Llu!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satinsixstring

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lock this thread if you must, but I cannot contain my excitement! I got my call this afternoon from the Admissions office, telling me I got into Loma Linda Medical School! That's it, I will go to medical school.

Anyway, tho make this post useful to somebody:

The interview session was great. Very nice people. I spent the day at LLU, getting a tour, lunch, and two interviews: one by the Anatomy teacher, and the other by the lawyer for the dean of admissions (how the heck did he get that job?). The school was great. They have a new thing where the first years get to spend their first six weeks in the hospital before hitting the books hardcore.

I'm so excited I'm shaking! Now to enjoy the rest of this year before the real work starts...

Members don't see this ad.

when was your inteview?

ahhhhhhhhh I've been anxiously waiting for that call!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! When did you interview???

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! This site is awfully quiet regarding Loma Linda, I almost didn't even recognize what LLU meant.

Lock this thread if you must, but I cannot contain my excitement! I got my call this afternoon from the Admissions office, telling me I got into Loma Linda Medical School! That's it, I will go to medical school.

Anyway, tho make this post useful to somebody:

The interview session was great. Very nice people. I spent the day at LLU, getting a tour, lunch, and two interviews: one by the Anatomy teacher, and the other by the lawyer for the dean of admissions (how the heck did he get that job?). The school was great. They have a new thing where the first years get to spend their first six weeks in the hospital before hitting the books hardcore.

I'm so excited I'm shaking! Now to enjoy the rest of this year before the real work starts...

Was there mention of religion during the interview day? I'm just curious, because I know LLU is a Catholic school and was wondering why SDNers are so not interested in it...

Was there mention of religion during the interview day? I'm just curious, because I know LLU is a Catholic school and was wondering why SDNers are so not interested in it...

I think Loma Linda is an Adventist school...if I remember correctly

I think Loma Linda is an Adventist school...if I remember correctly

Whoops...I guess that was rather insensitive of me. I just knew it was religiously affiliated and that this seemed to be quite stressed by SDNers and I remember reading something somewhere on their website...

But in any case, were the religious values stressed throughout the day and was religion a prominent theme?

It's a Seventh Day Adventist school - they even have mandatory mass on Weds.

During the interview I only heard one thing about religion, and it was simply because it was in my application (volunteer work in a youth group).

I am not really of the religious sort by any stretch of the imagination, and even said that during the interview (not verbatim of course), and was actually told that most of the top students at the school are NOT SDA, which I thought was very interesting.

Here we go:

"About the School of Medicine
Since opening in 1909, Loma Linda University's School of Medicine has been training skilled medical professionals with a commitment to Christian service. The school has always endeavored to combine the best medical science with caring, Christian compassion. Loma Linda students are trained in a context emphasizing the patient's needs and preventive care to offset future disease.

Medical students spend the first two years studying a heavy science curriculum balanced by class work in human behavior, religion, and ethics. As juniors, students spend time in clinical rotations and instruction in family medicine, gynecology and obstetrics, medicine, pediatrics, psychiatry, radiology, and surgery. Seniors rotate through advanced training in medicine and surgery and finish their degree with four months of electives.

Loma Linda medical students have the unique opportunity to utilize their skills in human betterment. Most medical students participate in two very popular University programs: Social Action Community Health System and Students for International Mission Service. In each they help deliver medical care to lower-income people and others who have no access to basic medical care
."

I suppose my Jewish compassion won't do.

But mine will?

I'm a horrible Jew...I don't even go to temple on high holidays

But mine will?

I'm a horrible Jew...I don't even go to temple on high holidays
LOL...I dunno...I'm sure LLU is a great school but with an "overview statement" like that, I'm mildly terrified. I go to Synagogue on high holidays, but I'm more of a cultural Jew.

Congrats though!!! Med school is med school and if LLU is somewhere that you could be happy, then I'm glad for you!!!

ok sorry, but I also found this in their mission statement...

