List of DO schools with a hard Biochemistry requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

big_Z

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just curious if many schools strictly require a biochemistry course as a pre-req? I've searched around a bit and the consensus seems to be that there's no hard requirement for biochem currently. But, if anyone wants to provide more up to date information, I'd appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Just curious if many schools strictly require a biochemistry course as a pre-req? I've searched around a bit and the consensus seems to be that there's no hard requirement for biochem currently. But, if anyone wants to provide more up to date information, I'd appreciate it!
KCU does. If you don't take biochem you are putting yourself at a disadvantage for the MCAT

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
RVU, NOVA, MU-COM, KCUMB, DMU - from my excel sheet.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are people so against taking biochemistry in undergrad? It's a core part of medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are people so against taking biochemistry in undergrad? It's a core part of medicine.
For me it was required for my major as well as further in depth classes. Some people want to get all their prereqs done and they dont understand what a part of the MCAT it is now

Biochemistry is also useful if you plan to keep other pathways -- masters in laboratory science, nursing, pharmacy school -- as a backup.

Biochemistry was definitely not part of my major (English), but I took it anyway knowing that it's a big part of the new MCAT, required for some schools I applied to, and doing well in it would make the 1st year of med school a bit less overwhelming when I see it again. Everyone should just take biochem before graduating.

Glad you asked. I have nothing against biochemistry. I'm non traditional, work full time to support myself, and graduated in 2015. I've completed a 30 credit DIY Post-bacc and was hoping to take the MCAT and self study BioChem. Unfortunately looks like I may be headed back to the classroom before the MCAT. Long story short, wasn't required or a blip on my radar at the time.

Would like to add to my post that I see PCOM seems to require it as well.

Last edited: