Lets discuss questions of NBDE 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d dimps

d dimps
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1). .Which angle does a P Wave makes on ECG?
a). .45 degree
b). .180 degree
c). .0 degree
d). .-45 degree
e). .-180 degree.

2). .What is endogenous cholesterol? Most endogenous cholesterol is converted to?
a). .Glucose
b). .Cholic acid
c). .Steroid
d). .Oxaloacetete
e). .Ketone bodies

3). .Which of the following statement is correct regarding Glioblastoma multiforme?
a). .the tumor is most common before puberty
b). .it is classified as a type of meningioma
c). .it is most common type of Astrocytoma.
d). .Its prognosis is generally more favourablethan Grade 1 astrocytoma.
e). .It is derived from the epithelial lining of ventricles

4). .Which of the following pathological changes is irreversible?
a). .fatty changes in liver cells
b). .karyolysis in myocardial cells
c). .glycogen deposition in hepatocyte nuclei
d). .hydropic vacuolization of renal tubular epithelial cells.

5). .An example of Synergism is the effect of?
a). .insulin and glucagon on blood glucose
b). .estrogen and progesterone on uterine motility
c). .growth hormone and thyroxine on skeletal growth.
d). .Antidiuretic hormone and aldosterone on potassium excretion.

Members don't see this ad.

But from what i know lower motor neuron start from spinal cord level(from higher centres till spinal cord is UPM and from spinal cord to periphery is LMN)isn't this right?? so section of nerve below medulla should be UPM after decussation??

for me i understand it as this:
UPPER MOTOR NEURON : inside CNS
LOWER MOTOR NEURON : outside CNS
all the crossing occur in medulla for motors and at the level of nerve exit for the sensory,so by this i concluded that its loss of everything on the same side
and a hint for this Q,imagine that they cut the trigeminal ganglia with the underneath motor root of trigeminal,which both are after exiting the medulla ---> ipsilateral flaccid paralysis and loss of sensation

the preparation time was 6 months and half, i studied kaplan book but i didn't do anatomy from there, i did anatomy from nbde first aid and decks,
but for revision i concentrate on my note and nbde first aid, and u have to do first chapter of okesson at least, if u do the first 6 is better.

Congrats elmos on ur score...and all the best for ur admissions...but i have a doubt..by kaplan which book u are referring to..then kaplan nbde review book or the kaplan lecture notes they provide for each subject...and if possible cud u be a little more elaborate on how u went about with ur prep as to which sub first and then when u started to revise, how many revisions u went for in each sub..

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys this Q was asked before but no one find a clue about it
so plz ,if anyone can elaborate on it a little

26-For which is the first group of the flwng pairs more likely to be located on the surface of a globular protein than the second group of the pair?
a- -CONH2 -COO-
b- -CH2 -CH(CH2)2
c- -CH2OH -NH4+
d- -CH3 -CH2OH
e- -CH2SH –COO

let me start putting some notes here
Q is a sking about globular protien,what i know about globular protein is ' in the interior there is LEUCINE & VALINE),so this put us in a position to look for branched AA to be the 2nd pair ---- which is only one option (B)
am i right ??? or its just my brain asking for some rest??:laugh:

Congrats elmos on ur score...and all the best for ur admissions...but i have a doubt..by kaplan which book u are referring to..then kaplan nbde review book or the kaplan lecture notes they provide for each subject...and if possible cud u be a little more elaborate on how u went about with ur prep as to which sub first and then when u started to revise, how many revisions u went for in each sub..

i did kaplan lecture note, first and then i did nbde first aid, and then i did decks.
for revision, i used only nbde first aid and the note that i took from kaplan,
and used the internet a lot for the research of subjects, that are not clear.

Last edited:
hey guys this Q was asked before but no one find a clue about it
so plz ,if anyone can elaborate on it a little

26-For which is the first group of the flwng pairs more likely to be located on the surface of a globular protein than the second group of the pair?
a- -CONH2 -COO-
b- -CH2 -CH(CH2)2
c- -CH2OH -NH4+
d- -CH3 -CH2OH
e- -CH2SH –COO

let me start putting some notes here
Q is a sking about globular protien,what i know about globular protein is ' in the interior there is LEUCINE & VALINE),so this put us in a position to look for branched AA to be the 2nd pair ---- which is only one option (B)
am i right ??? or its just my brain asking for some rest??:laugh:
is the correct ans c?? in globular proteins hydrophilic aa are present on the outside.options a,c,e all 3 have hydrphilic aa.so correct ans is one of these.but i cant find any hard and fast rule to apply here so instead go with intuition:p(if u know how v compare which is better hydrophilic group do let me know:oops:)