Reaching the World
Providing whole-person care wherever the opportunity arises; participating with the world community in the provision of local medical education; providing international physicians and scientists the opportunities for professional interaction and enrichment; sharing the good news of a loving God as demonstrated by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ—these are the goals of the students, faculty, and graduates of the School of Medicine.

Uh oh, just make sure when you go on a medical mission trip that it is indeed that and not for missionaries to teach the ways of Jesus Christ :laugh: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
DANG! I interviewed on the 5th also. This makes me feel like crap :( Do you know if they sent out all the acceptances for those who interviewed on the 5th? Also what were your stats if you don't mind? Thanks!

edit: Wait a second, I just found your other post and it said your involved in:
Volunteer with autistic program at an Elementary school 1 year
Shadowing pediatric neurologist 2 years
Neurology paper
Music intruction <1 year
3 tutoring jobs - 1-2 years each
Christian Bible Study
Deans List
Office Assistant - 1 summer
Book Keeper - 3+ years
Hobbies - Surfing/snowboarding/Automobile Restoration.

BUT you're jewish?

Reaching the World
Providing whole-person care wherever the opportunity arises; participating with the world community in the provision of local medical education; providing international physicians and scientists the opportunities for professional interaction and enrichment; sharing the good news of a loving God as demonstrated by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ—these are the goals of the students, faculty, and graduates of the School of Medicine.

Uh oh, just make sure when you go on a medical mission trip that it is indeed that and not for missionaries to teach the ways of Jesus Christ :laugh: :luck:

There is no need to poke fun. LLU has a completely different approach to medicine, and I find it REALLY interesting and helpful, especially when your patient asks you about why God is doing such things to him/her.

There is no need to poke fun. LLU has a completely different approach to medicine, and I find it REALLY interesting and helpful, especially when your patient asks you about why God is doing such things to him/her.
I'm not poking fun...speaking of which, note your "BUT you're jewish?" comment :rolleyes:

Ever heard of the term "judeo-christian"

Yeah, so LLU is a religious school, but like more christian schools, its getting less and less adventist every year. anyway, I love the school, and I'm pretty sure that you won't feel like they are trying to convert you. The ratio of adventists to nonadventists is pretty high on the nonadventist side. thats actually my top choice so hopefully I'll see you there satinsixstring!

Yeah, so LLU is a religious school, but like more christian schools, its getting less and less adventist every year. anyway, I love the school, and I'm pretty sure that you won't feel like they are trying to convert you. The ratio of adventists to nonadventists is pretty high on the nonadventist side. thats actually my top choice so hopefully I'll see you there satinsixstring!
I don't like the idea of mandatory religious anything. That's the only reason I won't apply to LLU.

OMFG. I'm German and I wouldn't dare say something like that. I hope they ban you for it.
He's probably kidding, and if he's semi-kidding then...well you shouldn't be surprised DKM, people tend to want to save people....remember? We went through this in another thread. :)

Poor premeds. Another spot has gone into someone :(

hmm, that does sound innovative and based in science!

just to humor those doubting thomases among us, exactly how would LLU's approach to medicine help a physician answer that proposed patient's question?

10 to 1 it involves the phrase "god works in mysterious ways" and even an "ignorant" doctor from Hopkins can pull that gem out of his/her ass.

hmm, that does sound innovative and based in science!

just to humor those doubting thomases among us, exactly how would LLU's approach to medicine help a physician answer that proposed patient's question?

10 to 1 it involves the phrase "god works in mysterious ways" and even an "ignorant" doctor from Hopkins can pull that gem out of his/her ass.
yeah seriously. In fact, trying to "help" your patients by using the word god and whatnot before it's ever been mentioned by your patients may seriously offend them and you might get yourself asskicked

OMFG. I'm German and I wouldn't dare say something like that. I hope they ban you for it.

behold the freedom of not giving a ****.

oh, and it also helps to have a working sarcasmanometer.

