LMU facebook ads. thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apr27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been getting a lot of sponsored Facebook ads for LMU. On one hand, it does advertise the school/DO profession, but, on another hand, it kind of makes the profession feel like a trade school. Maybe I'm not using the right words or I'm looking too much into this, but something just kind of rubs me the wrong way.

I was just wondering if you guys had any thoughts on this.

Cheers to a productive week,

apr27

Members don't see this ad.

I don't like it. Their advertisements look too close to Ross and any other Carribean medical school trying to pawn themselves off as an easy way to become a doctor. Sad thing is that there were a few people who commented on them with conerns and those comments have mysteriously dissapeared.

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What do the ads say? Any screenshots?

Really though, medical school is a trade school. We're not learning to be scientists. We're learning a trade. It's a very hard, complicated trade but it's still a trade. Isn't that all a profession is?

Reactions: 1 users

Really though, medical school is a trade school. We're not learning to be scientists. We're learning a trade. It's a very hard, complicated trade but it's still a trade. Isn't that all a profession is?

It said something to the likes of "advanced your career through LMU-Debusk" or something of the sort. It was some reallllly cheesy statement.

There's truth to that, I don't think medical schools need to advertise that hard beyond the fact that there may be an enrollment issue there.

It said something to the likes of "advanced your career through LMU-Debusk" or something of the sort. It was some reallllly cheesy statement.

There's truth to that, I don't think medical schools need to advertise that hard beyond the fact that there may be an enrollment issue there.

Enrollment, no. But whether they want to see a different sort apply? Possibly.

How do LMU grads pass med school at a rate that's similar to other med schools? Their standards are soo much lower. I know a kid there from undergrad that would literally drop every hard science class (orgo, physics, etc) and retake it. I think their avg mcat is like a 24-25.

Im sure there are some really smart ppl at LMU that just did not study in college and took the first acceptance they could get. But what about the students that actually studied and still got a 24? Please help me to understand

wonder if LMU will open a branch campus sooner or later...

wonder if LMU will open a branch campus sooner or later...

They've only been around for like, 5-6 years. And hopefully by the time they're established or old enough to develop a branch standards will have changed enough for them to be changed.

How do LMU grads pass med school at a rate that's similar to other med schools? Their standards are soo much lower. I know a kid there from undergrad that would literally drop every hard science class (orgo, physics, etc) and retake it. I think their avg mcat is like a 24-25.

Im sure there are some really smart ppl at LMU that just did not study in college and took the first acceptance they could get. But what about the students that actually studied and still got a 24? Please help me to understand

You know multiple DO schools were/are around that range right? CUSOM/VCOMs/WVSOMs/Liberty/WCU, etc. I think LMU average last cycle was 26-27.

You know multiple DO schools were/are around that range right? CUSOM/VCOMs/WVSOMs/Liberty/WCU, etc. I think LMU average last cycle was 26-27.
cusom is up in the 27ish now I think

Ya but I dont get it. I know really smart ppl at DO schools like CCOM and stuff that got 30's on their MCAT and they are still having a really hard time cuz of the volume of info in med school. How are ppl, with much lower scores, passing at such high rates? Am I missing something?

I know other smart ppl from college that got like a 27s on the MCAT but they never studied in college so in med school they just started studying a lot more. Are you telling me that schools like LMU are just filled with people that simply did not study in college which is why their scores are so low?

Members don't see this ad :)
cusom is up in the 27ish now I think

Yeah probably. It's mostly irrelevant anyway. Touro-NY or AZCOM may have 30ish averages, but you're still teaching yourself for two years anyway. The faculty act solely as a vector for power points regardless of what school you attend. The schools may have better rotations (AZOM, has had multiple complaints previously about theirs, but alas). After that, it's up to the individual to crush boards or end up in a non-competitive specialty.

Ya but I dont get it. I know really smart ppl at DO schools like CCOM and stuff that got 30's on their MCAT and they are still having a really hard time cuz of the volume of info in med school. How are ppl, with much lower scores, passing at such high rates? Am I missing something?

I know other smart ppl from college that got like a 27s on the MCAT but they never studied in college so in med school they just started studying a lot more. Are you telling me that schools like LMU are just filled with people that simply did not study in college which is why their scores are so low?

Oh sorry, I interpreted your post incorrectly. You have to remember that maybe, what, five, six, seven? years ago, you could be competitive with a 23-25 MCAT easily for lower-to-mid tier schools. MCAT is only a loose correlation to doing well in medical school, but they have to have something due to the volume of applicants.

