LMU c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe that is the issue. I don't know.

But in the end it doesn't really matter, because the end result is that there is a competitive time urgency for students trying to get into LMU: they have a time-sensitive response. Whether it's intentional, or miscommunication, or using different terminology ... none of that matters because the functional outcome is that LMU is using a first-come, first-served admissions process, which is EXACTLY what AAVMC/VMCAS have worked to avoid. Such a system is not in the best interest of students, AND it's not in the best interest of vet schools.
Yeah... I mentioned in another post how the other schools I had offers to interview at, interviewed all their applicants, and then decides after everyone has been interviewed, that way they can set up their offers, wait list, etc. and time wouldn't really play a role into it.

I just hope being at LMU, this won't come to bite us in the rear end as students, which is partly why I was so defensive in the beginning, I don't want there to be issues, because if the AAVMC decides LMU isn't up to standards and shouldn't have a vet school, I am hoping that the students attending there wouldn't get shorted.

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing I think would be negative about that, is what if the school offered to someone really early on that just met the criteria, and then didn't have the room if they interviewed someone that was an amazing candidate at the end of the interview range? I only ask because I am truly curious. The other schools I had the invitation to interview for did all of the interviews in one week, and that way they could evaluate after, so no one was screwed due to the timing of when their interview slot was.

I by no means said it was perfect, and I do wonder about that. If the person was truly amazing and the school recognized that, I'm sure they would offer the spot. Penn also puts people on "hold" where they reevaluate you with each week and compare you to later applicants. This is probably their way of trying to deal with that issue.

The only thing I think would be negative about that, is what if the school offered to someone really early on that just met the criteria, and then didn't have the room if they interviewed someone that was an amazing candidate at the end of the interview range? I only ask because I am truly curious. The other schools I had the invitation to interview for did all of the interviews in one week, and that way they could evaluate after, so no one was screwed due to the timing of when their interview slot was.

The way most schools handle it is simply to wait until they are done interviewing people to make any offers. It's not really that complicated. It doesn't matter how long you take to do your interviews; just hold off on sending out offers until you're done. That's the whole point: so that schools can take the time they need for their process, because they know that all students have until April 15th to make a decision. (Well, unless you happened to be applying to LMU this year.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just hope being at LMU, this won't come to bite us in the rear end as students, which is partly why I was so defensive in the beginning, I don't want there to be issues, because if the AAVMC decides LMU isn't up to standards and shouldn't have a vet school, I am hoping that the students attending there wouldn't get shorted.

Students at LMU are not going to get shorted, and anyone who goes there will almost certainly come out just fine. Provisional accreditation is in place, and the odds are incredibly high that students from LMU will do exactly as well as students anywhere else and be the same caliber doctor as a graduate of any other school.

But it is super critical that y'all not bury your heads in the sand over things like this; if you care about LMU and want it to succeed, it's in your best interest and the schools best interest not to ignore problems.

Reactions: 1 user
Students at LMU are not going to get shorted, and anyone who goes there will almost certainly come out just fine. Provisional accreditation is in place, and the odds are incredibly high that students from LMU will do exactly as well as students anywhere else and be the same caliber doctor as a graduate of any other school.

But it is super critical that y'all not bury your heads in the sand over things like this; if you care about LMU and want it to succeed, it's in your best interest and the schools best interest not to ignore problems.
I appreciate the info. Truly.

Are campus pubs uncommon? We have one. I don't think I've ever gone to a university without a pub on campus.

Oh, I think they are (at larger schools, anyway). But at UMN, our campuses are split between a relatively small St. Paul campus (picture a moderate-size liberal arts college) and the Minneapolis campus (big university campus feel). They're only a 10-minute free shuttle bus ride apart, but there's nothing like a pub here on St. Paul campus (where the vet school is located).

Are campus pubs uncommon? We have one. I don't think I've ever gone to a university without a pub on campus.

The main campus has one or two, the health sciences campus where the med/vet schools are don't. :( My undergrad was a dry campus, but I think that is pretty uncommon.

