Letter Writer at Transient University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tripolitania

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently taking Biology 2 this summer as a transient student at 4 year university near home. A benefit this school has, that my home institution does not, is much smaller class sizes, and as a result I have developed quite the rapport with my professor and was hoping to knock out one of my science LOR requirements.

My two questions is will this letter be looked down upon as this is a summer course and was taken at a university other than my own? Secondly, I am currently a rising sophomore and plan on applying my junior year, but have heard that getting a LOR this early is not recommended. Some solutions I have heard regarding my second is issue is to have them date the letter in advance, would one suggest this?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently taking Biology 2 this summer as a transient student at 4 year university near home. I have developed quite the rapport with my professor and was hoping to knock out one of my science LOR requirements. My two questions is will this letter be looked down upon as this is a summer course and was taken at a university other than my own? Secondly, I am currently a rising sophomore and plan on applying my junior year, but have heard that getting a LOR this early is not recommended. Some solutions I have heard regarding my second is issue is to have them date the letter in advance, would one suggest this?
A letter is a letter. As long as this professor knew you well and can evaluate you objectively and positively, it doesn't matter whether they're from your home institution or some other 4 year university. Med schools do prefer letters that are current, ideally within the past few years, so if you're applying at the end of 3rd year, your letter now will be fine.

For your LOR, many possible ways to go about this.. You can inform your letter writer of your intention to ask them for a letter later on so they can jot down notes of you now and then write it closer to the submission date, or they can write the letter now and then update the date closer to the submission. The benefit of doing this is that you will have two years of keeping in touch with them, which in turn may translate to a stronger letter. The downside is that they might flake out on you like overdone salmon. They could also just write it now and submit it as is. Not a big deal. The letter will be seen as 'current' in all of these circumstances.

Reactions: 1 user
A letter is a letter. As long as this professor knew you well and can evaluate you objectively and positively, it doesn't matter whether they're from your home institution or some other 4 year university. Med schools do prefer letters that are current, ideally within the past few years, so if you're applying at the end of 3rd year, your letter now will be fine.

For your LOR, many possible ways to go about this.. You can inform your letter writer of your intention to ask them for a letter later on so they can jot down notes of you now and then write it closer to the submission date, or they can write the letter now and then update the date closer to the submission. The benefit of doing this is that you will have two years of keeping in touch with them, which in turn may translate to a stronger letter. The downside is that they might flake out on you like overdone salmon. They could also just write it now and submit it as is. Not a big deal. The letter will be seen as 'current' in all of these circumstances.

First off, thanks for your detailed response. Now, in regard to the letter writing service would you suggest I use interfolio? Additionally, given your suggestion of having them update the letter as the date of submission approaches, is it possible with interfolio? or do you mean literally have them physically write it out, and then have them submit to interfolio when the time comes? Lastly, if I do use interfolio will it store the letter for free until I send my letter it out to AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, thanks for your detailed response. Now, in regard to the letter writing service would you suggest I use interfolio? Additionally, given your suggestion of having them update the letter as the date of submission approaches, is it possible with interfolio? or do you mean literally have them physically write it out, and then have them submit to interfolio when the time comes? Lastly, if I do use interfolio will it store the letter for free until I send my letter it out to AMCAS?
Interfolio is the one that I know of apart from the AMCAS letter upload service. The letter writer will need to re-date the letter themselves and then submit it to whichever letter service you use. Interfolio can be used to store the letter ahead of time. I'm not sure what their payment model is, so you'll need to check on their site.

Reactions: 1 user
Interfolio is the one that I know of apart from the AMCAS letter upload service. The letter writer will need to re-date the letter themselves and then submit it to whichever letter service you use. Interfolio can be used to store the letter ahead of time. I'm not sure what their payment model is, so you'll need to check on their site.
Also one last thing, would you suggest I provide him with AMCAS LOR guidelines document?