Last edited:
a- -CONH2 -COO-
b- -CH2 -CH(CH2)2
c- -CH2OH -NH4+
d- -CH3 -CH2OH
e- -CH2SH –COO

Here is my way to get the ans for this ques. For which of the following pairs is the first group more likely to be located on the surface of a globular protein than the second group of the pair.?

among the options given above I think A.-CONH2 (amide) -COO (acetate) shud be the ans.To be on the surface of the globular protein,AA shud be hydrophilic(polar).here amide(NH2) is more highly polar than acid(COOH).In the rest of the options,first group is either less polar or neutral when compared to the second group.
correct me if i'm wrong.

is the correct ans c?? in globular proteins hydrophilic aa are present on the outside.options a,c,e all 3 have hydrphilic aa.so correct ans is one of these.but i cant find any hard and fast rule to apply here so instead go with intuition:p(if u know how v compare which is better hydrophilic group do let me know:oops:)

R19 ur right (A,C E) has a hydrophilic group in the 2nd pair,so this makes them definitely wrong answers:)
i think ur missing the main thing in the Q,its stating that the 1st pair must be more hydrophilic than the 2nd(which are both in the same option seperated by a dash -)
so to look for easiest and most correct answer we try to find a hydrophobic group in the 2nd pairs and compare it with the 1st group
so only B has a hydrophobic group in the 2nd pair,so its the right answer

and about finding a way to compare the hydrophilic groups,i didnt understand how we can compare it,but at least i find a table showing the powers of each amino acid as a hydrophilic or phobic (so this is one of the stuff to be memorized :rolleyes:)

here's the link of the table
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/life-sc...arning-center/amino-acid-reference-chart.html

Last edited:
Hi Playmaker83,
I dont think ques says that second group shud be non polar to be in hydrophobic end.The Ques is jst to compare the two groups and asking which one is more polar than the other to be on the surface of the protein.
confused!!!

around 5-6 weeks.goin through previous qn papers took so much time:( i have to start the next round of whole course again....im worried bout how will i finish whole thing(review book wid decks and asda papers)in such short time...any suggestions??

same here...6 weeks with me and so much stuff to revise :(

am trying to do decks alongwith revisions of the subjects...

omg , its so scary... hahha , its evn more scary than the pre med.

dnt worry , goodluck :)

b/w > ELMOS , WT A GREAT SCORE !! NO DOUBT , u deserved it :):thumbup:

goodluck cyndrella and teethie :):xf:

a- -CONH2 -COO- --- 1st pair is polar neutral,2ns is polar charged
b- -CH2 -CH(CH2)2 --- my answer:xf: (2nd phobic)
c- -CH2OH -NH4+ --- 1st pair has hydroxyl group,2nd is charged ammonia (both philic)
d- -CH3 -CH2OH --- 1st methyl (which i dont know if its hydrophilic) ,2nd is hydroxyl (2nd is sure philic)
e- -CH2SH –COO --1st polar neutral,2nd carboxilic acid (both philich)

Here is my way to get the ans for this ques. For which of the following pairs is the first group more likely to be located on the surface of a globular protein than the second group of the pair.?

among the options given above I think A.-CONH2 (amide) -COO (acetate) shud be the ans.To be on the surface of the globular protein,AA shud be hydrophilic(polar).here amide(NH2) is more highly polar than acid(COOH).In the rest of the options,first group is either less polar or neutral when compared to the second group.
correct me if i'm wrong.

these type of Q that made the NDBE hard to get :(
i wish they take them out of the 400Q in my day:D

Members don't see this ad :)
according to kaplan notes :

1. mandibular first and maxillary first primary molars resemble nothing in permanent dentition .

2. maxillary first primary molar most resembles premolar .

so , what exactly is true for maxillary first primary molar ????

according to kaplan notes :

1. mandibular first and maxillary first primary molars resemble nothing in permanent dentition .

2. maxillary first primary molar most resembles premolar .

so , what exactly is true for maxillary first primary molar ????

No,only mand first primary molar is unique in the dentition.

