Loma Linda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
angstrom55 said:
Congratulations Spitting Camel! Looks like we're both staying in CA! :D

Didn't apply to LLU, but been there once on a field trip....they had this trippy room with preserved fetuses with all these kinds of birth defects.....gross yet interesting.....

r u still waiting to hear from uci?

still waiting, but don't care as much anymore... Is that bad? hehe... I'm staying in Cali, and I get to go to a religious school (major attraction to me). I am on cloud 9, baby! I can't wait till next summer when I get to go on a medical mission!!!

Congrats again! Did you like my bowing joke? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

heh im going to loma linda too! does anyone know anyone looking for a roommate next year. I'm a Christian (nonSDA) asian guy looking for someone similar. Thanks!

Congrats Spitting Camel. I think you will like this place, especially if you are a religous person.

Members don't see this ad :)
jackiechan said:
heh im going to loma linda too! does anyone know anyone looking for a roommate next year. I'm a Christian (nonSDA) asian guy looking for someone similar. Thanks!

Do you know how much the student budget allows for housing? I assume it will be a while before I get any finaid info. I was planning on living alone, especially since rent is less than a thou every month, but if they don't allow too much for living, I may be looking for a roomate.

Non-smoking
non-drinking
non-having sex (yes, seriously)
no pets (uh, fish tank ok)
no girlfriend/any friend who practically lives with us, but doesn't pay rent and is not on the lease
clean, especially bathroom :)
good personal higene
Male
Almost any religion
Any Race...

shall I continue?

Above is why I have to live alone... :laugh:

Jalby said:
Congrats Spitting Camel. I think you will like this place, especially if you are a religous person.

I already love it!! Thanks :)

here's the aid breakdown that's on the financial aid mail:

tuition: 32,500
books/supplies: 3,200
room/board: 8,030
personal expenses: 1,540
transportation: 3,465

Congrats again SC. :thumbup:

Spitting Camel said:
So, I have some news...

I was at work today and got THE call from Lenoa Edwards. Looks like I will be joining the rest of you lucky people at LLU this year!!!! What a GREAT feeling!!!!!!!! Falconer, I can wait to be your classmate this year. Do you think I can pm you with questions now?????? Woo whoooooooooo!!!!!!

you da man!! Congrats dude!!! alf Mabroook !! :clap:

jackiechan said:
here's the aid breakdown that's on the financial aid mail:

tuition: 32,500
books/supplies: 3,200
room/board: 8,030
personal expenses: 1,540
transportation: 3,465

Thanks, Jackie... very informative! I am even MORE excited now that I know how cheap it's going to be!! I'm assuming there was no grant or school award attached to that aid letter?

So here is what I have found of study places:

Starbucks: The one on California is quite well populated by Loma Lindians. It's fairly nice and quite.
The one on Orange street is definately the place to be if you are looking for fun. When I grew up in the Inland Empire, I always wondered where to hang out as a high school student. I found out. I was there on a friday night, and there was 50 high school students in the parking lot. I was the only person who was studying.

Over the next week I plan on getting to the Grounds for Enjoyment and the coffee shop formerly known as Grounds for Enjoyment. I also went to the jazz coffee shop on Orange street. Didn't like it to much. I donno why.

Jalby said:
So here is what I have found of study places:

Starbucks: The one on California is quite well populated by Loma Lindians. It's fairly nice and quite.
The one on Orange street is definately the place to be if you are looking for fun. When I grew up in the Inland Empire, I always wondered where to hang out as a high school student. I found out. I was there on a friday night, and there was 50 high school students in the parking lot. I was the only person who was studying.

Over the next week I plan on getting to the Grounds for Enjoyment and the coffee shop formerly known as Grounds for Enjoyment. I also went to the jazz coffee shop on Orange street. Didn't like it to much. I donno why.

About the whole coffee thing... I was just going over all of my stuff from interview day at LLU (I'm still sooooooo excited), and I re-read the packet given to us by the senate there, and they gave recommendations on nearby coffee shops... sounds like no one is sneaking coffee around and if I drank coffee (it absolutely turns my stomach), I wouldn't feel uncomfortable doing it.

congrat Camel.. maybe I will get your spot at BU :p

Members don't see this ad :)
mackaikai said:
congrat Camel.. maybe I will get your spot at BU :p

I hope you do! If you PM me your name, I'll ask them to give it specifically to you. I have nothing to lose :)

u can't be serious.. haha :D
maybe you can tell them 'my friend "xxx" really really want to come here"

mackaikai said:
u can't be serious.. haha :D
maybe you can tell them 'my friend "xxx" really really want to come here"

I'm dead serious. PM me your name :)

i wonder if they will black list me because of this! haha

Spitting Camel said:
So, I have some news...

