Lets discuss questions of NBDE 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d dimps

d dimps
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1). .Which angle does a P Wave makes on ECG?
a). .45 degree
b). .180 degree
c). .0 degree
d). .-45 degree
e). .-180 degree.

2). .What is endogenous cholesterol? Most endogenous cholesterol is converted to?
a). .Glucose
b). .Cholic acid
c). .Steroid
d). .Oxaloacetete
e). .Ketone bodies

3). .Which of the following statement is correct regarding Glioblastoma multiforme?
a). .the tumor is most common before puberty
b). .it is classified as a type of meningioma
c). .it is most common type of Astrocytoma.
d). .Its prognosis is generally more favourablethan Grade 1 astrocytoma.
e). .It is derived from the epithelial lining of ventricles

4). .Which of the following pathological changes is irreversible?
a). .fatty changes in liver cells
b). .karyolysis in myocardial cells
c). .glycogen deposition in hepatocyte nuclei
d). .hydropic vacuolization of renal tubular epithelial cells.

5). .An example of Synergism is the effect of?
a). .insulin and glucagon on blood glucose
b). .estrogen and progesterone on uterine motility
c). .growth hormone and thyroxine on skeletal growth.
d). .Antidiuretic hormone and aldosterone on potassium excretion.

Members don't see this ad.

As severity of pdl disease progresses,there is an increase in plasma cell that produce which of the foll??
sIgA,IgD,IgE,IgG or IgM ???

Q.foll prophylactic adm of amoxicillin pt become hypotensive and itchy and has diff breathing.what is most probably occuring?
1.amoxicillin reacts with IgE and activate Tc cells to release lymphokines
2.IgE bound to antigen results in histamine release from mast cells
3.CD4 ceels secreting lymphokines
4.IgG and complement inducing neutrophils chemotaxis

Last edited:
Hi Anaita, Can You please explain how propionyl co A is Gluconeogenic? Because,as for as i know, propionylcoA --> succinylcoA which can be utilised in three ways 1. in heme syn 2. ketone body oxidation 3.TCA cycle.

In TCA cycle, succinyl coA--->---> oxaloacetate ---> gluconeogenesis.

can it be like this?

Last edited:
As severity of pdl disease progresses,there is an increase in plasma cell that produce which of the foll??
sIgA,IgD,IgE,IgG or IgM ???-------- IgGAns

Q.foll prophylactic adm of amoxicillin pt become hypotensive and itchy and has diff breathing.what is most probably occuring?
2.IgE bound to antigen results in histamine release from mast cells-----ANS TYPE 1 HYPERSENSITIVITY

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Anaita, Can You please explain how propionyl co A is Gluconeogenic? Because,as for as i know, propionylcoA --> succinylcoA which can be utilised in three ways 1. in heme syn 2. ketone body oxidation 3.TCA cycle.
Hey dentstudnit,
Read that in Kaplan USMLE where in the discussion on substrates for gluconeogenesis it has been mentioned that odd number Carbon fatty A ( eg C17) yeild a small amt of Propionyl CoA -->Succinyl CoA].... my deduction isthat Succinyl CoA in the TCA continues to form Malate which through the Malate shuttle exits the Mitochondria---> OAA----> PEP and so forth in gluconeogenesis........

Hi Anaita, i think the sequence is like this...

succinyl coA( in mito by beta oxidation) --->Oxaloacetate (in mito thro TCA cycle) --->transferred to cytoplasm (thro citrate shuttle) -----> oxaloacetate (cytoplasm) ---> Malate ----> pyruvate--->gluconeogenesis

sIgA,IgD,IgE,IgG or IgM ???-------- IgGAns

2.IgE bound to antigen results in histamine release from mast cells-----ANS TYPE 1 HYPERSENSITIVITY
i thought of same ans too.are there mistakes in ans key of L pack too? acc to asda ans to 1st is IgE(which dont make any sense)and to 2nd qn is 1st option??