Hi Playmaker83,
I dont think ques says that second group shud be non polar to be in hydrophobic end.The Ques is jst to compare the two groups and asking which one is more polar than the other to be on the surface of the protein.
confused!!!

hey dentstudnit;)
ur totally right,its not mentioned,neither mentioned anything about hydrophilic,but this was my approach for the Q because i dont think its within our limit of study or know which is more and which is less in regard of hydrophilic properties and i believe in something that all the Q in the exam are about a small concept everybody should know,and the difficulty of the Q is how hidden this concept is:cool:
so when i read this Q about globular protein,1st think i tried to collect what basic info i got about it,which is hydrophobic AA are in the interior of it
so if one of the options is stating that a hydrophobic AA is more likely to be on the exterior,that one would be the wrong one :(
this is my opinion which i know it may be wrong
so plz if anybody have an idea ,lets discuss it
these discussions are the only thing that makes the information stuck in mind

hey dentstudnit;)
ur totally right,its not mentioned,neither mentioned anything about hydrophilic,but this was my approach for the Q because i dont think its within our limit of study or know which is more and which is less in regard of hydrophilic properties and i believe in something that all the Q in the exam are about a small concept everybody should know,and the difficulty of the Q is how hidden this concept is:cool:
so when i read this Q about globular protein,1st think i tried to collect what basic info i got about it,which is hydrophobic AA are in the interior of it
so if one of the options is stating that a hydrophobic AA is more likely to be on the exterior,that one would be the wrong one :(
this is my opinion which i know it may be wrong
so plz if anybody have an idea ,lets discuss it
these discussions are the only thing that makes the information stuck in mind

By this discussion i think i wont forget the polarity of the amino acids in the exam:laugh::laugh:

i looked up for it everywhere no sure ans:(.

.Culture with Y or H shaped filament organism would be ?????:confused:

i think i found something about this
C.diphtherium appears as Chinease letters in culture or it may produce CLUBS,and branching filaments,so does that mean it could be Y or H-shaped??
let's assume "YES it can",cz there's nothing else yet :laugh:

this Q is knocking every door,so plz try to find the right answer for it

Hello everyone,

I recently got my score for part 1 and scored 96% like Elmos!!! I am very happy and want to help everybody who is preparing for part 1 as much as I can.
I have gone through all the range of emotions you guys must be experiencing and let me tell you that's very normal.
I did participate in the forum few months back and tried answering some of the questions being discussed at that time. But when I saw the questions discussed by members like teethie, bratdoc, pb2007 etc. who I feel have made precious contribution to the forum, I freaked out! I started feeling I don't know anything and I have not prepared anything. I started feeling depressed and panicked. Never do that. Never doubt your capabilities. I am a foreign trained dentist like many of you here and we do have some gray matter up there which has gotten us so far:)
So I decided to take a break from this forum and focus on getting my basics clear.
I started in early May 2010 and appeared for my exam in early October 2010.

Ok so now what did I read, which is a given FAQ:D
I started with the old version of decks 2007 and nbde first aid which did not really get me anywhere and I was more confused than ever. I then read Kaplan review book which was helpful but still not enough. My biggest fear initially was Biochemistry!! I decided to change my strategy and had a good look at the Candidate guide on ada website and the weightage for each topic. Wikipedia was my biggest friend and so were a lot of websites of various universities which have beautiful articles about many of these processes like Kreb's cycle, glycolysis etc. I also got hold of Lehningers Principles of Biochemsitry 5th edition from my public library and thank god for that. Its such a beautiful book and cleared so many of my doubts. If you have the time, do read some of the broad topics at the least from this book. Apparently the ADA examiners consult this book when they set questions. I know this by randomly searching for nbde part 1 reference books on the ADA website where you will find the whole list of books consulted by examiners.
Solve as many of the asda released papers as possible n you will know ur weaknesses.
I got hold of the latest decks which I read just a little bit because it had lots of mistakes and too many corrections on their website. I did not read the decks at all for my exam. It's a personal choice and I know it's a very popular source for students. But its all about what works for you. I got hold of the USMLE Kaplan lecture notes in the end. I wish I had it before becos they are really incredible. Whatever time I had left, I did read the Molecular Biology, Genetics, some chapters in Microbiology, physio/patho. If you want to score high, Kaplan lecture notes are the way to go.
So in summary
1.) Anatomy: Nbde 1st aid(beware of the mistakes in it), Kaplan review, websites of universities (esp Univ of Michigan, dartsmouth etc), Wikipedia. Embryology is not covered well in either of these books. Try Google books for usmle high yield and Indiana university website
2.) Biochem/physio: nbde 1st aid is hopeless. I read Kaplan review, lecture notes, lehninger, wiki, internet.
3.) Micropatho: 1st aid, Kaplan review. Do read USMLE first aid which is a gem of a book for the last month when you are reviewing. Its designed to help students retain material. It's a must read for Micro section and biochem.
4.) DA/DH: Orban's for DH. DA was the most frustrating subject for me in the end becos NBDE 1st aid had hardly any matter. Kaplan review is ok but it has lots of conflicting answers compared to the released asda answers. I solved all the asda papers I had and made notes from them!!! Also try google books for whatever books u can find for DA. Okeson is a must read for chaps 1-6.