I think the average is closer to a 27 now.
Perhaps the faculty is good.
Perhaps they are just good at picking the diamonds in the rough.
Perhaps there is nothing to do in Harrogate TN except study...

Enrollment, no. But whether they want to see a different sort apply? Possibly.

Facebook isn't the best way to recruit the next generation of physicians. It looks like a cop out and I still see it as a way to boost applicant numbers. Hard being shadowed by a beast of an MD school (good 'ol Vandy 2.0) so maybe this is their attempt to share their name and IMO it's not the way they should be doing it.

Building better resources such as stronger clinical training, faculty who are leading in their field, increased collaboration with research inst would be the ideal.

Facebook isn't the best way to recruit the next generation of physicians. It looks like a cop out and I still see it as a way to boost applicant numbers. Hard being shadowed by a beast of an MD school (good 'ol Vandy 2.0) so maybe this is their attempt to share their name and IMO it's not the way they should be doing it.

Building better resources such as stronger clinical training, faculty who are leading in their field, increased collaboration with research inst would be the ideal.

Assuming these are ads, they're targeting people who have been reading and searching about medical school. Probably a pretty good way to advertise, actually.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh my GOD you all are so arrogant on here! My radiologist went to a Caribbean school and is a great doctor so OP, you should consider your options--all of them--honestly, and take the advice on here with a grain of salt.

Oh my GOD you all are so arrogant on here! My radiologist went to a Caribbean school and is a great doctor so OP, you should consider your options--all of them--honestly, and take the advice on here with a grain of salt.

Statistically the chances of you leaving the Carib and entering a radiology residency is almost 0 today. Hell, graduating from the Carib these days is a 50/50 chance, you want to test your luck with an investment? Find a good stock instead.

Oh sorry, I interpreted your post incorrectly. You have to remember that maybe, what, five, six, seven? years ago, you could be competitive with a 23-25 MCAT easily for lower-to-mid tier schools. MCAT is only a loose correlation to doing well in medical school, but they have to have something due to the volume of applicants.
average grades and 23-25 is still competitive enough to get at least 1 acceptance.

also last year, there were two people here with average grades and 22-23 that got into LMU.

Last edited:
Three things (from someone who knows absolutely nothing about LMU):
1) Facebook ads are creepy and targeted. Pre-meds and medical students are seeing the ads. I doubt random John Doe is getting the same ads.
2) A lot of reputable, major universities advertise with TV commercials, particularly during football season. Is a med school doing some online advertising really that different?
3) Does anybody actually click ads from Facebook, anyway? I don't think I ever have.

Just a clarification, colleague, LMU (lincoln Memorial/debusk) is NOT Liberty University.

Liberty University is like the third or fourth biggest online college in the US.

Why it would surprise anyone that they are ahead of the curve on targeted advertising online is beyond me

Reactions: 2 users
They're targeted ads. They don't show up in just anyone's feed- they only show up if you were looking at the school to begin with. They're not advertising to everyone, just premeds that had already done some googling. I see nothing wrong with that.

They're targeted ads. They don't show up in just anyone's feed- they only show up if you were looking at the school to begin with. They're not advertising to everyone, just premeds that had already done some googling. I see nothing wrong with that.

That sounds right. It's why stuff you were looking at on amazon shows up on your Facebook feed. Regardless, there's a mix of students here at DCOM. High GPA/low MCAT, vice versa, people who liked this place better than other schools they were accepted and people who just wanted to stay close to home. Once you get to med school, we're all on the same plane.

average grades and 23-25 is still competitive enough to get at least 1 acceptance.

also last year, there were two people here with average grades and 22-23 that got into LMU.

I bet that was me, those were my stats. I'm doing just fine at dcom if anyone was curious.

I bet that was me, those were my stats. I'm doing just fine at dcom if anyone was curious.

Hey j/c but how did you make the leap from a ~24 MCAT to being successful in med school? Did you just not study much in UG? How much do you study now?

Btw congrats on doing well in med school.

No. Medical school is leaps and bounds harder and more intellectual than most other types of schools. There's no reason to make our schools look like Phoenix or devry.. It makes it look cheap and crappy. Gotta keep the high standards that is medical school.. Don't need ads. MD or DO

I had a decently crappy Mcat score and I'm doing quite well. I'm a great reader too and not too shabby at math .. Key point? Mcat subjects are mainly boring as hell, and Mcat has zero to do with what is inside medical school. Med school testing is so much more enjoyable than trying to memorize physics equations that i will never use. Okay I'm lying... We use ohms, pouiselle, and some other random law.

