Letter of Interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Torilynn92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

What's the consensus on Letters of Interest? For example, if I'm status "File is Under Review" at all of the schools I've applied to for a long time (1 month+), would it be reasonable to send a letter to the school I'm most interested in re-iterating my desire to interview there? Or is that just overkill and annoying? Has anybody written Letters of Interest with good results?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The first thing is to check if the school is receptive to Letters of Interests. Some should have it on their website or online portal. Others, you may have to give them a call.

Its overkill... You paid application fees, took the time to fill out a secondary, etc... They know you are interested. They know if they decide to offer you an interview you will come. Schools get thousands of applications for a few hundred spots (at most), I doubt too many people are going to seriously look at a LOI

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Like others have said, letters of interest are essentially worthless. Update letters, however, can be useful provided that the school is actually open to getting them.

Waste of time.

Hello!

What's the consensus on Letters of Interest? For example, if I'm status "File is Under Review" at all of the schools I've applied to for a long time (1 month+), would it be reasonable to send a letter to the school I'm most interested in re-iterating my desire to interview there? Or is that just overkill and annoying? Has anybody written Letters of Interest with good results?
Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
OK! Thanks for the feedback. I figured as much!

def contingent on the school (at my last interview, they said they definitely welcome LOI + updates if you haven't heard back for a few months). i think post-interview LOI + updates is more worth your time, again if the school is receptive to this kind of thing.

Last edited:
How can you interpret a non-binding contract? Or are you talking about "Dear Dr ___ of Drexel, I have been accepted to schools X, Y Z and AA, but I really really just really want to come attend your school!"?

In that case, they may think you're fishing for a scholarship.

All the time, every time, even with multiple acceptances?

How can you interpret a non-binding contract? Or are you talking about "Dear Dr ___ of Drexel, I have been accepted to schools X, Y Z and AA, but I really really just really want to come attend your school!"?

In that case, they may think you're fishing for a scholarship.

Kind of the second case, with WL schools. So this is not an effective strategy? "Even though I've been accepted at these places, if accepted I would without a doubt matriculate at your institution"

Generally just makes you come off as an entitled douche. "Look at how special I am, so many schools want me! Don't you want me too because I'm totally awesome."

I kind of hoped the tone would come off more as like, "I really liked them but I like you more, so if you gave me a shot I am all for it". Not being needy or greedy but more honest.

All of this is in regard to getting WL by my top choice....

Kind of the second case, with WL schools. So this is not an effective strategy? "Even though I've been accepted at these places, if accepted I would without a doubt matriculate at your institution"

I kind of hoped the tone would come off more as like, "I really liked them but I like you more, so if you gave me a shot I am all for it". Not being needy or greedy but more honest.

All of this is in regard to getting WL by my top choice....
I'm just telling it like it is mayne. Top choices generally know that you're pandering to them and it comes off as neutral at best and negative at worst.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!

Thanks!
Your LOI was your secondary fee. Anything more is just awkward.

It's like hanging around after a one night stand. If they like what they saw, they'll call you.

I attended a school that at the interview day said "if you're interested let us know" (implying during the cycle not as a waitlistee) - would a letter of interest be appropriate in that case?

I attended a school that at the interview day said "if you're interested let us know" (implying during the cycle not as a waitlistee) - would a letter of interest be appropriate in that case?
If you have been interviewed, waitlisted, and then accepted to a better (or cheaper!) school, contact after April 30th is a reasonable plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've interviewed at a few schools (and been waitlisted at one) that said specifically, "Please write us update letters periodically, and if you are very interested in this school, please let us know so that we can factor that into future consideration. We are more likely to accept you off the waitlist if you demonstrate interest." But again, this is post-interview. I don't know if these types of letters will matter or work, but I figured if they are asking for them, it doesn't hurt to send them.