I know this is long but I wanted to share and help every1 with my experiences.
I have gone thru all…rescheduling my exams, to going blank, feeling I won't retain anything, I don't know anything:)Don't look for shortcuts and feel that u can cover everything with just one book or just the decks. It doesn't work that way especially for the testlets in the exams. Keep faith in yourself. You can do it!
I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have on this forum.

Last edited:
a- -CONH2 -COO-
b- -CH2 -CH(CH2)2
c- -CH2OH -NH4+
d- -CH3 -CH2OH
e- -CH2SH –COO

correct me if i'm wrong.

I will try to answer some of the questions being discussed here.
I think @dentstudnit is correct. Even I feel that the correct answer is A.
I searched for the most polar gorups and Amide is the most polar.
The sequence of most polar groups is this:
Amide>Acid>Alcohol>ketone>aldehyde>Amine>Ester>Ether>Alkane.

So I feel choice A is the only one that fits the bill. It is indeed one of the tougher questions!

i think i found something about this
C.diphtherium appears as Chinease letters in culture or it may produce CLUBS,and branching filaments,so does that mean it could be Y or H-shaped??
let's assume "YES it can",cz there's nothing else yet :laugh:

this Q is knocking every door,so plz try to find the right answer for it

Hmmm I am not sure of this one but check out this link which does mention something about Y-shaped organisms.
http://www.innvista.com/health/nutrition/biotics/proborg.htm

Look under Bifidobacterium strains.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm I am not sure of this one but check out this link which does mention something about Y-shaped organisms.
http://www.innvista.com/health/nutrition/biotics/proborg.htm

Look under Bifidobacterium strains.

Hope this helps.

It's hard to say without answer options, but would another possibility (and a more common one) be Actinomyces sp.? Micro is not my strong suit, but I do know that they are "branching filaments"?

a- -CONH2 -COO-
b- -CH2 -CH(CH2)2
c- -CH2OH -NH4+
d- -CH3 -CH2OH
e- -CH2SH –COO

correct me if i'm wrong.
:thumbup:i think ur right.

same here...6 weeks with me and so much stuff to revise :(

am trying to do decks alongwith revisions of the subjects...

omg , its so scary... hahha , its evn more scary than the pre med.

dnt worry , goodluck :)

b/w > ELMOS , WT A GREAT SCORE !! NO DOUBT , u deserved it :):thumbup:

goodluck cyndrella and teethie :):xf:
gud luck to u 2:)

I will try to answer some of the questions being discussed here.
I think @dentstudnit is correct. Even I feel that the correct answer is A.
I searched for the most polar gorups and Amide is the most polar.
The sequence of most polar groups is this:
Amide>Acid>Alcohol>ketone>aldehyde>Amine>Ester>Ether>Alkane.

So I feel choice A is the only one that fits the bill. It is indeed one of the tougher questions!
hey thanx for puttin up that sequence....it ans the qn easily:thumbup:

I have my exam in next ten days.can u suggest me how and what shud i prepare these days..:scared:

Hey dentstudnit

First and foremost don't freak out!
It seems from your discussions that you have prepared well.

For the last 10 days I tried to review as many of the major topics as possible. I made it a point to resolve released papers everyday as well. Do you have the USMLE 1st aid? If u do then its pretty helpful.
Also, go through Anatomy depending on how much time you have, at least the whole of nbde 1st aid cos anatomy is basically memory and one tends to forget if not revised in the last few days.

Hey dentstudnit

First and foremost don't freak out!
It seems from your discussions that you have prepared well.

For the last 10 days I tried to review as many of the major topics as possible. I made it a point to resolve released papers everyday as well. Do you have the USMLE 1st aid? If u do then its pretty helpful.
Also, go through Anatomy depending on how much time you have, at least the whole of nbde 1st aid cos anatomy is basically memory and one tends to forget if not revised in the last few days.

Thank you so much for ur valuable suggestion and time Gotaf.I'll stick to what u said.Thanks once again:)

Hello everyone,

I recently got my score for part 1 and scored 96% like Elmos!!! I am very happy and want to help everybody who is preparing for part 1 as much as I can.

@gotaf-hey congratulations!!!u did a gr8 job!!!hats off to u.....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
n also thanx a million for ur feedbck abt the exm....helps alot!!!
iam kinda in the same situation as u were....the qestns discussed by bratdoc,teethie n evrybdy use to scare me!!!....now iam jus concentratin on basics!n yes true biochem sucks!!!
gudluck wid admissions!

