List of Opposed FM Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Philadelphia2207

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pretty straightforward: is there a list of Opposed (not unopposed) FM programs?

If such a list does not exist, what are some general principles to identify opposed residencies?

I have a contract with a large hospital system and know that, if I go into primary care, I will not be practicing full-spectrum once I finish training. Since I have never come across another thread discussing this option, I wanted to post and see what people thought.

Members don't see this ad.

The list of either opposed or unopposed residencies would be hundreds of programs. You can identify them by looking to see if there are any other residency programs at the hospital, the website should have a general GME page listing all the programs at the hospital.
Thanks for the input. I expected that any list would include hundreds of program... just wasn't sure if a list existed. IM applicants often create and share spreadsheets listing and comparing details on hundreds of programs.

Re: other residencies at the training institution: does this account for continuity clinic at off-site locations? As in, is it generally true that a training institution with other residencies will not also have FM residents rotate at outside clinics that are unopposed?

I'm finding it interesting that FM residencies don't have any coherent central database with the details that applicants actually care about. AAFP and Doximity both lack the fine details.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would not be all that helpful to make such a list, because beyond whether or not there are other residents, it wouldn't say much more about the program. It goes back to that fallacy of X program gives the best training. You need to look into each individual program and evaluate quality. Like I've said before there are some excellent "opposed" programs and there are some terrible "unopposed" programs (and vice versa). You'd be better off narrowing by region and then whittling down based on the features you are looking for or the priorities you have for training.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty straightforward: is there a list of Opposed (not unopposed) FM programs?

If such a list does not exist, what are some general principles to identify opposed residencies?

I have a contract with a large hospital system and know that, if I go into primary care, I will not be practicing full-spectrum once I finish training. Since I have never come across another thread discussing this option, I wanted to post and see what people thought.
Some opposed programs are actually very inpatient heavy, do a good amount of Ob and are pretty rigorous. You'd be surprised how many unopposed programs are "chill" or... just are not very good at all. You can have unopposed programs where you rotate with midlevels half the time. So I would not categorize based off of that. Generally, the "easier" opposed programs tend to be places where FM is largely not respected at all and looked down upon by the other departments.

Even if you want to just do primary care outpatient, going to a low quality program (which in essence, most easy residencies are) will hurt you post residency. Doesn't mean you need to go somewhere very rigorous or super full spectrum. Just that solid well rounded training is important even for the future clinic doctor (plus, your interests absolutely can change 180 in residency).

Reactions: 1 users
Some opposed programs are actually very inpatient heavy, do a good amount of Ob and are pretty rigorous. You'd be surprised how many unopposed programs are "chill" or... just are not very good at all. You can have unopposed programs where you rotate with midlevels half the time. So I would not categorize based off of that. Generally, the "easier" opposed programs tend to be places where FM is largely not respected at all and looked down upon by the other departments.

Even if you want to just do primary care outpatient, going to a low quality program (which in essence, most easy residencies are) will hurt you post residency. Doesn't mean you need to go somewhere very rigorous or super full spectrum. Just that solid well rounded training is important even for the future clinic doctor (plus, your interests absolutely can change 180 in residency).
Completely agree with this. I originally really liked a program here in SC that was super full scope - residents learned endoscopy, vasectomies, and even had a vet elective in case you went so rural there were no veterinarians within 200 miles (looking back the licensing part of that concerns me greatly, but never mind that). I'm glad I changed my mind on that because while those would be neat to know how to do I have never been in a situation where I would have been able to use those skills and it would've taken away from things I was able to spend more time on (my program was pretty OB/Peds/inpatient heavy) that have paid off much more in the years since I graduated.

Reactions: 1 users