I was at work today and got THE call from Lenoa Edwards. Looks like I will be joining the rest of you lucky people at LLU this year!!!! What a GREAT feeling!!!!!!!! Falconer, I can wait to be your classmate this year. Do you think I can pm you with questions now?????? Woo whoooooooooo!!!!!!

Congrats! That's awesome. I am so happy for you :)

So who's all going to LLU?

Spitting Camel said:
So, I have some news...

wow, congrats spitting camel!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

snowbear said:
Congrats! That's awesome. I am so happy for you :)

So who's all going to LLU?

Thanks Snowbear and Camstah!!!

LLU attendance:

Dupp
Svalenzuela
psychgirl
my friend from UCI
jackiechan
Spitting Camel
soon to be: Adapt

Not too shabby, huh? Come out, come out wherever you are, people!!

whoa....i take a break and big news occurs......
congratulations aid ;)

you must have jumped high enough to dunk over yao.

jlee9531 said:
whoa....i take a break and big news occurs......
congratulations aid ;)

you must have jumped high enough to dunk over yao.

jlee!!! Welcome back! Thanks, man! I'm still giddy today...I'm the biggest dork ever!

Spitting Camel, I'm excited for you man! That's awesome! Ya know I've been rooting for both you and adapt (he'll be next) to get into LL. So cool, congratulations!
-dupp

dupp said:
Spitting Camel, I'm excited for you man! That's awesome! Ya know I've been rooting for both you and adapt (he'll be next) to get into LL. So cool, congratulations!
-dupp

Thanks, dupp! Anyone else going?

dupp said:
-dupp
I hope so although my hope is fading. Ms. Edwards called me for my Senior grades a couple of days ago and I had to send it to her in an email.

Unfortunately my grades aren't at the same level as they were my previous 3 years. I think that could be the nail in the coffin for me. I just hope I don't get a rejection letter now. It just goes to show that perhaps senior grades do count especially if you haven't been accepted yet.

Adapt said:
I hope so although my hope is fading. Ms. Edwards called me for my Senior grades a couple of days ago and I had to send it to her in an email.

Unfortunately my grades aren't at the same level as they were my previous 3 years. I think that could be the nail in the coffin for me. I just hope I don't get a rejection letter now. It just goes to show that perhaps senior grades do count especially if you haven't been accepted yet.

Adapt,

A couple less-than-perfect grades wont kill you, I hope. You have great grades as it is. Those few can't erase three years worth of excellent performance. I am so on your side , man. We have been going through this for the longest time together, and I'm not about to give up now. Keep smiling! :) :luck:

Spitting Camel said:
Adapt,

A couple less-than-perfect grades wont kill you, I hope. You have great grades as it is. Those few can't erase three years worth of excellent performance. I am so on your side , man. We have been going through this for the longest time together, and I'm not about to give up now. Keep smiling! :) :luck:
Thanks for the support SC. Either way it's cool. I may end up seeing you on rotations because COMP students do their rotations at a few of the same hospitals that LLU students do theirs. :)

Adapt said:
Thanks for the support SC. Either way it's cool. I may end up seeing you on rotations because COMP students do their rotations at a few of the same hospitals that LLU students do theirs. :)

It isn't over yet. The one look at my crystal ball last year did loom an acceptance at a CA school in June, 2004. Fortunately/unfortunately, my crystal ball doesn't do rerun. Hang in there. Good luck

calcrew14 said:
It isn't over yet. The one look at my crystal ball last year did loom an acceptance at a CA school in June, 2004. Fortunately/unfortunately, my crystal ball doesn't do rerun. Hang in there. Good luck
That's true. I shall wait and see.

Adapt said:
That's true. I shall wait and see.

There was one guy who was accepted to UCI late July... July 24th to be exact. It ain't over till the first day of orientation at COMP. If you can't stay cheery, I'll just have to do it for the both of us!

Here's an informative post by Loma Lindian two years ago... Makes sense that the board scores are doing so well, since in 2002, 16-17% of the students scored in the 99th percentile.

