply be proportionately less questions and less time for each section, but there is no way to know which questions to eliminate on a sample test, so you can't just not answer the last 11 questions, stop 14 minutes early, and apply a formula to convert your score. You still have to plow through each section on the sample to get your score, which should approximate what you will get on the real deal, even though the shortened test will have 11 less questions per section (other than CARS, which will have 5 less questions), and each of which will end 14 minutes (9 minutes for CARS).
Ah I see. I just took the sample test and I ended up only answering 48 questions in each section. What I did was I used the score converter that I got from Princeton review or a different company a year ago. What I did for instance was if I got 40 out of 48 questions correct on the shortened version I calculated what that percentage would be and then in comparison to the 59 question version I saw how many questions I would have to get correct out of 59 to match that percentage. Do you think that’s a doable way of actually getting what your real score would be? I figured that’s the only way you would be able to account for the 11 less questions using the same calculation they use.

Ah I see. I just took the sample test and I ended up only answering 48 questions in each section. What I did was I used the score converter that I got from Princeton review or a different company a year ago. What I did for instance was if I got 40 out of 48 questions correct on the shortened version I calculated what that percentage would be and then in comparison to the 59 question version I saw how many questions I would have to get correct out of 59 to match that percentage. Do you think that’s a doable way of actually getting what your real score would be? I figured that’s the only way you would be able to account for the 11 less questions using the same calculation they use.
The problem is that you don't know which 11 questions to eliminate to be representative -- the ones you eliminate might be more easy or difficult than the average question, and that will skew your score, which you won't know until you take the real test.

The only way to get an accurate estimation of your score, assuming AAMC is telling the truth and the actual test will be scored the same as before, is to take the samples as-is. Also, it won't hurt to over prepare -- it will only make the actual test seem that much easier. This is what I am doing. I heard Princeton Review is creating a new shorter practice test, but their tests are notorious for not accurately estimating your real test score, so I don't think it is high value.

Reactions: 1 user