Living near my customers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aviane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently switched to a store that's right next to my community and I see some of my patients around! Is this a bad thing? It's starting to worry me and I wonder if I should move somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you live in the ghetto, and ghetto patients are recognizing you as a potential mark, I don't see this being bad. Being a well-liked member of the community is normally a good thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably not a good thing. I don't drive nice cars to work.

My old boss when I used to work for CVS told me he purposely picked a store far away from his house. He doesn't want to run into patients at a little league game or something and know what they have.

"Your son hit pretty nice today."
"Thanks, how's everything going, how's that rash?"

I recently switched to a store that's right next to my community and I see some of my patients around! Is this a bad thing? It's starting to worry me and I wonder if I should move somewhere else.

My manager grew up in and still lives in the town that our store is in. She doesn't really care but she does hear the occasional whispers of "that's the pharmacist!" when she goes out to dinner with friends. It's all personal preference. If you're more active in the community it might make you more inclined to do favors for the people you see more frequently which may or may not be a good thing.

I guess it's only a bad thing if you choose to see it as such. Some might find it nice to have a sense of involvement in the community while others prefer not to be reminded of work while they are trying to live their private life.

I used to work very close to where I lived and I would always see patients while I was grocery shopping, out to eat, etc. I even had one gentleman try to fix me up with his daugher when I ran into them at the grocery store. It was a little weird at first, but I think it helped me see the patients as more than people on the other side of the counter (and vice versa).

I moved into a neighborhood that's about 10 minutes away from my store. I spent about 3 months before closing researching my patients to make sure that I wasn't going to be next door neighbors with any of my crazies, and have not had any problems since. Sometimes I'll pop into the grocery and wonder if I'll run into one of the aforementioned crazies, and try to stealth my way through the store just in case, but it hasn't been an issue to date. And my drive to work is 10 minutes, which is fantastic. My staff did the same thing, lives probably 10 minutes away from me, and has no complaints.

It's a nice talking point on performance evaluations when you're asked about community involvement and you can say "I actively live in the community and drop scripts off for these people when they can't make it to the pharmacy, don't tell me about how many Saturdays I didn't sit in a booth and promote your initiatives off the clock"

A lot of them are nice and friendly, but then there are the Medicaid pts.... There are all kinds of people here. It's not ghetto but I really don't like some of the customers at my store and I'm not sure if they live near me.

A lot of them are nice and friendly, but then there are the Medicaid pts.... There are all kinds of people here. It's not ghetto but I really don't like some of the customers at my store and I'm not sure if they live near me.

What is your avatar?

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you can be big man in town I would avoid it. You'd have to be on best behavior all the time

What is your avatar?

Do you get to demonstrate how to use menstrual cups for your patients? I think it would be fun to whip out a champagne glass and some kool aid at the pharmacy counter.

I live 4 miles from my store but I have 2 stores closer to my home so that diffuses the customers a bit. The area is mixed and we have customers ranging from high level gov't officials/legit VIPs (and many more in their own mind), to middle class families, to the homeless. That said I do see/recognize patients quite often around the neighborhood. Not a positive or a negative just a fact of life. Never had a good or bad experience because of it but I imagine I have some customers out there that would be there for me if I saw them out and about and needed assistance of some sort.