Letter of recommendation question as rising M4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgamon8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going into fourth year, I have one psych letter and hopefully gain more. I want an IM letter but Im not too excited about doing an inpatient sub-I rotation during June when I am taking Step 2, but all other months are full.
During my third year clerkship I was on a team where we only spent a week with an attending and I didn’t really connect with anyone. So I could ask one of them but I would have to really remind them of who I was.

What are your thoughts on an outpatient IM rotation instead? I could also do inpatient or outpatient pediatrics.

One IM I like has worked with me on several DEI projects but not clinically so I imagine this wouldn’t be great

Members don't see this ad.

You should have some non-psych letters. an IM letter from a hospital based rotation is nice but not mandatory. A neuro letter would also be good. Peds is good as well, especially if you want to do CAP. Consider electives that might be helpful as a psychiatrist where you could get a letter. Palliative medicine, geriatrics, endocrinology could be particularly useful electives that you could get a letter from. Many of the top programs are very interested in evaluating contribution to DEIA as part of the residency selection, so I would definitely include a 4th letter from the one who has worked on those projects with you, but you want 3 clinical letters at least 1 psych and one non-psych (ideally medicine, peds, or neuro).

Agree with splik. You don't need an IM letter specifically, but you do need a non-psych letter. An inpatient subi is preferred so you can demonstrate you'll be a good off-service intern. Peds would be fine.