Looking for a new job while employed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathslides

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently employed at a good job but pretty far from family. In about a year or so the geographic location where my family is will have a few places looking for pathologists. How do people go about looking for new jobs without having their current employer know? If the new places don't pan out I would want to stay where I am. What do you do about reference request and such (mainly since this is my first job out of fellowship)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Network with the groups in the area you want to be in.

Informally say you may be available in a certain time frame to the head of the group to keep the option open in case they have an opening. You never know when a group will have an unexpected opening.

Review your contract about stuff like non-compete (I don't think enforceable personally) and if you have a 90 or 60 day clause for notification without cause or what not. Also, may want to look into the particulars about tail coverage for malpractice, that may be an uncomfortable point and costly.

If not in a state you have a license in, get that state license.

Do your current job above expectations and don't do anything dumb to go to peer review etc. (seems silly but I've seen it deep six future employment). I don't think your current employer would like you looking around and staying because there was nothing better, may want to keep mum until the time comes to notify them (see your contract).

Reactions: 1 user