Lifestyle specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrET

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which specialties are considered lifestyle specialties?

Members don't see this ad.

DrET said:
Radiology, ophthalmology, dermatology, sometimes ENT and anesthesiology are also called lifestyles.

DrET said:

The "ROAD to success" radiology-opthlamology-anesthesiology,dermatology. But, add pediatrics and ENT to this, PM&R, and pathology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ross434 said:
The "ROAD to success" radiology-opthlamology-anesthesiology,dermatology. But, add pediatrics and ENT to this, PM&R, and pathology.
One of these specialties does not belong :D

1. What is PM&R?

2. If you want to have a 9-to-5 lifestyle, why the hell are you going into medicine? Just be an accountant or something!

What does lifestyle specialty mean?

getunconcsious said:
1. What is PM&R?

2. If you want to have a 9-to-5 lifestyle, why the hell are you going into medicine? Just be an accountant or something!

PM&R is physical medicine and rehabilitation. It deals with muscles and bones, joint and movement problems, and physical therapy. It differs from orthopedics in that PM&R doesnt do surgery. Also stands for "plenty of money and relaxation".

A lifestyle specialty is one where it's relatively easy to work few hours. (40 or less)

i dont know why people think anesthesiology is a lifestyle specialty. my dad is an anesthesiologist and when i was growing up, i barely saw the guy. he knew he was working far too much and taking too many calls when i asked him who he was one time! i think it definitely depends on what you do and how much you work. i think anesthesia can be very demanding at times, but you can also do pain clinic which i think is a little more relaxed. radiology seems pretty demanding too. i've heard derm and optho are more lifestyle specialties because hours are more regular and you dont really have to take calls. how extremely hard is it to get into these specialities (ROAD) ?

acidhouse303 said:
i dont know why people think anesthesiology is a lifestyle specialty. my dad is an anesthesiologist and when i was growing up, i barely saw the guy. he knew he was working far too much and taking too many calls when i asked him who he was one time! i think it definitely depends on what you do and how much you work. i think anesthesia can be very demanding at times, but you can also do pain clinic which i think is a little more relaxed. radiology seems pretty demanding too. i've heard derm and optho are more lifestyle specialties because hours are more regular and you dont really have to take calls. how extremely hard is it to get into these specialities (ROAD) ?

normal optho, anesthesiology are relatively easy, compared to the all time hardest - derm. rads varies by program. Optho retina is insanely tough too.

Ross434 said:
normal optho, anesthesiology are relatively easy, compared to the all time hardest - derm. rads varies by program. Optho retina is insanely tough too.

Normal optho is by no means easy to get into. It's consistently ranked as a competitive speciality, by no means comparable to anesthesiology.

The anesthesia guy I knew worked like 32 hrs/wk and pulled it in. SO yeah I would classify that as lifestyle. But the point here is that nearly anything can be lifestyle if you sacrifice dough, right? I mean, with all the options out there almost anyone could find SOME option that gave them more time at home but they'd make less dough.

Members don't see this ad :)
crys20 said:
The anesthesia guy I knew worked like 32 hrs/wk and pulled it in. SO yeah I would classify that as lifestyle. But the point here is that nearly anything can be lifestyle if you sacrifice dough, right? I mean, with all the options out there almost anyone could find SOME option that gave them more time at home but they'd make less dough.

This is true, but, in some positions, like ortho trauma, neurosurgery, or CT surgery, call will be a significant part of your time - its hard to find a job with just day hours.

acidhouse303 said:

I agree. I think one of the biggest misconceptions about anesthesia is that it is a "lifestyle" specialty. Pain, maybe. My father is also an anesthesiologist and runs the SICU. At 63 yo he still works about 70 hrs/wk. Sure there are those individuals who choose gas b/c they want to eventually work a cush private practice job with bankers hours and $$$. There are also those who are truly dedicated to the field and work in area such as critical care, where you are in charge of keeping extremely sick people alive. Also, its one thing to put a person to sleep for a routine appendectomy, and another to put a 350 lb diabetic to sleep for coronary bypass. At times, it's not a simple walk in the park.

