Life after EM/IM combined

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxwel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can Anyone tell me how is life after EM/IM combined residency please? How is the income potencial for combined rather than Em or IM alone? Thank you for your comments.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to hear more about this too (the career stuff more than the income stuff). I know we have at least one practicing EM/IM faculty member on SDN (kgunner).

Agreed, MS3 here and really really needing to go to one direction or the other, or just the combined route... :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
If your goal is to simply work in an ED, you are unlikely to get paid more than an EM graduate doing the same job. You are likely to be more competitive for that job, all else being equal your extra training will count.

As many EMIMs will be involved in some sort of leadership activity during their residency, this can really pay off in the long run. You would bring a unique skill set to a hospital that may be particularly valuable to them, and they would be willing to pay for it; for example if they are looking for someone to develop and run a hospitalist/proceduralist group, you may be one of the few people who can fulfill that role. Or perhaps you have been involved in research, residency administration, education... You can think of yourself as on par with someone who has done an EM residency and a fellowship.

In the current environment, EM pays a little more than IM.
If you end up doing some of both in your future practice, you would probably make less than doing straight EM and more than doing straight IM.

I think this training would prepare you well to work in a CDU.
You would have great perspective on what happens in the ED and beyond.

Outside of academics, I'm not sure how helpful this training would be for finding a job.
If anything I think it might limit your options because you would have to find something where they want that specific skill set. It's probably much easier to find a gig just practicing one or the other. Also I don't think it's fair to compare a new grad from EM to an EM/IM grad. A more useful comparision would be a new EM/IM grad vs. an EM grad with 2 years of work experience. I think most would take the guy with work experience.

If you really only see yourself being fufilled doing both, go for it.
Most people who like EM don't like IM and vice versa.

Don't do it if you are just not sure which one you like better.
If that's the reason, just pick one and move on with life.