Letters of interests in December/January

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anothermedstudent98

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few questions:

• Is it worth it to send Letter of Interest/Updates to schools that you haven't received a II at in December/January? Just not sure if it is a waste of time. (The schools I would be sending to are Thomas Jefferson, Emory, Michigan, Hackensack Meridian, Brown, and Stony Brook -- in-state)
  • Should I send an update letter to a school that I have an interview with in Feb or would it be best to wait and mention the updates in my interview?
  • When is the best time to send a letter of intent to a school that you've been waitlisted at?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you read "While you are waiting", the article we published earlier this year?

1) It's a Hail Mary, but it's very common that people send checkup or interest letters after the new year. Interview spots open up so unless there is another way the school wants to know if you are interested, it's worth a shot. You never know.

2) Wait until your interview to update. Don't plan on a Intent letter until you know you are waitlisted and are in the CYMS process.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is very helpful thank you! I interviewed at my dream school back in November but they don’t release decisions until March. Should I send an update/letter of intent sometime in January or should I just wait until after the decisions are released?

This is very helpful thank you! I interviewed at my dream school back in November but they don’t release decisions until March. Should I send an update/letter of intent sometime in January or should I just wait until after the decisions are released?
What were you told at your interview about whether they take updates?

If you have grades from the fall term, you can notify the school you already interviewed with. Again, don't expect anything if they don't make decisions until March.
Thank you so much! Is there any point to sending a letter of interest before decisions are released?

Thank you so much! Is there any point to sending a letter of interest before decisions are released?
If they take updates, then send an update.

Is there a point to send a letter before decisions are released? No, not really, but you never know.

Reactions: 1 users