Letter of Reccommendation for Path Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tatyana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm an MS-4 applying to pathology residencies this summer/fall, for 2016. I'm gathering my letters of reccommendation and currently will get one from a pathologist, one from a PhD with whom I did research, and ____. Trying to figure that last one out. When you path residents applied, which did you find was the best "non-path" perspective to go by? If I were to choose a physician who I think would write a good letter for me because of how I did on the rotation, it'd be either ob/gyn, psychiatry, or anesthesiology. I just really didn't stand out much on IM, surgery, or family med for them to have anything productive to say there, I think, so taking a "generalist" point of view for that third letter wouldn't be too helpful. However, do some programs require one IM letter? If not, then among ob, psych, or anesthesia, would one letter be best over the other?

Members don't see this ad.

A second pathologist, unless you have someone in mind who is going to write you a stellar third LOR. Your Dean's letter will be filled to the brim with information about how you did on your clinical rotations.

Reactions: 1 user