Oh, I think they are (at larger schools, anyway). But at UMN, our campuses are split between a relatively small St. Paul campus (picture a moderate-size liberal arts college) and the Minneapolis campus (big university campus feel). They're only a 10-minute free shuttle bus ride apart, but there's nothing like a pub here on St. Paul campus (where the vet school is located).

I'm not sure what you consider small, but my first undergrad was a measly 1100 students and even it had its own pub. :D We take our pubs seriously in Nova Scotia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything about housing? When I went to visit they said they were unsure about making the dorms pet friendly. Any news about that? Also do we have a class of 2018 Facebook group started yet?

Has anyone heard anything about housing? When I went to visit they said they were unsure about making the dorms pet friendly. Any news about that? Also do we have a class of 2018 Facebook group started yet?

Last I heard the dorms were not pet friendly, unfortunately, and doesn't look like they will be anytime soon and yes there is a Facebook group that has been started! Hope to see you there!

The way most schools handle it is simply to wait until they are done interviewing people to make any offers. It's not really that complicated. It doesn't matter how long you take to do your interviews; just hold off on sending out offers until you're done. That's the whole point: so that schools can take the time they need for their process, because they know that all students have until April 15th to make a decision. (Well, unless you happened to be applying to LMU this year.)
Yes I really wish LMU had done this because when they called to let me know I was in pending status they said it was dependent on my fall grades. My fall grades literally arrived 2 days after my interview and were very good. Now if I would have scheduled my interview a week later than I did I believe I would have gotten accepted. Now this whole pending thing is crazy because when I spoke to my interviewer he said they would be reviewing my fall grades and deciding. I have gotten 3 e-mails that they would be reviewing pending applications starting early Feb. and then got one mid feb. saying in the next 3 weeks they would be reviewing them now I got an e-mail that we can update our application until March 15 when they will be reviewing the pending applications and get either an alternate or denial after march 15th. This whole thing is incredibly stressful. It sounds like they have offered way more than seats available and already have a wait list. Does anyone know how many were offered a seat and put on a wait list? Is this common for schools to interview this way and let the people know week by week?

I have seen some pictures of e-mails saying that as of the end of Feb, the LMU class was full...however, I have not received a decision letter one way or the other. Does anyone know what is going on?

Also, why would pending applicants be able to update their applications until mid-March if the class was already full by the end of February? This does not make any sense...

Also, why would pending applicants be able to update their applications until mid-March if the class was already full by the end of February? This does not make any sense...
my thoughts exactly....I also don't understand why they were still interviewing when they had pending applicants. I just want to know if I have been denied or put as an alternate and what number if on the list. Mid Feb. they said 3 more weeks, then we got a note saying after march 15th they will be reviewing them. I just don't get what's going on. There must be some reason for all this but it doesn't match up why they did are doing it this way. I mean isn't there already a waiting list for who was accepted...I just need to know either way soon! This whole pending thing is crazy...First they told me they were going to look at it when they received my fall grades and my acceptance was hinging on that, that was early January. They received my fall transcripts at the end of the week I interviewed. It is almost April now. This is really crazy that info keeps getting changed. I do understand that it is their first year and will have some discrepancies and pitfalls but I am started to get really frustrated. I just need to know if I am denied or not...Sorry to complain just stressed. Why are they waiting. I thought people have for sure accepted. Is it common for people to drop out rt before the deadline?

To answer your questions @krupajl and @Pennylover06, it is not necessarily unusual to continue interviewing with some applicants pending and allowing pending/waitlisted applicants to update their information. Schools that do interviews over longer periods of time tend to do this, for example at Penn some people are put on 'hold' while interviews continue. This is done when admissions committees think a student has potential to be accepted, but want to see them in the context of all of the applicants. It also helps by leaving spots open throughout the process so that students interviewing later are not at a disadvantage. The unusual/unfortunate aspect of lmu's process specifically is that they apparently over-accepted and then added students who were not amount the first 85 to reply on the wait list. Pending and wait listed applicants should be the ONLY applicants that are "moved" (i.e. changed to accepted, rejected, etc.) before April 15th. And @krupajl, it is not normal for people to "drop out" before the deadline because all other schools do not require students to make their decision/send deposits before the deadline. However it is definitely normal for people to send their decisions to schools at the last minute. Many schools do not start calling people off of the wait list until after April 15th, so don't fret just yet :) However this is clearly an unusual situation so it is hard to say for certain what your "pending" position means. I am truly sorry for everyone who has been affected by this.