Hey j/c but how did you make the leap from a ~24 MCAT to being successful in med school? Did you just not study much in UG? How much do you study now?

Thanks,

Actually, my mcats were lower than that. 22, 23, 22 and then 498. My grades in undergrad weren't the problem. 3.2 in jr college and 3.7 (all As in the upper level science courses) after I transferred. My prerequisites were all taken at the junior college and they were Bs and Cs, no failed courses. If I had to somehow relate them to the mcat, the courses in no way taught me the basic information I needed for the mcat. When I got the prep course books, I was pretty much seeing those facts for the first time. Not to mention, the mcat is a critical thinking exam; it wanted things that my brain just flat out isn't good at. But with the exams here, heck yah my brain can memorize facts, heck yah I can understand pathways and how this can affect that, heck yah I can spend countless hours just studying and comprehending a ton of information - and then be happy doing it.

A side note with the mcat stuff, I was also working part time and had a family life that was heavily involved with show cattle. So with regards to answering "why do I have multiple bad mcat scores but haven't flunked out yet?" - my best answer is that a lot stuff related to the mcat doesn't translate over to my medical school experience.

For this moment, my study habits are pretty normal, I'm still in that phase of trying different study methods because of course I want my grades to be higher :p. I attend lecture everyday because I like seeing my friends and if I watch it online later, I know I wont pay attention, I'm not an auditory learner. I go over the powerpoints that night, and with my whiteboard I just start writing out details and saying specific things out loud until it's in my head. Then I try to at least skim the lectures for the next day. On a normal day, I get up around 6:30 am, go to class, then afternoon lab/s, then head home and study for 4-5 hours and then bed around 11:30.

Whoa this isn't true man. Maybe for the bridge students but certainly not those who actually get a straight up acceptance. The average is not 24.

22-23 is not viable here without the bridge/masters to my knowledge. The cut off for Masters is a 22, but that is a linkage program and shouldn't be considering indicative of what a general accepted applicant will have to LMU.

I mean I will be the first one to tell you I don't like the huge size of the masters program and the large class size in general, but some of the stuff going on in this thread is just false. BTW 2019 was the 9th incoming class, not the 5th or 6th.

I think the average is closer to a 27 now. Correct
Perhaps the faculty is good. Mixed bag
Perhaps they are just good at picking the diamonds in the rough.They cast a massive net with the 140 student masters program (doubled in size this year) Its basically a way to decompress the first year of med school by separating out some of the classes (MGA, Histo, Nueroanatomy are done as Master Student and do not have to be repeated if you get a B). Works well for the Masters students from what I can see, but I suspect a cliff will come in second year when they must face the full load.
Perhaps there is nothing to do in Harrogate TN except study... Truer words have hardly ever been spoken

Good posts, I gave the answers.

Despite it's indicator of risk for doing poorly in med school, a poor MCAT doesn't mean you can't succeed in med school. One of my top students ever had a low 20s.

I'm sure this is the case at other schools at well, but from what I've seen, there are a substantial amount of non-traditional students at LMU. Many of the ones I've met went through undergrad while supporting entire families and their average stats are simply because of not having time while in undergrad. If they're able to attain average DO school stats while they're working and supporting a family, is it really unreasonable to think that they couldn't do well while living off a loan and not working?

The last part is 100% true, your options are study or go hang out at Walmart. Professors are pretty good too, though I have no other medical school to compare our professors against.

I've been getting a lot of sponsored Facebook ads for LMU. On one hand, it does advertise the school/DO profession, but, on another hand, it kind of makes the profession feel like a trade school. Maybe I'm not using the right words or I'm looking too much into this, but something just kind of rubs me the wrong way.

I was just wondering if you guys had any thoughts on this.

Cheers to a productive week,

apr27

I don't like it, I am upset that COCA allowed RVU to open another for profit DO school in Utah, its very disappointing that DO schools are now becoming more like Caribbean diploma mills. As the Caribbean schools close down, DO schools are now becoming the new 2nd tier medical schools for those who cannot get admission into LCME medical schools. There was a point in time where DO schools nearly achieved parity with lower tier MD schools but that is being quickly undone.

There was a time in the past where if you went to a DO school you were limited to being an OMM practitioner or a Family Physician, and the way things are going we are headed back to those days.