Just to set the record straight...
I am a fourth year student at Loma Linda University, as such I can hopefully give you an honest account of the school and its policies. Here goes...

1)Admittance: I must preface this by saying that I am SDA (Seventh Day Adventist). LLU is looking for students that share their common interest in patient care. This is coming from a Christian perspective. As such, they are looking for Christian doctors. It doesn't matter if you are SDA or not as long as you fit into the mold of students that they want to train. They ask about religious preference because it is there prerogative--SDA's fund the hospital, so they want Christian doctors. If you don't agree with this philosophy, then this might not be the school for you. They also have a policy of living a healthy lifestyle, which includes not eating meat, drinking alcohol, or smoking. It is true that a person must sign a waiver that they will not drink alcohol--but the school doesn't police this. If someone puts that they drink occasionally, the admissions committee might explore to what extent alcohol is involved in their life. As for caffiene in the hospital, almost every floor has caffienated coffee, softdrinks, etc.. You just can't buy it in the cafeteria (as well as meat). I personally think the caf is pretty good.

2)Atmosphere: LLU focuses on whole person care--physical, mental, spiritual. There are classes during all four years that try to help students address all aspects of patient care--including spiritual. They do not force it on you, you don't have to follow their advice, but I personally believe that there is much credence in what LLU teaches. Classes have rankings, but they are based primarily on standardized tests (mock boards). There is a lot of camaraderie amongst the students. There will always be gunners, but they don't sabotage other students to my knowledge.

3)Didactics: The first year is pretty average with concerns to didactic material. I think the only strength of the first year is Anatomy. But this is more than made up by the second year. Second year pathology and pathophysiology are very strong. This is evidenced by Step I board scores. In the class below mine, 16-17% scored 99th percentile!!! Yeah I wished I started a year later... anyway, the teaching is second to none as far as BS on Step I are concerned.

4)Clinical: 3rd and 4th years have a pretty broad clinical experience, including 2 county, university, and VA settings. There is no elective time during the third year--which I think is a weakness if someone wants to do radiology, pathology, or other specialties. Also, most of the med schools in California participate in a standardized OSCE. Loma Linda's mean has been consistently one SD above all other schools means. LLU is KNOWN for the clinical skills that its grads leave with.

5)Reputation: LLU is known around the world--but primarily on the west coast. If someone wants to go to "the best" surgical subspecialty residency or something comparable, UCSF or Stanford might be a better choice. Can our grads get into these programs--of course, many grads go on to hopkins, MGH, UCSF, Mayo, etc.. LLU grads are known as being very solid physicians(according to what I've heard on the interview trail).

Anyway, I hope this helps. All in all, I've had a pretty great med school experience. For the high-powered, academic research types, LLU might not be the best for you. If you are concerned about getting a great education with an emphasis on ethical responsabilities of physicians, LLU is a great choice.

If you have any questions--plz post.

16-17% scoring above a 260 on the boards??? ~25-30 people???? There are 16000 people who go to medical school in the united states. (The average step one that is reported is for all first time united states and canadian medical schools) So there are 160 people in the 99th percentile. We can call it 240 if you count 98.5 percentile. So one out of 8 of the top scorers went to Loma Linda??? That must have been a great year recruiting students.

Jalby said:
16-17% scoring above a 260 on the boards??? ~25-30 people???? There are 16000 people who go to medical school in the united states. (The average step one that is reported is for all first time united states and canadian medical schools) So there are 160 people in the 99th percentile. We can call it 240 if you count 98.5 percentile. So one out of 8 of the top scorers went to Loma Linda??? That must have been a great year recruiting students.

Well when you put it like that... :laugh: I was just repeating a post by a Loma Linda student, but it does sound strange when the math is all done. Is that possible? Every school has their share of stars, but I'm inclined to think they are more equally dispersed.

Math can do wonders. There are only about 3000-3500 people who score above a 230 on the exam, out of 16000 again. Kind of hard to believe that is the average based on that.

Jalby said:
Math can do wonders. There are only about 3000-3500 people who score above a 230 on the exam, out of 16000 again. Kind of hard to believe that is the average based on that.

I was thinking... I'm sure the students find out these stats from the administration and the administration at LLU would be the LAST to lie about anything really... Maybe Falconer can help me out here?

Just like the 17% of the people being in the top 99 percentile???

Why don't you e-mail the admissions office and ask them. You are accepted now after all.