Hello everyone,

I did participate in the forum few months back and tried answering some of the questions being discussed at that time. But when I saw the questions discussed by members like teethie, bratdoc, pb2007 etc. who I feel have made precious contribution to the forum, I freaked out! I started feeling I don’t know anything and I have not prepared anything. I started feeling depressed and panicked. Never do that. Never doubt your capabilities. I am a foreign trained dentist like many of you here and we do have some gray matter up there which has gotten us so far:)
So I decided to take a break from this forum and focus on getting my basics clear.
I started in early May 2010 and appeared for my exam in early October 2010.

Ok so now what did I read, which is a given FAQ:D
I started with the old version of decks 2007 and nbde first aid which did not really get me anywhere and I was more confused than ever. I then read Kaplan review book which was helpful but still not enough. My biggest fear initially was Biochemistry!! I decided to change my strategy and had a good look at the Candidate guide on ada website and the weightage for each topic. Wikipedia was my biggest friend and so were a lot of websites of various universities which have beautiful articles about many of these processes like Kreb’s cycle, glycolysis etc. I also got hold of Lehningers Principles of Biochemsitry 5th edition from my public library and thank god for that. Its such a beautiful book and cleared so many of my doubts. If you have the time, do read some of the broad topics at the least from this book. Apparently the ADA examiners consult this book when they set questions. I know this by randomly searching for nbde part 1 reference books on the ADA website where you will find the whole list of books consulted by examiners.
Solve as many of the asda released papers as possible n you will know ur weaknesses.
I got hold of the latest decks which I read just a little bit because it had lots of mistakes and too many corrections on their website. I did not read the decks at all for my exam. It’s a personal choice and I know it’s a very popular source for students. But its all about what works for you. I got hold of the USMLE Kaplan lecture notes in the end. I wish I had it before becos they are really incredible. Whatever time I had left, I did read the Molecular Biology, Genetics, some chapters in Microbiology, physio/patho. If you want to score high, Kaplan lecture notes are the way to go.
So in summary
1.) Anatomy: Nbde 1st aid(beware of the mistakes in it), Kaplan review, websites of universities (esp Univ of Michigan, dartsmouth etc), Wikipedia. Embryology is not covered well in either of these books. Try Google books for usmle high yield and Indiana university website
2.) Biochem/physio: nbde 1st aid is hopeless. I read Kaplan review, lecture notes, lehninger, wiki, internet.
3.) Micropatho: 1st aid, Kaplan review. Do read USMLE first aid which is a gem of a book for the last month when you are reviewing. Its designed to help students retain material. It’s a must read for Micro section and biochem.
4.) DA/DH: Orban’s for DH. DA was the most frustrating subject for me in the end becos NBDE 1st aid had hardly any matter. Kaplan review is ok but it has lots of conflicting answers compared to the released asda answers. I solved all the asda papers I had and made notes from them!!! Also try google books for whatever books u can find for DA. Okeson is a must read for chaps 1-6.

I know this is long but I wanted to share and help every1 with my experiences.
I have gone thru all…rescheduling my exams, to going blank, feeling I won’t retain anything, I don’t know anything:)Don’t look for shortcuts and feel that u can cover everything with just one book or just the decks. It doesn’t work that way especially for the testlets in the exams. Keep faith in yourself. You can do it!
I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have on this forum.

Thnx so much Gotaf; & congratulations on that awesome score. You could'nt be closer to the truth... i have been overwhelmed by the same range of emotions and despair in the last some days since i started visiting the sdn and realising hw little i know and hw unprepared i am to take the exam. And also have the benefit of having the Kaplan USMLE and BRS which personally seem to be far superior in the information perspective they provide.. but evrything i read seems to just evaporate into thin air... am grateful to you for writing across and guiding us at this juncture.. am planning to take the exam next May or June... and am sure gonna follow your advice to the 'T'... Wish you goodluck for your admissions :)

all is true of herpes simplex type 1,except:
a)most infections are subclinical
b)latent virus resides in neural ganglia
c)most lesions occur in or around oral cavity
d) recurrent lesion are more severe than the primary
e) lipid solvent would be expected to inactivate the virus

what do u think the answer is??

i think its d.:xf:

all cause malabsorption of vitamins ,fats and protiens EXCEPT:
a) atrophic gastric gastritis
b) obstructive jaundice
c) ulcerative colitis
d) crohn's disease
e) giardiasis

but aren't the primary lesions mostly subclinical???

Even i think its D.recurrent infections occur in patients who r already infected with virus .so comparatively,most of the herpes infections are Primary which r almost subclinical.

choice D is about herpes simplex III.
correct me if i'm wrong.

agree....its D.
yes usually the disease is subclinical...but option d is just a comparision in terms of severity...be it subclinical or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.