LMHC/LPC needs help in finding Forensic & Psyhcological Assessent training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZappaPrez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to get any and all details from anyone who can assists me in my pursuit to advance forensic work in terms of administering assessments and writing evaluations.

I am unable to pursue a doctorate degree at the current time, due to the financial aspect.

There are Forensic Evaluator Certifications for Masters level clinicians (that involve much more extensive training than programs for a PsyD/PhD looking to get into forensic work, due to the extra training needed) and I am trying to obtain feedback on any of these.

Best!

-Z4P

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi to all!!

First of all, I am new around here and thank you for having me around!

I posted this same posted in the MA/MS forum and I DO NOT want people thinking I am flooding the boards; however, I figure it belongs in the MA/MS forum technically however, I feel that the PsyD/PhD board might be of more assistance, due to having more experience with what I am looking for and more posts in general!

Thank you for understanding and for your time and assistance!

To whom it may concern:

I have an obsessive interest in psychological testing. Ironically, my poor math skills in undergrad steered me clear of pursuing a psychology degree; however, having now now been granted the highest qualification levels by all the big companies..... Pearson, WPS, PAR, MHS, ProEd, etc, I have implemented as many of the assessments I feel appropriate in therapy and have become fascinated with psychological instruments.

Additionally, having extensive training and experience in trauma work, I have been in the dependency system and have a great desire to pursue forensic work to be able to write forensic evaluations, etc.

Despite getting my doctorate being my #1 goal in life, anything short of money falling from the sky, or winning the lottery, that will not be happening for a LONG time.... if never.

With this being said, I would love to get any and all details from anyone who can assists me in my pursuit to advance forensic work and administering assessments for the writing of evaluations.

Best!

-Z4P

Um, what?

How would you like to been seen by a "doctor" who didnt exactly go to medical school?

Also, "poor math skills" seems like it would make understanding psychometrics very difficult. Thorough understanding of psychometric, psychometric theory, and test construction/ validation are prerequsites for a career in psychological assessment, especially forensic asesssment.

Last edited:
Hi to all!!

I posted this same posted in the MA/MS forum and I DO NOT want people thinking I am flooding the boards; however, I figure it belongs in the MA/MS forum technically however, I feel that the PsyD/PhD board might be of more assistance, due to having more experience with what I am looking for and more posts in general!

To whom it may concern:

I have an obsessive interest in psychological testing. Ironically, my poor math skills in undergrad steered me clear of pursuing a psychology degree; however, having now now been granted the highest qualification levels by all the big companies..... Pearson, WPS, PAR, MHS, ProEd, etc, I have implemented as many of the assessments I feel appropriate in therapy and have become fascinated with psychological instruments.

Additionally, having extensive training and experience in trauma work, I have been in the dependency system and have a great desire to pursue forensic work to be able to write forensic evaluations, etc.

Despite getting my doctorate being my #1 goal in life, anything short of money falling from the sky, or winning the lottery, that will not be happening for a LONG time.... if never.

With this being said, I would love to get any and all details from anyone who can assists me in my pursuit to advance forensic work and administering assessments for the writing of evaluations.

Best!

-Z4P

Step 1: Pursue clinical psychology training at an APA-acred program.
Step 2: Complete an APA-acred internship.
Step 3: Complete a formal fellowship in Forensic Psychology.
Step 4: Become boarded in Forensic Psychology.
Step 5: Administer assessments and write evaluations in a forensic setting.

That's what is needed. Anything short of that is cutting corners and would be viewed by most/all in the field as insufficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, you would find it difficult to find work in the forensic field. It's hard to find work in the field if you aren't boarded in forensic or neuro, much less not have a doctoral degree. I guess you could do state agency type of forensic evals, but the pay is terrible and the stress load is high, so I'd advise against that course of action.

Perhaps I've missed/skimmed over the flyers from Pearson and others, but what do you mean you have "been granted the highest qualification levels by all the big companies". They aren't accrediting bodies. The only thing I can think of is the qualification requirements to purchase testing materials. This 'granting of the highest qualification' is particularly confusing since you note a need to learn how to test, write reports, etc. It makes me wonder, even if I had missed something offered by these companies, what that qualification would even suggest.

I'm just entirely confused.

This is a very bad idea.

1) Test manufacturer qualifications mean just about nothing.
2) Licensing laws do.
3) Nothing in your "qualifications" speaks to formal education in test administration and interpretation.
4) Math skills are essential in testing.
5) You don't have the qualifications to give or administer tests.
6) Your stated desire is to jump into the most rigorously scrutinized, highest liability area of testing.
7) Counselors have a choice between doctoral level people who have trained in this stuff and you.
8) even if you get hired, opposing expert is going to go through your work.
9) unless you are a narcissist, you have to know that such experts who have actual doctoral training in this field, who are literally professionals at deconstructing other doctoral level experts, are going to have an easy time making sure that your training and work are torn apart.
10) If you insist on misrepresenting yourself as "qualified" and somehow get on the stand, expert immunity has a specific exclusion for such misrepresentations. Guess what? now your own assets are on the line. See your malpractice contract, because it doesn't cover this.
11) "Trauma training" has nothing to do with testing. This is not a qualification for testing. It also plays out very poorly in the courts.
12) Just because you want to do something, doesn't mean you are qualified to do it.

who can assists me in my pursuit to advance forensic work and administering assessments for the writing of evaluations.