@VMCASSTAFF, are there any updates on this situation and/or on the student panel you mentioned earlier?

I was pulled off the waitlist! Got an acceptance letter in the mail on Monday ad called yesterday to confirm that I was officially a member of the class and no longer on the accepted waitlist!

Now the hunt for housing and a roomate starts!

Reactions: 3 users
I was pulled off the waitlist! Got an acceptance letter in the mail on Monday ad called yesterday to confirm that I was officially a member of the class and no longer on the accepted waitlist!

Congrats! I'm excited to have you as part of our class!

Congratulations on getting in, and good luck finding a house. There is not a whole lot to chose from. I would start looking as soon as possible.

Congrats! That's awesome! So just to clarify, were you one of the people that was accepted and then wait listed when the class became full?

Congrats! That's awesome! So just to clarify, were you one of the people that was accepted and then wait listed when the class became full?
Yes

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you guys pack an iron or a small steamer - I just looked at LMU's dress code for the vet school and, apparently, they don't allow any wrinkles in your clothes - they'll send you home and call it an unexcused absence if you have wrinkled clothes. They have one of the strictest dress codes I've ever seen.

Make sure you guys pack an iron or a small steamer - I just looked at LMU's dress code for the vet school and, apparently, they don't allow any wrinkles in your clothes - they'll send you home and call it an unexcused absence if you have wrinkled clothes. They have one of the strictest dress codes I've ever seen.

Wow I saw this and was curious about LMU policy so I looked it up. That is intense- I wonder if they will actually hold students to this and truly send them home from class to change (?) How many other Vet Schools have dress codes like this?

Wow I saw this and was curious about LMU policy so I looked it up. That is intense- I wonder if they will actually hold students to this and truly send them home from class to change (?) How many other Vet Schools have dress codes like this?

Auburn has one and is pretty strict about it. Business casual while at school. I'm pretty sure they said you can't even wear something else in and change in the school. No shorts before 5 for guys.

I think Mississippi has one too.

We're able to wear jeans as long as they don't have rips or holes, which is nice. It's not nearly as strict as Auburn with business casual all the time. We just have to look presentable, because we are going to be at a professional school.

I have a quick question. I was offered a seat at the end of my interview with Dr. Schadler back in November. I never received an acceptance email or letter in the mail. Is this normal for others who had been accepted or was I the only one? I decided to wait to accept my seat to see if I could get into my in-state school first. Of course I waited to long and got bumped to the LMU waitlist. I just wanted to know if those who had been accepted received any written form of acceptance, not just verbal??

I have a quick question. I was offered a seat at the end of my interview with Dr. Schadler back in November. I never received an acceptance email or letter in the mail. Is this normal for others who had been accepted or was I the only one? I decided to wait to accept my seat to see if I could get into my in-state school first. Of course I waited to long and got bumped to the LMU waitlist. I just wanted to know if those who had been accepted received any written form of acceptance, not just verbal??
When I was initially accepted I was in the same situation never receiving anything in writing.

Has anyone heard anything since the April 15th deadline? I called a few days ago but haven't received a call back.

Hi All,

Thanks for your patience. Yes, just today, (moments ago in fact) I was informed by LMU that they will be honoring all offered seats for the inaugural class. Please be clear that applicants that are on the alternate list will be contacted only if a seat becomes available. Remember, the alternate list was never offered a seat.

TW

Reactions: 2 users
Declined my offer yesterday. Good luck to those of you on the alternate list!

Hello all, I was wondering if any of you that already attend LMU if you know anything about the master of science program-pre vet track? They say you will get to meet with the dean for next years class but I want to know if you really are considered before the paper applicants.