Reaching the World

Dude, keep your mouth shut - or open it more objectively - as if Albert Einstein is any better? On saturdays all the jewish docs/students on call have to have others heat up their food and push buttons for them in the elevator, and the vending machines are covered as well as the ATM. Plus the frist three floors of all their buildings are pretty much devoted to the orthodox Jews so they don't need to take the elevator. (and personally, i love AECOM and may very likely be there next year) To each their own. Every school (religious or not) has its cultural quirks. My dad went to LLU (he's not SDA, and he was there for residency) and he had no qualms - thought the culture was great, supportive, and very warm.

"Remember Sodom and Gomorrah? Yes? OK, remember all the premarital sex you had? Now remember the caffeine and alcohol you drank? I rest my case."

Dude, keep your mouth shut - or open it more objectively - as if Albert Einstein is any better? On saturdays all the jewish docs/students on call have to have others heat up their food and push buttons for them in the elevator, and the vending machines are covered as well as the ATM. Plus the frist three floors of all their buildings are pretty much devoted to the orthodox Jews so they don't need to take the elevator. (and personally, i love AECOM and may very likely be there next year) To each their own. Every school (religious or not) has its cultural quirks. My dad went to LLU (he's not SDA, and he was there for residency) and he had no qualms - thought the culture was great, supportive, and very warm.
1) Did I'm say that I'm ****ing kosher or religious? No, so I don't need any of that.

2) Do Jewish hospitals have **** on their websites like "good Jewish values"? Also, we don't have mission trips where we try and spread the word of Hashem and convert others, because it's not a "mitzvah" to convert ppl...

3) I'm not saying LLU is bad, it sounds like a great school. I'm just saying that I would be uncomfortable being associated with a school that says such strong things on their website, regardless of whether or not there no pressure to be religious as a student.

Reaching the World

Also (sorry, I majored in religious studies and have a big mouth) if you read this correctly, it says DEMONSTRATED the LIFE and TEACHING of Jesus Christ. Now this doesn't usually mean preaching or passing out bibles. And as far as my father experienced the mission trips, they were completely NOT evangelical, and more about living life for the good of others (as jesus - and others - lived). Don't go repeating things you don't even care to understand. Sorry Zeke, generally I like your posts. Go LLU acceptees! I think it's an uber nice place.

Also (sorry, I majored in religious studies and have a big mouth) if you read this correctly, it says DEMONSTRATED the LIFE and TEACHING of Jesus Christ. Now this doesn't usually mean preaching or passing out bibles. And as far as my father experienced the mission trips, they were completely NOT evangelical, and more about living life for the good of others (as jesus - and others - lived). Don't go repeating things you don't even care to understand. Sorry Zeke, generally I like your posts. Go LLU acceptees! I think it's an uber nice place.
OK OK OK OK FINE...

Thanks for liking my posts...But, I do feel that their statements on their website are quite strong. I think that's just personal opinion. Maybe if I were Christian, I would barely notice, but every time I hear the name JC on a med school website it gets my back up. I'm sure lots of people would feel the same if AECOMs website talked about Hashem or Allah or whoever...

It's just an odd place for me to see JC's name.

I dont get all this commotion about LLU being religous.. I am looking forward to my interview there... holla

Yeah, the clinical experience and education sound fine. I'm just uncomfortable with the motto...

DANG! I interviewed on the 5th also. This makes me feel like crap :( Do you know if they sent out all the acceptances for those who interviewed on the 5th? Also what were your stats if you don't mind? Thanks!

edit: Wait a second, I just found your other post and it said your involved in:
Volunteer with autistic program at an Elementary school 1 year
Shadowing pediatric neurologist 2 years
Neurology paper
Music intruction <1 year
3 tutoring jobs - 1-2 years each
Christian Bible Study
Deans List
Office Assistant - 1 summer
Book Keeper - 3+ years
Hobbies - Surfing/snowboarding/Automobile Restoration.

