Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalGirl5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a letter of recommendation from a Stats professor (it's a Statistics for the Life Sciences course specifically geared toward those in the Biological Sciences). I also have one from an Organic Chemistry professor. I've called a couple schools (namely UPenn and Case) and they've both said that that's fine as a science professor, while MWU-IL said that they wouldn't accept the Stats professor as a science letter. Do any of you happen to know what other schools will/won't accept a Stats professor? If you've had any experience with a Stats letter yourself, let me know! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Number is 2480 and it just says "Stat for the Life Sci".
Isn't the course number different for all universities though?
(Thank you for your help!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Number is 2480 and it just says "Stat for the Life Sci".
Isn't the course number different for all universities though?
(Thank you for your help!)
When a school says they require letters from a science professor, the unspoken and unwritten rule of thumb is that is should be from a professor in the biology, chemistry, or physics departments.

While a good grade and a great letter from a stats, nutrition, or geology class/professor is nice, they do not speak at a higher volume than those in the BCP courses.

As I mentioned in my post, I've spoken to multiple schools that have indicated that it's completely satisfactory to use a Stats professor as a science professor letter. If they're alright with it, along with my Organic Chemistry letter and Oral Surgeon letter and many shadowing/volunteer hours, I'd say I'm fine. My post was directed toward those who have had experience with a Stats letter and which schools do or do not accept such a letter. I do understand where you're coming from, though, so I did call and ask because it was something I was concerned about. Thankfully the ones I'm highly interested in said it's fine!

Last edited:
Yes the course number is different for every school but I was more concerned with the course abbreviation (bio, chem, math, etc.). Looking at the course name, it seems like it would be fine for most schools, but to keep it on the safe side I would call every school you are planning on applying to and see if they would accept it as a science LOR. Last thing you want is to have them say it doesn't count and you're stuck finding another person to write you a LOR.

Yes the course number is different for every school but I was more concerned with the course abbreviation (bio, chem, math, etc.). Looking at the course name, it seems like it would be fine for most schools, but to keep it on the safe side I would call every school you are planning on applying to and see if they would accept it as a science LOR. Last thing you want is to have them say it doesn't count and you're stuck finding another person to write you a LOR.
Thank you for your help! :) I'll definitely do that then. I appreciate it!