LET'S HELP EACH OTHER OUT: What books are better for each section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bostonienses

Tripping on lactic acid
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right, so I have EK and Kaplan. I think Kaplan does a really good job with general chemistry, whereas EK has an awesome Orgo review and a better-than-Kaplan physics review. I have no preference for Bio.
I heard that Berkeley is unmatched when it comes to chemistry, and there are different views out there in regards to verbal reasoning strategy.
So let's start this up:
What are you guys using, and do you have a favourite when it comes to a particular section?

Members don't see this ad.

So far I've pretty much been using my tpr books to review, and then I would use the EK 1001 books for some extra practice after reading the chapters in tpr books. I find that some of the questions are rather difficult but it does help me integrate the material. I also just got the EK verbal books, and I think it will definitely help me out.

I took the MCAT last April.

I would suggest using the Examkrackers review books for all subjects because they present the material concisely and simply.

I would also suggest the Examkrackers 1001 books because they are great for reinforcement -- after you review the material in the review books, learn and study by doing questions rather than memorizing. Memorizing doesn't help you do well on the MCAT - you have to understand by answering questions

Most improtant: practice tests.
AAMC tests and Princeton Review tests were the best for me

I really like the Kaplan Bio/Ochem book. I thought it was alot easier to follow than the TPR for bio/ochem, but I liked the TPR physical science book. I'm also using the EK 1001 Verbal passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought the BR chem book and for better or worse, it covers stuff that's not even mentioned in italics in the EK book. I could read the EK book 3 times for every 1 read through of the BR, though. I think BR is better for ppl that start studying with BR relatively early.

It's been mentioned before, but the Physics book by Nova is really good. They present the material very cleanly (and even with a little humor). I thought their Chemistry book would be comparable - but it's not. Might check out the EK series.

How do you guys use the book? Do you guys pick a subject and read until you finish it, then read another subject until you finish all the subjects? or do you use them as references? For example, you're doing questions, and need more explanation, you would use the books to help you figure out the answers? Please explain how you would use them..