BUT you're jewish?

I merely take claim to the religion because I have ALOT of jewish blood. That being said, I am actually a christian, but that does not mean I do not try to participate in holidays with my family.

I know, kinda wierd - and brings up the question is Judiasm a religion or a race?

In my eyes, I still practice some jewish traditions, and do say I am jewish (due to my family's background), but I am most definitely a christian.

EDIT: WOW! This thread has gotten a little heavier than what I intended it to be.....sorry.

Oh! And here's my numbers
10 vr 11 ps 10 bs
3.8 BCPM and 3.8 overall

I'm not poking fun...speaking of which, note your "BUT you're jewish?" comment :rolleyes:

Ever heard of the term "judeo-christian"

From what I read, it seemed as if you were bashing LLU's statement. If you weren't then I am sorry..I wasn't trying to bash you or anything zeke. My comment "BUT you're jewish" was made because he said he is jewish, not judeo-christian. No need to roll any eyes ;)

Pennybridge...

What I meant by my comment is that a physician who has studied religion and is more familiar with it than a physician from "Hopkins" who has never even thought about religion will be more able to identify with a patient who is calling on God about their situation. It is very common in the clinical setting (according to a few doctors that I spoke with) for people to call upon religion in their most vulnerable (ill) state. Just my 2 cents, if you would like to disagree, fine by me.

From what I read, it seemed as if you were bashing LLU's statement. If you weren't then I am sorry..I wasn't trying to bash you or anything zeke. My comment "BUT you're jewish" was made because he said he is jewish, not judeo-christian. No need to roll any eyes ;)

Pennybridge...

What I meant by my comment is that a physician who has studied religion and is more familiar with it than a physician from "Hopkins" who has never even thought about religion will be more able to identify with a patient who is calling on God about their situation. It is very common in the clinical setting (according to a few doctors that I spoke with) for people to call upon religion in their most vulnerable (ill) state. Just my 2 cents, if you would like to disagree, fine by me.
Sorry Instigata, I was just teasing around about the mission statement of LLU, because I think it's a bit much for a website. I do, however, think that it is a good school and respect their curriculum.

I also think that it is important for a physician to have considered issues surrounding religion and common decisions that patients have to make that will indeed be affected by religion. I do not feel that a physician has to have some religious affiliation to have a set of ethics or moral code, but do think that a physician needs to be able to recognize those decisions that will be affected by religion and be respectful of those choices. It would be silly of a doctor to not have considered the religious issues surrounding certain decisions and I'm quite confident that many medical schools today to talk of such things. Whether or not they do a good job, I guess is a whole other story ;)

I just got the news today, and I am excited!! Hope you guys get some good news if you are waiting. And also, I know several people who got in off the alternate lists last year in June and July, so there is always hope later on.

sorry to be slightly off topic, but does anyone know where to find a link to llu's match list? special prize for the winner!!

any luck finding llu's match list. i figure i should just send them an email.

I'm not saying LLU is bad, it sounds like a great school. I'm just saying that I would be uncomfortable being associated with a school that says such strong things on their website, regardless of whether or not there no pressure to be religious as a student.
That's fair. And frankly, I think that is exactly why they have their Christian values emphasized so strongly on their website. They don't want people who would be uncomfortable being associated with them.

I ruled out LLU immediately due to their Christian emphasis. But I do respect the role they play. I like the fact that there is a school for folks who really did their Jesus and whatnot. And I like the fact that LLU is upfront about it. I'd be really bummed to matriculate into a school that was hush-hush about it's religious mission.

And congrats to everyone on their acceptances. For all the folks that are turned off by mandatory religious services and abstinence from all sorts of chemicals and other fun stuff, I would think that there are a whole lot of medical students that would be happier in that environment than they would anywhere else. Kudos to all...