I don't like it, I am upset that COCA allowed RVU to open another for profit DO school in Utah, its very disappointing that DO schools are now becoming more like Caribbean diploma mills. As the Caribbean schools close down, DO schools are now becoming the new 2nd tier medical schools for those who cannot get admission into LCME medical schools. There was a point in time where DO schools nearly achieved parity with lower tier MD schools but that is being quickly undone.

There was a time in the past where if you went to a DO school you were limited to being an OMM practitioner or a Family Physician, and the way things are going we are headed back to those days.

You're doom and gloom is infamous in these boards. Where do you have proof for either of these claims?

DO admissions stats are going up because of the increased competition and people not wanting to go to the Caribbean. DO has ALWAYS been 2nd tier to MD. I'm not a fan of the hyperplasia of schools, but it's not going to ruin the profession. The cream will rise to the top. They do need to stop opening schools before we get a similar situation to law grads.

You're doom and gloom is infamous in these boards. Where do you have proof for either of these claims?

DO admissions stats are going up because of the increased competition and people not wanting to go to the Caribbean. DO has ALWAYS been 2nd tier to MD. I'm not a fan of the hyperplasia of schools, but it's not going to ruin the profession. The cream will rise to the top. They do need to stop opening schools before we get a similar situation to law grads.

Its not about people wanting to go to the Caribbean its about the fact that foreign schools just are not very viable, for a while DO schools were not 2nd tier, some schools gained quite a bit of respect such as PCOM, almost achieving parity with MD schools for a brief moment in time, but now we are being relegated back to 2nd tier status.

And the last part of your statement says it all, we will become like law grads, which considering the number of law grads not actually practicing law, is not a very good sign.

When I hear about schools like Burrell, it makes me feel good about the profession, but when I hear about RVU and LUCOM it makes me lose sleep. I think the Board of Directors needs to fire the COCA President and hire someone else.

I always find it funny when people complain about having inappropriate ads like for dating/hookup sites, links to lingerie companies or porn or whatever, show up when they are browsing the web. Are they not aware of targeted advertising?
I don't know how Facebook came to the conclusion I'm a pregnant black woman, but it did.
All my ads are for hair products/skin products for black women and babies. I don't know what I've searched for that. :shrug:

When I hear about schools like Burrell, it makes me feel good about the profession, but when I hear about RVU and LUCOM it makes me lose sleep. I think the Board of Directors needs to fire the COCA President and hire someone else.

I know there was a lot of concern about RVU when it opened, but now their board scores and match lists are seemingly solid, and they're prepping their students for the USMLE as well as the COMLEX. Like RVUCOM, BCOM will also be for-profit. Why are you okay with one but not the other?

I know there was a lot of concern about RVU when it opened, but now their board scores and match lists are seemingly solid, and they're prepping their students for the USMLE as well as the COMLEX. Like RVUCOM, BCOM will also be for-profit. Why are you okay with one but not the other?

BCOM is at least trying to make itself a legitimate institution of scholarly activity by associating with a large public university, RVU was founded by Yife Tien who comes from a family of profiteers that have been involved in Caribbean medical schools, his father built the American University of Caribbean and Mr. Tien was also involved in managing that school, now Mr. Tien has moved on to Osteopathic Medical schools. I am not alone in my opposition to this man's involvement in the DO community, there are many people who do not like RVU and do not like Mr. Tien.

And Dan Burrell is only involved in BCOM as an act of Philanthropy, which is honorable, he wants to leave a legacy.

when was it that you thought DO schools almost achieved parity?

BCOM is at least trying to make itself a legitimate institution of scholarly activity by associating with a large public university, RVU was founded by Yife Tien who comes from a family of profiteers that have been involved in Caribbean medical schools, his father built the American University of Caribbean and Mr. Tien was also involved in managing that school, now Mr. Tien has moved on to Osteopathic Medical schools. I am not alone in my opposition to this man's involvement in the DO community, there are many people who do not like RVU and do not like Mr. Tien.

And Dan Burrell is only involved in BCOM as an act of Philanthropy, which is honorable, he wants to leave a legacy.

This thread's not supposed to be about BCOM so this is my last post on this-- BCOM is not actually part of NMSU, it's a private institution that happens to be at NMSU. Their website says repeatedly that "The Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine at New Mexico State University is a free-standing, privately-funded, separately licensed and independently operated entity and not part of NMSU."

That said, I think it has the potential to be a very good school, that the relationship gives their students potential for research opportunities, and that and New Mexico is definitely in need of more physicians so I support their goals, but I think you're overselling their relationship to the university.

