Letter of Rec: science prof-research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogata23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I performed research for credit, so would be obtaining a letter from my research professor meet the requirement of getting a letter of rec from a science professor? Not sure if they are just looking for chem, biology, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Similar but different situation for me, I had my PI (for whom I did research for BIO credit) give me a letter, but I also took a class of his.

You should have one from a science professor who taught you in a science course at university. You can also use your PI letter as another "science" letter but it's better to have both.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think BU accepts the "professor that has taught you in a class" letter from a prof that you have done research with for credit and got a grade, but I'm not sure about other schools.

I dont see why there would be any issue with a professor that you get credit with. For example, I had my PI write a letter for me who I was with for 3 years in Cardiovascular Research. I submitted and presented a honors journal to the Biology Department with this person as my mentor. This same PI also gave me grades for 3 semesters as well for the research. So.... I dont know why that wouldnt count as 1 of 2 science professor letters.

I performed research for credit, so would be obtaining a letter from my research professor meet the requirement of getting a letter of rec from a science professor? Not sure if they are just looking for chem, biology, etc.
I know people who have done that so it is allowed.

I had letters from both a research PI and a prof who actually taught me in a physical classroom. I think you should try to get both types.