Longevity Of ER Doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benyjets23

Adventuring MD Wannabe
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was curious if ER doctors have longevity on their side OR is it an age immune branch of medicine. As I am 27, and tossing the idea of a medical career in my head, The idea of working past 65, or even past 70 to get a solid 30 - 35 year career under my belt is important for me (I could also finish my career with a few good years as a cruise ship doctor, Imagine that residency). That being said, my desire to live the proverbial "lonely planet" life style (Living far beneath my means), at any pay may give me an advantage over many people working longer

From an ignorant outsider's point of view, it seems ER doctors would be harder to maintain for the long run, where as FM doctors seems easier to maintain.

Ben

Members don't see this ad.

It is quite rare to find any docs practicing full time clinicaly at 65 or 70 these days regardless of the specialty. Everyone is busy. I'd rather have a busy 8 hour shift and go home and have a beer and bounce my kid on my knee anyday than have 10 hours of clinic time with 4 pts an hour scheduled then have to take call & work the next day.

This sort of question has been posted on this forum several times. If you search them, you will find quite a few people support the idea that EM can be done for as long as any other specialty. BKN may post shortly about his career and how he is in his 50's (?) and still kickin' around. Either way, give the search function a little action and you may get your answer. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
benyjets23 said:
Hey,

I was curious if ER doctors have longevity on their side OR is it an age immune branch of medicine. As I am 27, and tossing the idea of a medical career in my head, The idea of working past 65, or even past 70 to get a solid 30 - 35 year career under my belt is important for me (I could also finish my career with a few good years as a cruise ship doctor, Imagine that residency). That being said, my desire to live the proverbial "lonely planet" life style (Living far beneath my means), at any pay may give me an advantage over many people working longer

From an ignorant outsider's point of view, it seems ER doctors would be harder to maintain for the long run, where as FM doctors seems easier to maintain.

Ben

No one really knows the answer to your question yet. The first boarded EM docs who completed an EM residency aren't even 60 years old yet! As BKN talks about he's one of the first and he's only in his fifties.

Most of the "burnout" in EM is a carry over from the days when anybody with an MD (peds, derm, rads, surgery) could work in just about any ER when they got tired of doing their specialty and quickly grew to hate the ER (as they weren't trained it it).

later