Do you enjoy getting pulled into litigation?

Honestly, in the last few years I've run across quite a few individuals that started doing forensic eval gigs on the side. A custody eval here, a personal injury eval there, maybe get hired as a gun to say some outlandish garbage for a criminal eval, all without any formal training, nor any understanding regarding the arena in which they are operating. They make some good money, and somehow their incompetence squeezes by undetected [I'd like to think it will come back and bite them eventually, at some point with at least a board complaint]. For example, saw a dude testify on an eval for waiver of post-conviction rights recently in which dude administered a house-tree person. However, they at least have the degree. What you're talking about doing is next level scary.

Hi to all!!

To whom it may concern:

Best!

-Z4P
Maybe it would be helpful if you were more specific about what you mean when you say that you have been involved in the dependency system and want to do forensic evaluations. You will likely get the same answer though, but at least we could be more targeted in the reasons why this specific type of assessment requires more extensive training.

Well, that was productive. :)

Consider it a poorly constructed post, based on an idea I have personally received a lot of positive feedback from with local psychologists I work with, but, as the person above said.... being more specific might help, but probably not.... so I'll consider it a pass on this one.

But to clear a few things up, basically everything stated by "PSYDR," I completely understand and agree with everything you said and that just supports my reasons for realizing #1- it was presented extremely poorly and #2- there is not much use to pursue this on here.

positive feedback about practicing a niche area of doctoral level professional psychology without any formal training? Label me skeptical.

Last edited:
Well, that was productive. :)

Consider it a poorly constructed post, based on an idea I have personally received a lot of positive feedback from with local psychologists I work with, but, as the person above said.... being more specific might help, but probably not.... so I'll consider it a pass on this one.

But to clear a few things up, basically everything stated by "PSYDR," I completely understand and agree with everything you said and that just supports my reasons for realizing #1- it was presented extremely poorly and #2- there is not much use to pursue this on here.
I have seen this "I spoke with some psychologists and they were supportive" before. It always makes me think that that they are probably just avoiding confrontation. I have had people ask me about online doctorates for example and when I tell them the drawbacks, they just get upset with me and become further entrenched. What do you expect us to say? "sure, you can do what we do with less education and training". If you can't handle this heat how would you handle being cross examined which is what forensic psychologists have to be able to do? I am still curious as to what types of assessments you anticipate doing as a discussion of that could be helpful for other students. I suspect that what we consider as a forensic assessment and what you are talking about might be two very different things. Competency to stand trial, custody evals, expert testimony in civil suits, guardianship evals, NGRI assessments, commitment proceedings. That's a short list off the top of my head of forensic type stuff some psychologists could probably add more and some might dispute referring to these as being under the umbrella of forensics. I am not a forensic psychologist myself, although I have been dragged into a few legal proceedings from time to time.

Ah, the digital forum platform... such a wonderful, bizarre and nutty plane.

As previously stated, in a messy, jumbled, really terrible initial post, I came on here to ask about options for training opportunities for masters level clinicians in forensic work...period.

But Jesus ****in Christ, I had no idea that post would get some of your all's panties in such a knot. (I know, I know... I can't even handle the heat in an internet forum... what am I to do in the courtroom?)

So, for the sake of clearing the air and making myself VERY, VERY CLEAR, as I am fully aware is something I did not do in my initial post... I, in no way, shape, or form, have the faintest notion that I am the slightest bit qualified to do forensic work. I know I am not.

I also know if this is an avenue I decide to pursue, it will be quite some time that I am even qualified... and we wont even touch on "competent."

So for those members on here that I frightened based on the assumptions you made from a terribly constructed post I created, I truly hope you can all sleep nice and tight tonight knowing this to all be true!

With all of that being said, I am good to let this rest and when/if I come on here to approach this again, It will certainly be in a much more clear and detailed manner. In the meantime think what ya wanna think about this post/me, say watchya wanna say about this post/me, but I'mma moving along. To much times a wastin'!

So, I sincerely hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and if you can please excuse me now, I really need some time and space to score and interpret this becks depression inventory and a self portrait I obtained from a patient for a capital murder case in which I am the expert witness.

Last edited:
There's no need for blasphemy.

Same response. I was sincerely trying to be helpful and get accused of I don't know what. People want to do what a licensed psychologist does without becoming one and then when a licensed psychologist points out the problems with that, they get upset. I never see this in the psychiatrist forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user