LMHC and tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pacman8794

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are LMHCs or LPCs allowed to give projective tests?

Members don't see this ad.

No we are not. Typically that is the realm of Psychologists. Although I think you would find that projective tests are rarely used in practice, or reimbursed by insurance. Now as to non-projective tests it will depend on a state by state basis with Psychologists being the majority of test administors. LMHC/LPCs due also utilized assessments but are typically just that a quick assessment such as the SASSI, or the BDI.

Jeff

Checklist stuff (like the BDI, etc) no one would really raise an eye about....but something like the Rorschach.....yeah, that'd be a problem. It takes years for us to get decent at it, definitely not something to just pick up.

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
No we are not. Typically that is the realm of Psychologists. Although I think you would find that projective tests are rarely used in practice, or reimbursed by insurance. Now as to non-projective tests it will depend on a state by state basis with Psychologists being the majority of test administors. LMHC/LPCs due also utilized assessments but are typically just that a quick assessment such as the SASSI, or the BDI.

Jeff

I'm not really familiar w/ the SASSI or BDI. What are those tests? Just as far as I'm getting this properly, LMHCS or LPCs can't give projective tests, but they can give a SASSI or BDI test?

The BDI is the Beck Depression Inventory, and the SASSI is the Substance Abuse Subtle Screening Inventory.

Both are quick pen and paper screening inventories generally I use them to confirm a diagnosis, or to provide further empirical evidence about a clients problem that I can show to them on paper. As an LPC you will have to have taken classes in tests and measurements again not the extent of a psychologist but it will allow you to read/write an evaluation and to utilize screening inventories or a few other tests. Testing can be a very powerful tool when used properly. They can help you make decisions about care to provide/make a referral/call a psychologist friend to say "haha look at this profile"/cut through denial/or differentiate a diagnosis.

PM if you have more questions about becoming an LMHC/LPC

Jeff

The BDI is the Beck Depression Inventory, and the SASSI is the Substance Abuse Subtle Screening Inventory.

Both are quick pen and paper screening inventories generally I use them to confirm a diagnosis, or to provide further empirical evidence about a clients problem that I can show to them on paper. As an LPC you will have to have taken classes in tests and measurements again not the extent of a psychologist but it will allow you to read/write an evaluation and to utilize screening inventories or a few other tests. Testing can be a very powerful tool when used properly. They can help you make decisions about care to provide/make a referral/call a psychologist friend to say "haha look at this profile"/cut through denial/or differentiate a diagnosis.

PM if you have more questions about becoming an LMHC/LPC

Jeff

What types of tests i can give as an LMCH/LPC? Also, how would i go about the extra training to give certain tests and what kind of tests could i give w/ extra training?

As to the types of tests you can give my best suggestion is to look online at the test publishers and see which tests they will sell you, and then check your state ethics to determine which you can give. As to getting the right training - take all of the tests and measures classes you can in grad school and then utilize continuing education and supervision.

Jeff

The specific tests that you can administer and interpret differs. Ethically, you need to check with your state. Some states allow licensed counselors to do some assessments, while some don't allow them do any outside of screeners and rating scales. I know of no state that allows counselors to complete projective tools.

Ethical practice would require you to only administer assessments for which you have adequate education and supervised experience. That is part of an APA doctoral program and in order to interpret tests accurately and apply results to an individual a good working knowledge of the statistical metrics of the measure, base rates of the phenomena being measured, specificity and sensitivity, cultural effects, etc are needed.

Just don't. Here's why:

The first "real" set of questions you are going to get in a lawsuit is: "do you have formal training in XYZ test?", followed by "point out that education on your CV", followed by "please read this section of qualifications required by the test publisher". Boom. You've just admitted that you are not following the community standard of care. Arm 2 and 4 of a malpractice suit down. Now we are just moving onto damages.

Reactions: 2 users
Are LMHCs or LPCs allowed to give projective tests?

No where that I am aware of allows non-psychologists to administer and interpret projective tools; but, states do allow other assessment tools. The type differs among states, ranging from just checklists to intelligence tests.