I don't know how Facebook came to the conclusion I'm a pregnant black woman, but it did.
All my ads are for hair products/skin products for black women and babies. I don't know what I've searched for that. :shrug:

I agree.

I guess I wasn't clear in that I was more alarmed by its mere existence as opposed to it just being present on my Facebook feed. I could care less for targeted ads. I just don't agree with the creation of this targeted ad.

Edit: that was suppose to be a reply to southernsurgeon's

I agree.

I guess I wasn't clear in that I was more alarmed by its mere existence as opposed to it just being present on my Facebook feed. I could care less for targeted ads. I just don't agree with the creation of this targeted ad.

Edit: that was suppose to be a reply to southernsurgeon's
I was really confused on why you agreed to me being a pregnant black woman.

I'm just popping in to clear up some trash. MS2 at DCOM. Also, I haven't seen the facebook ads but yeah ... not a fan of that. They don't have a shortage of applicants, so I don't know why they'd spend the money on ads.

Bolded thing things I know are true. Class of 2018 had an average MCAT just under 27. If you look at the people that entered without the masters program, it was just under a 29. We have a lot of california students, so take that for what you will. These numbers were confirmed to me by the interim dean. I don't know what class of 2019's numbers are, but know that they're higher than 2018.

The faculty as a whole is very strong. There are a number of quality professors. There are some great professors. There are some poor professors. It's not a weakness here.

The location sucks. I can't wait to get out of here. I grew up very rural, but damn. I can't even get a steak here. It's very pretty, at least. I'm just glad I can leave harrogate in a few months. People say that the location is a pro since it helps you focus. Those people are nuts.

Read my reply above. The standards aren't that low here. I do think that we let in the occasional underdog (like ... really underdog) and those stats get blown up around here. My class is really smart, and think the preclinical education I've got here in my first (almost) 1.5 years has been top notch. The high amount of masters students that enter the class skew the stats tremendously. But that doesn't mean anything, some of the brightest people in my class did the masters program.

They've only been around for like, 5-6 years. And hopefully by the time they're established or old enough to develop a branch standards will have changed enough for them to be changed.
DCOM has been around since 2007, or about 9 years. We've had 5 classes match, so 5-6 years is definitely stretching it.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm just popping in to clear up some trash. MS2 at DCOM. Also, I haven't seen the facebook ads but yeah ... not a fan of that. They don't have a shortage of applicants, so I don't know why they'd spend the money on ads.

Bolded thing things I know are true. Class of 2018 had an average MCAT just under 27. If you look at the people that entered without the masters program, it was just under a 29. We have a lot of california students, so take that for what you will. These numbers were confirmed to me by the interim dean. I don't know what class of 2019's numbers are, but know that they're higher than 2018.

The faculty as a whole is very strong. There are a number of quality professors. There are some great professors. There are some poor professors. It's not a weakness here.

The location sucks. I can't wait to get out of here. I grew up very rural, but damn. I can't even get a steak here. It's very pretty, at least. I'm just glad I can leave harrogate in a few months. People say that the location is a pro since it helps you focus. Those people are nuts.

Read my reply above. The standards aren't that low here. I do think that we let in the occasional underdog (like ... really underdog) and those stats get blown up around here. My class is really smart, and think the preclinical education I've got here in my first (almost) 1.5 years has been top notch. The high amount of masters students that enter the class skew the stats tremendously. But that doesn't mean anything, some of the brightest people in my class did the masters program.

DCOM has been around since 2007, or about 9 years. We've had 5 classes match, so 5-6 years is definitely stretching it.

From California, it is a big change.
Even harder to get sushi around here. Just got back from a trip all the way to Knoxville for some sushi after the exam we had.

From California, it is a big change.
Even harder to get sushi around here. Just got back from a trip all the way to Knoxville for some sushi after the exam we had.

From Hawaii.
That sucks hard. Love poke (raw fish fusion food) and I don't think you can get that on the mainland... I can't even imagine not having sushi.

Can you find the source for the MCAT info that's not just hearsay, like a document or something?
A 29 - masters and a 27 with masters seems awful high for DCOM, especially since their website says a 24 is considered competitive.
I have no problem with DCOM, those numbers just seen inflated.

From Hawaii.
That sucks hard. Love poke (raw fish fusion food) and I don't think you can get that on the mainland... I can't even imagine not having sushi.
Tried poke when I went to Hawaii this past summer, it was great. There are a few good poke places in LA, but definitely none over here in Tennessee.