Locums rate/negotiations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyHeenan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did some rad onc locums in residency a few years back and am thinking of maybe doing a week and taking the family somewhere different/fun as kind of a working vacation.

I can't help and think these advertised locum rates/pay are really lower than I thought they would be. I imagine these locums companies are taking a pretty hefty cut.

Anyone have any success in negotiating the rates up? I worked at three different places for ~$1,000/day working as a chief resident as a locum basically just babysitting linacs (minimal if any consults, no follow ups, and minimal treatment planning) so if I'm covering a busy clinic as a board certified rad onc seeing new consults and doing treatment planning, I'd anticipate that rates should be more than this - but they're often not (at least according to the locums companies).

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard the standard rate is around $1500 + flight/room/transport (meals, incidentals etc. not included). $1K for a BC rad onc sounds low IMO. Guess it depends on the supply/demand of a particular locale.

I think there may also be an ASTRO "surcharge" depending on the situation.

As a resident, $800 - $1k for a whole day is standard. As a BC RO, if you go through a locums company, you usually get $1200/day + expenses. If you negotiate it yourself you may be able to get higher depending on supply/demand as medgator noted above.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on how desireable the location is. If you're wanting to take a working vacation, I assume you're looking for a desireable area..and so will others..so my experience has been you're only gonna get the 1k per day for those assignments, unless it's last-minute or during ASTRO or some other extenuating circumstance. If it's Omaha, NE - yes, you can negotiate much higher, I've seen as high as $1700/day.

I personally wouldn't recommend skirting the locums company to arrange it yourself..way too much of a hassle with privileges, malpractice, etc etc

Thanks for the input.

I definitely wasn't thinking about skirting the locums company. I just figured that if their first "offer" is for $1,100/day, then assuming a non-beach location then I may have some wiggle room to propose $1,400/day and we could see where that goes.

Any one have recent experience with locums rates (last couple months)? Specifically in undesirable locales? Has the influx of graduating residents impacted it?

I've usually received $1000/day for babysitting in my area. I much prefer those gigs, and have turned down more strenuous gigs that can pay up to $1500.

It's not that I'm lazy--moonlighting within driving distance can be a good time to work on studying, research, and/or personal things like house hunting while getting paid :)

I agree with the op--$1000/day involving travel and actually working doesn't sound like a great rate.

Seems to me that the glut of new grads hasn't yet affected these rates. Moonlighters are often older and semi-retired. I have heard of some groups pushing under $1000/day, but I haven't personally experienced that yet for BE/BC rad onc.

I did some rad onc locums in residency a few years back and am thinking of maybe doing a week and taking the family somewhere different/fun as kind of a working vacation.

I can't help and think these advertised locum rates/pay are really lower than I thought they would be. I imagine these locums companies are taking a pretty hefty cut.

Anyone have any success in negotiating the rates up? I worked at three different places for ~$1,000/day working as a chief resident as a locum basically just babysitting linacs (minimal if any consults, no follow ups, and minimal treatment planning) so if I'm covering a busy clinic as a board certified rad onc seeing new consults and doing treatment planning, I'd anticipate that rates should be more than this - but they're often not (at least according to the locums companies).

Just enjoy your time with your family. Those moments are precious.

Reactions: 1 user
Would agree with the above regarding the rates.... we have "babysitter" @ $1k/day, no consults, special procedures, fu or sims, just physician presence, seeing otvs, checking films/image guidance.

As mpdoc alluded to, beyond a certain point, time is priceless and no amount of money can substitute for it