G0S2 said:
I agree. I think one of the biggest misconceptions about anesthesia is that it is a "lifestyle" specialty. Pain, maybe. My father is also an anesthesiologist and runs the SICU. At 63 yo he still works about 70 hrs/wk. Sure there are those individuals who choose gas b/c they want to eventually work a cush private practice job with bankers hours and $$$. There are also those who are truly dedicated to the field and work in area such as critical care, where you are in charge of keeping extremely sick people alive. Also, its one thing to put a person to sleep for a routine appendectomy, and another to put a 350 lb diabetic to sleep for coronary bypass. At times, it's not a simple walk in the park.

yay anesthesiologists!! :) do u think u might go into it too?
my dad totally has all these huge obese gastric bypass patients all the time, so many added complications!

Lifestyle specialties are dumb. If you're not up for 60+ hours/week working, then don't go to med school! There are lots of other career opportunities out there...

acidhouse303 said:
yay anesthesiologists!! :) do u think u might go into it too?
my dad totally has all these huge obese gastric bypass patients all the time, so many added complications!

I am considering it and it has become more attractive the more I spend time on call w/ my father. I enjoy the expertise in physiology and pharmacology that gas docs have. I would do a fellowship in critical care or cardiovascular.

Ross434 said:
This is true, but, in some positions, like ortho trauma, neurosurgery, or CT surgery, call will be a significant part of your time - its hard to find a job with just day hours.

What! I thought ortho trauma/trauma surgery were lifestyle specialties :D

YzIa said:
... sometimes ENT ...

i will definitely agree with you on that one. i know of an ENT who is basically just an allergist - cushy hours, good salary, lots of patients. then, i've also met a head and neck surgeon who works tedious hours and performs surgeries with very depressing outcomes (e.g., removing most of peoples' jaws/tongues, sewing what's left of the tongue to what's left of the floor of the mouth, etc).

how is peds a lifestyle specialty?

Ross434 said:

medstylee said:
i know of an ENT who is basically just an allergist - cushy hours, good salary, lots of patients.
ENT = Early Nights and Tennis

MDgirl76 said:
It isn't. A lifestyle specialty is one with low hours and real high pay. General peds doesn't pay as much as an dermatologist or anesthesiologist.

MDgirl76 said:

Yeah, I agree peds sucks for lifestyle considerations.

I've seen a lot of people in the EM forum consider EM a lifestyle specialty. From what I understand, there's a lot of time off...no call (unless there's a disaster)...quite nice :) I am, of course, referring to EM physicians that join groups =o)

would oncology be considered a lifestyle specialty, i don't think it would be a couple of my friends think so...

The thing I thought would always suck about EM was always working nights occasionally, even at age 45 there will most likely be nights when your working really inconveinent hours, you know.

crys20 said:
The thing I thought would always suck about EM was always working nights occasionally, even at age 45 there will most likely be nights when your working really inconveinent hours, you know.
That is true--then again, it's not like your family is going to go out for a picnic at 2:30 am...plus it's only so often you have to work nights before working days again...and (back to the physicians groups) if you REALLY wanted a day-only schedule I'm sure you could get one...like me, I would love a night-only schedule...so it could work.

crys20 said:
Yeah, but if you love the night life that's just an added bonus.
Anything can be a lifestyle specialty, provided that you like the life style of that specialty.

abraxas said:
would oncology be considered a lifestyle specialty, i don't think it would be a couple of my friends think so...

several ucsf internal med residents were overtly certain about advising me to go into rad onc, stating fat salaries and great hours, anyone got an opinion about this??

There isnt enough money or time off for me to think once about many of the specialties listed here such as derm, optho, rads, gas, ent. So I gues I would rather work past 1700 and enjoy the fruits of my labor because every physician is able to take weeks off each year to spend time with family at some beach, mountain, ....

My dad was not a physician and never made it to any of my football games in high school or college, and I am still pretty sane despite it. More importantly, I still love him no less than if he would have been my coach.

So lifestyle considerations should look like this IMHO:
1) Enjoy my workday

2)money, early days, etc....

Right on...I guess it does really depend on your lifestyle...For many, EM would be pretty idyllic I'm sure.