And In Malate shuttle ,mlate carries Electrons FROM CYTOPLASM TO MITOCHONDRIA.
@ Dentstudnit... malate can cross the mitochondrial m.. and therfore the OAA that is within the mitochondria must get reduced to malate or produce PEP for which there exists a specific transporter Refer ....Page 119 of Lippincott's Biochem Review...
Intermediates of the Kreb that mite serve other functions..
1)Citrate (citrate shuttle) lmight leave the mitochondria to deliverAcetyl CoA to the cytoplasm for FA synthesis
2) Succinyl CoA--->Activate ketone bodies in extrahepatic ts or heme synthesis
3)Malate (malate shuttle)--->>gluconeogenesis
Regulation of the Kreb Cycle by amt of NADH and ATP.. no role played by insulin or glucagon or any other hormone

Last edited:
Q. which of the foll primary grooves uniting in the distal pit on the occlusal surface of the mand 2molar represents the one that normally has no counterpart in the distal pit of the first molar?
a.distolingual
b.DF triangular
c.DL traingular
d.distal marginal
e.distal portion of the central
can anybody pls explain m this question???:(

q.between which of foll perm teeth lingual embrasure < facial embrasure? (a).max 1PM AND 2PM (b).max 2molar and 3molar (c).mand 1molar and 2molar (d).mand 1PM and 2PM??ans should be (b) right??

Last edited:
Q. which of the foll primary grooves uniting in the distal pit on the occlusal surface of the mand 2molar represents the one that normally has no counterpart in the distal pit of the first molar?
a.distolingual
b.DF triangular
c.DL traingular
d.distal marginal
e.distal portion of the central
can anybody pls explain m this question???:(

q.between which of foll perm teeth lingual embrasure < facial embrasure? (a).max 1PM AND 2PM (b).max 2molar and 3molar (c).mand 1molar and 2molar (d).mand 1PM and 2PM??ans should be (b) right??

for the 1st Q,i have no clue
the 2nd,i think its B,as max molars occlusally r wider in their lingual third of than their buccal third,which makes the lingual embrasures smaller in size than the facial ones

Members don't see this ad :)
thank u anaita , that all what i came across so far. u r right, there is lots to read......
can anyone please put the mechansim of action of steroids in reducing inflammation???

for glucocorticoids,its anti-inflammatory action is thru 2 steps:
1) suppressing the immune response : by interfering with the leukocyte inflammatory response of adhesion, emigration, chemotaxis, etc
2) inhibiting the synthesis of products of inflammation: by 2 ways:
A))) suppressing cyclooxygenase expression
B))) inhibiting phospholipase A2 (no prostaglandin or leukotrienes)

source is wikipedia:)

1.in molars root canal join the pulp chamber at-
apical to cervical line of crown or within the cervical third of crown???
2.which is most common route of transmission of VZV - resp or direct contact??
3.does contaminated dental instrument cause oral Tb??

Last edited:
Hey teethie,cindrella,pb2007,bratdoc,wdent,elmos where are all you guys?evrybody seem2 hv disappeared! all dos who finished ur test ,did u get ur results???? waitin to hear from u guys.

1.in molars root canal join the pulp chamber at-
apical to cervical line of crown or within the cervical third of crown???------apical to cervical line
2.which is most common route of transmission of VZV - resp or direct contact------respi(airborne):confused:
3.does contaminated dental instrument cause oral Tb??........no
:thumbup:

Hey teethie,cindrella,pb2007,bratdoc,wdent,elmos where are all you guys?evrybody seem2 hv disappeared! all dos who finished ur test ,did u get ur results???? waitin to hear from u guys.

Hey Perfectionist...
Iam still here ,my exam is within the first weak of december...What about u !!

hey guys,please there is a piece of info i need somebody to clarify
its about if patient got stabbed in left lung what will happen?
1) left lung collapses
2) both lungs collapse

thanx 4 help in advance:)

hello annie ,
i recieved my score last week .
got 88,now busy applyin to schools ,dont see any old faces here anymore other than wadent n u .
all the very best for ur exm buddy.

which segment of nephron has tubular fluid with HIGHEST OSMOLALITY??
a.PT b.distal tubule c.Henle's loop d.collecting duct e.bowman's capsule

Congrats pb2007 for ur score.:)

Guys, I am done with my exam and it was not an easy exam. But again, it was not very hard too. Basics and bascis is very important to be cleared. otherwise no use of reading multiple materials.
My special thanks to wdent, bratdoc, pb2007, annie(perfectionist1), cindrella, svetlana, elmos,anaita and all others who helped me in clearing the topics.

sdn discussion was very helpful.
guys, focus on your concepts.

hello annie ,
got 88,now busy applyin to schools ,dont see any old faces here anymore other than wadent n u .

Last edited:

Guys, I am done with my exam and it was not an easy exam. But again, it was not very hard too. Basics and bascis is very important to be cleared. otherwise no use of reading multiple materials.
My special thanks to wdent, bratdoc, pb2007, annie(perfectionist1), cindrella, svetlana, elmos,anaita and all others who helped me in clearing the topics.

good luck teethie for the results
congratulation pb:thumbup:

Last edited:
on which tooth surface contact area is at most cervical level??
in mand premolar2 y pattern is formed by which grooves??
which root surface of mand 1 molar donot exhibit longitudinal groove?

Good luck for results!

on which tooth surface contact area is at most cervical level??
in mand premolar2 y pattern is formed by which grooves??
which root surface of mand 1 molar donot exhibit longitudinal groove?

on which tooth surface contact area is at most cervical level??---Distal
in mand premolar2 y pattern is formed by which grooves??---1.mesial groove seperating buccal and mesiolingual triangular ridges 2.Distal groove seperating buccal and distallingual triangular ridges 3.ligual groove seperating lingual cusps.
which root surface of mand 1 molar donot exhibit longitudinal groove?Distal surface of mesial root --not sure

correct me if i'm wrong

on which tooth surface contact area is at most cervical level??---Distal - do u know for which specific tooth?
in mand premolar2 y pattern is formed by which grooves??---1.mesial groove seperating buccal and mesiolingual triangular ridges 2.Distal groove seperating buccal and distallingual triangular ridges 3.ligual groove seperating lingual cusps.:thumbup:
which root surface of mand 1 molar donot exhibit longitudinal groove?Distal surface of mesial root --not sure.

correct me if i'm wrong
about third ans im not sure too....i guess it was didtal of distal but i couldnt find it anywhere in text

about third ans im not sure too....i guess it was didtal of distal but i couldnt find it anywhere in text

on which tooth surface contact area is at most cervical level??---Distal and if there are teeth as options i would choose the most posterior distal surface
in mand premolar2 y pattern is formed by which grooves??---1.mesial groove seperating buccal and mesiolingual triangular ridges 2.Distal groove seperating buccal and distallingual triangular ridges 3.ligual groove seperating lingual cusps.
which root surface of mand 1 molar donot exhibit longitudinal groove?Distal surface of mesial root --not sure :oops: i've never came across this info before,anybody to confirm it??

correct me if i'm wrong

:)

An abnormal increase in BP in healthy person will result in an increase number of impulses traveling to the heart over which nerve?
A) Vagus --- key answer
B) Sympathetic
C) Branches of Thoracic
D) Branches of trigeminal
E) Branches of glossopharyngeal

this Q asking about the Compensation of the body,right????or else the answer would have been the sympathetic

another Q
CUSP TO FOSSA relationship,intercuspation,max 1st premolar MOST likely articulate with?
a)1st premolar --- key answer
b)1st and 2nd premolar --- my answer:xf:

is it a wrong answer or am i missing something here

thx 4 replying in advance:)

during life span of multirooted tooth,dentin continue to form MOST rapidly at:
a)within root canals
b)at DEJ
c)floor and roof of pulp chamber --- key answer WHY???
d)Mesial and distal walls of the chamber
e) facial and lingual walls of chamber

another one
each are similarities between chemical senses of smell and taste EXCEPT
a) receptor cells r replaced regularly
b)there r primary classes of taste and odor
c)receptors r on cilia or microvilli on apical end of cells
d)receptors initiate action potentials directly to respective cranial nerves --- answer (didnt understand whats wrong with this answer)
e)molecules must be dissolved in saliva or mucus to react with receptors membrane proteins

during life span of multirooted tooth,dentin continue to form MOST rapidly at:
a)within root canals
b)at DEJ
c)floor and roof of pulp chamber --- key answer WHY???
d)Mesial and distal walls of the chamber
e) facial and lingual walls of chamber
i think ans was (d):xf:
another one
each are similarities between chemical senses of smell and taste EXCEPT
a) receptor cells r replaced regularly
b)there r primary classes of taste and odor
c)receptors r on cilia or microvilli on apical end of cells
d)receptors initiate action potentials directly to respective cranial nerves --- answer (didnt understand whats wrong with this answer)
e)molecules must be dissolved in saliva or mucus to react with receptors membrane proteins
couldnt think of a valid reason:confused:

An abnormal increase in BP in healthy person will result in an increase number of impulses traveling to the heart over which nerve?
A) Vagus --- key answer---->
Arterial baroreceptors are present in the aortic arch and the carotid sinuses of the left and right internal carotid arteries. The baroreceptors found within the aortic arch enable the examination of the blood being delivered to all the blood vessels via the systemic circuit, and the baroreceptors within the carotid arteries monitor the blood pressure of the blood being delivered to the brain.[1]
Arterial baroreceptors are stimulated by pressure changes in the arteries. The baroreceptors can identify the changes in the blood pressure, which can increase or decrease the heart rate. They are sprayed nerve endings that lie in the tunica adventitia of the artery, not drug-binding molecules as the term receptor may suggest. The carotid sinus baroreceptors are innervated by the sinus nerve of Hering, which is a branch of the glossopharyngeal nerve (IX cranial nerve). The glossopharyngeal nerve synapses in the nucleus tractus solitarius (NTS) located in the medulla of the brainstem. The aortic arch baroreceptors are innervated by the aortic nerve, which then combines with the vagus nerve (X cranial nerve) traveling to the NTS. The NTS modulates the activity of sympathetic and parasympathetic (vagal) neurons in the medulla, which in turn regulate the autonomic control of the heart and blood vessels.
B) Sympathetic
C) Branches of Thoracic

this Q asking about the Compensation of the body,right????or else the answer would have been the sympathetic

another Q
CUSP TO FOSSA relationship,intercuspation,max 1st premolar MOST likely articulate with?
a)1st premolar --- key answer--->This is the ans

here,we have to consider only the cusp and fossa relatioship.Max 1st PM contacts the distal fossa of mand 1st PM

Last edited:
Parasympathetic (vagal) neuron tries to lower the blood presure in heart which is a compensatory mechanism for increase in BP in systemic circuit.

somebody plz confirm this - which complication of peptic ulcer is most common cause of death bleeding or perforation??

Hormones that exert their effects through the activation of second messengers are

1.Lipophilic
2.usually water soluble peptide/protein hormones
3.initially bound to cytoplasmic hormone receptors
4.secreted by ovaries .testes,adrenal cortex,and placenta

ans is 2 or 3???

Hormones that exert their effects through the activation of second messengers are

1.Lipophilic
2.usually water soluble peptide/protein hormones
3.initially bound to cytoplasmic hormone receptors
4.secreted by ovaries .testes,adrenal cortex,and placenta

ans is 2 or 3???

got it.its 2 they r water soluble peptide /protein hormones.and they have cell mem receotors(so its not 3)

somebody plz confirm this - which complication of peptic ulcer is most common cause of death bleeding or perforation??

i read it in this thread i guess
Bleeding is the most common coplication
but perforation is the most common cause of death

A) Vagus --- key answer---->
Arterial baroreceptors are present in the aortic arch and the carotid sinuses of the left and right internal carotid arteries. The baroreceptors found within the aortic arch enable the examination of the blood being delivered to all the blood vessels via the systemic circuit, and the baroreceptors within the carotid arteries monitor the blood pressure of the blood being delivered to the brain.[1]
Arterial baroreceptors are stimulated by pressure changes in the arteries. The baroreceptors can identify the changes in the blood pressure, which can increase or decrease the heart rate. They are sprayed nerve endings that lie in the tunica adventitia of the artery, not drug-binding molecules as the term receptor may suggest. The carotid sinus baroreceptors are innervated by the sinus nerve of Hering, which is a branch of the glossopharyngeal nerve (IX cranial nerve). The glossopharyngeal nerve synapses in the nucleus tractus solitarius (NTS) located in the medulla of the brainstem. The aortic arch baroreceptors are innervated by the aortic nerve, which then combines with the vagus nerve (X cranial nerve) traveling to the NTS. The NTS modulates the activity of sympathetic and parasympathetic (vagal) neurons in the medulla, which in turn regulate the autonomic control of the heart and blood vessels.
B) Sympathetic
C) Branches of Thoracic

another Q
a)1st premolar --- key answer--->This is the ans

here,we have to consider only the cusp and fossa relatioship.Max 1st PM contacts the distal fossa of mand 1st PM

thanks 4 the explanation dentstudnit:thumbup:

got it.its 2 they r water soluble peptide /protein hormones.and they have cell mem receotors(so its not 3)

:cool: sometimes it happens to me,i read the question several times but couldnt understand the answer,but until i start posting it here i figure out that i was missing a word or two of the question :p

hello annie ,
Hearty congratulations pb2007....dats a koool score!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
its so nice to see evrybody from the group getting gud scores!

@teethie....thanx for ur inputs teethie....hope to see u in the list along with svetlana n pb.gudluck with it....:)
@wdent.....gudluck for ur exm wdent.hope u succeed.:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.