Likely Reapplicant, Advice Appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCMED101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats

GPA: 3.52 cum, 3.46 science
MCAT: 34Q (14 PS, 9 V, 11 BS)

ECs

Hospital Volunteering
Nonmedical Volunteering (Habitat for Humanity and serving an underserved community with tutoring and activity)
Shadowing (3 different specialties)
Tutoring for 4 years
Research for 1 year
Interesting and clinically relevant Senior Design Project

Fairly cookie cutter ECs

School List/Current Cycle

School list was broad and I received 6 interviews this cycle. However none of them panned out and I am stuck with 2 rejections and 4 waitlists (interviewing skills have severely let me down). I am in the process of sending them update and interest letters.

I actually graduated from undergraduate last year and was taking a gap year. I am currently working full time as a research tech. Although I learned a lot from this position, I am not fully interested in subject area of research I am doing now. Therefore I am planning on leaving in ~2 months time to pursue another job or research opportunity.

Plans/Options

I am thinking of applying to jobs (research and biotech) for next year and I was wondering whether this is the best course of action. I will be applying this coming cycle if the waitlists don't pan out and will be applying DO as well this time. I was wondering whether I should do a post bacc/Masters instead of a job for next year to raise my GPA or not? I am also looking to strengthen my clinical volunteering as I am looking for free health clinics to volunteer at for the next couple of months. I am worried about reapplying since the only major update I have since last submission is full time work experience in research. I plan on getting some clinical volunteering, but that seems too low of what a "significant upgrade" should be like.

Any advice for me relating to plans for next year or any flags that are apparent would be appreciated. Thanks

Please let me know if any more information about my application would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would not give up yet on this application cycle. 4 wait lists is significant. At this point in the application cycle there are some applicants who have multiple acceptances. However, by May 15th, they have to choose one school and withdraw the other acceptances. Usually, there is significant movement off the wait list beginning in May. In early May you should consider contacting those 4 wait list schools and express a strong interest in attending. Of course, as a backup plan prepare your reapplication for the coming year and submit it in June. Add some DO schools to your application if you did not do so this time.

I would not give up yet on this application cycle. 4 wait lists is significant. At this point in the application cycle there are some applicants who have multiple acceptances. However, by May 15th, they have to choose one school and withdraw the other acceptances. Usually, there is significant movement off the wait list beginning in May. In early May you should consider contacting those 4 wait list schools and express a strong interest in attending. Of course, as a backup plan prepare your reapplication for the coming year and submit it in June. Add some DO schools to your application if you did not do so this time.

Yea, not completely given up hope, but just planning just in case scenario. I am crafting some update letters to give to them. Did not apply to DO schools this cycle, but will definitely apply to them next one.

However, how is my application looking for next cycle? Is full time research plus extra volunteering/shadowing considered a significant upgrade? Any other changes I should pursue?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your application looks fine. Remember you did have 6 interviews this year. I believe that it is important that you are working in a medicine related field ( research, patient care, etc. ) in the coming year. What is your state of residence and which schools did you apply to this year? Where did you interview and where are you on the waitlist ?

I think your application looks fine. Remember you did have 6 interviews this year. I believe that it is important that you are working in a medicine related field ( research, patient care, etc. ) in the coming year. What is your state of residence and which schools did you apply to this year? Where did you interview and where are you on the waitlist ?

NC resident

http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=25921

Your application strategy was good. You applied early and applied to a wide variety of schools but all reasonable choices. If you end up reapplying consider adding some of the newer medical schools such as Hofstra, Oakland-Beaumont, Quinnipiac. Also, Palm Beach Medical College, King College (Abingdon VA ), Northstate California have tentative 1st year classes beginning August 2014. You are definitely competitive for DO schools so consider applying to a few. There is a DO school at Campbell University and others in neighboring states.

Your application strategy was good. You applied early and applied to a wide variety of schools but all reasonable choices. If you end up reapplying consider adding some of the newer medical schools such as Hofstra, Oakland-Beaumont, Quinnipiac. Also, Palm Beach Medical College, King College (Abingdon VA ), Northstate California have tentative 1st year classes beginning August 2014. You are definitely competitive for DO schools so consider applying to a few. There is a DO school at Campbell University and others in neighboring states.

Thank you for your help. Will definitely add DO schools next time. The frustrating part is that I did apply early and to a broad range, however things didn't go my way. This process sure is humbling.

You should have had more luck this cycle.

PM me the personal statement that you used if you want an honest opinion. I have done over 30 PS consults on here...a lot of people tend to be a little off base with what adcoms want.

Also, you can send me your activity descriptions if you want... they are just important as (if not more than) the actual experience.

Getting a consult on these materials should position you for the next cycle, should you decide to reapply.

You should have had more luck this cycle.

PM me the personal statement that you used if you want an honest opinion. I have done over 30 PS consults on here...a lot of people tend to be a little off base with what adcoms want.

Also, you can send me your activity descriptions if you want... they are just important as (if not more than) the actual experience.

Getting a consult on these materials should position you for the next cycle, should you decide to reapply.

would you mind looking over mine as well? :D