MD & DO Looking for advice. sGPA:3.3, cGPA:3.45, MCAT: 30

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phalangicles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeking advice for next cycle application. What can I work on to improve my chances of acceptance into MD or DO school? I am considering mainly applying DO due to my low GPA. However, there is a nice upper trend from 1st-4th year though! Is MD application even worth an attempt?

CA resident, completed undergraduate BS at a top 50 school with sGPA: 3.3, cGPA: 3.45, MCAT: 30(10/10/10)
- LORs are solid
- ~3000+ hours EMT experience
- ~300+ hours hospital volunteer w/ direct patient interaction
- President of a multicultural club with lots of event planning involved (philanthropies, fundraisers, etc.)
- ~50+ hours volunteering at a clinic
- ~20 hours shadowing MD/DO
- 0.000 hours of research

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Seeking advice for next cycle application. What can I work on to improve my chances of acceptance into MD or DO school? I am considering mainly applying DO due to my low GPA. However, there is a nice upper trend from 1st-4th year though! Is MD application even worth an attempt?

CA resident, completed undergraduate BS at a top 50 school with sGPA: 3.3, cGPA: 3.45, MCAT: 30(10/10/10)
- LORs are solid
- ~3000+ hours EMT experience
- ~300+ hours hospital volunteer w/ direct patient interaction
- President of a multicultral club with lots of event planning involved (philanthropies, fundraisers, etc.)
- ~50+ hours volunteering at a clinic
- ~20 hours shadowing MD/DO
- 0.000 hours of research

Thank you for your help!
Most CA applicants have to leave CA to go to medical school.
There may be some OOS MD schools that might interview you but your best bet will be DO.

As sad as it makes me feel about leaving CA, it is a fact that I have come to peace with :) Thank you for your insight. Due to the high chance of ending up in another state, how have people prepared for the inevitable question of "why our school/why our city/why our community?
They know the real answer: "I want to be a physician (and I'm from California)."
You answer with the strength that each school is proud of.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of today, my prospective list includes the following:
1. Western Pomona
2. Touro CA
3. Touro NV
4. ATSU-SOMA
5. Midwestern AZCOM
6. ATSU-Kirksville
7. Pacific Northwest University
8. Des Moines University
9. University of New England COM
10. Michigan State University COM

Are there any foreseeable issues in my list for DO schools in relation to my statistics? My MCAT is a good 2-3 points above the typical mean for these schools, however I can't help but feel that my CA state residency and lower sGPA may become an issue at some of these institutions.

Did you calculate your sGPA using AACOMAS guidelines? Some people find that their AACOMAS sGPA may be slightly higher for a variety of reasons:

1) If you retake a class they will consider the new one over the old one. The AMCAS averages them.
2) AMCAS uses BCPM, which is biology, chemistry, physics and math. For AACOMAS, math isn't a part of your sGPA for DO school applications.
3) Certain subjects that AMCAS excludes, e.g. geology, meterology, oceanography, etc. - count towards your sGPA for AACOMAS.

Regardless, your GPA is within the range of admits, and like you mentioned, your MCAT is 2-3 points above the mean which will give you the competitive edge you need. Combine that with some diverse and meaningful EC's, you'll have a solid shot at these schools. I'd consider adding Nova, PCOM, CCOM, and/or KCUMB if those programs interest you.

I'm in the same boat as you. CA is the largest exporter of med students. Relocation is inevitable. Winter is coming...

Your stats are very close to mine. I'm doing a near identical list to yours except I'm adding MUCOM as well. Goro seems to like it and I'm fine taking his advice.

Reactions: 1 user