ShopRite shuts pharmacies up and down the East Coast, sending customers to CVS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Our Shoprite already shut down last week, and all we did during the final week was transferring RXs out to other pharmacies except CVS.
Furious customers came and said “I hate CVS, Don’t you dare to send my RXs to CVS. I already transferred my RXs FROM CVS, and there is a reason!!!!”
I had to deal with these kind of customers all day long. They REALLY hate CVS.

Reactions: 4 users
It's very cathartic to close stores since you can tell all customers to take a hike as all queues go to oblivion.

Members don't see this ad :)
The pharmacists were summarily let go, according to customers in Philadelphia and New Jersey. Clerks and technicians, unlike the pharmacists, are represented by Local 1776 of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, and “will be reassigned elsewhere in the store based on seniority and qualifications,” said union president Wendell Young.

Can someone remind me again why the clerks and technicians can unionize but the pharmacists cannot (or will not)?

Reactions: 1 user
The pharmacists were summarily let go, according to customers in Philadelphia and New Jersey. Clerks and technicians, unlike the pharmacists, are represented by Local 1776 of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, and “will be reassigned elsewhere in the store based on seniority and qualifications,” said union president Wendell Young.

Can someone remind me again why the clerks and technicians can unionize but the pharmacists cannot (or will not)?
Because pharmacists are cowards

If I try to organize a union and am fired who is going to put food on my table ? You need some sort of fund to prevent this.

Reactions: 1 users
If I try to organize a union and am fired who is going to put food on my table ? You need some sort of fund to prevent this.
It's called a savings account.

• Dislike
Yeah.Im going to take all the risk while others who stay on the sideline get the benefits.

You could sue for wrongful termination and maybe be set for life.
Nope. We’re “management” so we are not protected from retaliation for joining labor unions. To establish that we’re aren’t actually “management” would require the money to beat CVS’ lawyers, which is a huge sum.

You could sue for wrongful termination and maybe be set for life
You cannot be fired for trying to organize a union. It is illegal. If they do fire you, then you sue their asses.
You cannot be fired for trying to organize a union. It is illegal. If they do fire you, then you sue their asse
You cannot be fired for trying to organize a union. It is illegal. If they do fire you, then you sue their asses.
Yeah right.Me against Walgreens,CVS,and Wal Mart entire legal department.

Yeah right.Me against Walgreens,CVS,and Wal Mart entire legal department.

I mean...yeah, I don't suggest you represent yourself. Have you never seen a Morgan & Morgan commercial?

Think of it this way. Those techs in the article managed to unionize and now they are not being laid off. What did they do that pharmacists can't?

Nope. We’re “management” so we are not protected from retaliation for joining labor unions. To establish that we’re aren’t actually “management” would require the money to beat CVS’ lawyers, which is a huge sum.
I mean if that is what you want to believe don't let me stop you. I am sure there are tons of attorneys out there who would love to go after CVS for wrongful termination on contingency, especially if the person was fired after trying to unionize.

Doesn't CVS lose lawsuits all the time in California? I seem to recall when I worked there hearing about it almost non-stop. I don't know why you would think they are immune to lawsuits. If anything their size makes them a bigger target.

You can if you have any technicians:

Managers and supervisors are also not protected by the NLRA, and cannot join unions or be part of the bargaining unit. These employees are considered to be part of a company’s management rather than its labor force.
In Oakwood Healthcare Inc., (348 N.L.R.B. 37 (2006)), the NLRB broadened the "supervisor" category, with the result that more employees will now be found to be supervisors. The Board found that employees who have the authority to make work assignments or direct the work of other employees may be supervisors if those tasks require some independent judgment and discretion, even if they spend only 10% to 15% of their time on these supervisory duties.

Yeah.Im going to take all the risk while others who stay on the sideline get the benefits.
I don't know where that came from. I have worked in union and non union shops and would work in a union shop given the opportunity. They don't solve all problems but they blunt the abuses of managers and owners. If you are timid in this life you are screwed. It's better to risk losing a garbage job to get better conditions then cower.

With Rutledge case, big PBMs ruling over pharmacy is coming to an end. Let's hope sooner than later so these smaller pharmacies don't have to close anymore.