Looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onlyangel

Reaction score
Panicking a lot … I want to apply in May for the next med school cycle. I graduated college this past May with an undergraduate GPA of a 3.0 and a science gpa of a 2.9. I originally went to a different college and got my associates with a 3.6 gpa. After two years, I transferred to a university during covid. My first semester at the new university did not go well as I ended the semester with a 2.5 gpa. Afterwards, I worked hard to get my gpa up and had to end up staying an extra year which really helped me a lot. Got a few C’s in intro science classes, mainly in Biology, withdrew from one class, ended up with a C - in Orgo, but really did well in upper level science classes. I have a few letters of recommendation from professors and physicians. As for extracurricular activities, I currently work as a medical assistant at a medical practice for the past three years and am volunteering at a local hospital near me, which I also did as an undergrad. I am also in the midst of writing up my research paper that has the opportunity to get published in a journal. I took my mcat in September, ended up bombing it- got a 479 score and I am planning on retaking it in the springtime. In addition to working and studying for the mcat, I am also taking anatomy and physiology as a way to improve my gpa. Basically, I have no idea if I am going to get accepted into any MD or let alone DO schools in the country and I have no idea whether what I am currently doing now is going to end up helping me in med school apps so I would appreciate some advice

Members don't see this ad.

Working full time and taking classes, I don’t think you will have adequate time to study for the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to increase your sGPA to 3.0 so take whatever number of science courses to do so. Do not retake the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently over 500.

Reactions: 1 users
Panicking a lot … I want to apply in May for the next med school cycle. I graduated college this past May with an undergraduate GPA of a 3.0 and a science gpa of a 2.9. I originally went to a different college and got my associates with a 3.6 gpa. After two years, I transferred to a university during covid. My first semester at the new university did not go well as I ended the semester with a 2.5 gpa. Afterwards, I worked hard to get my gpa up and had to end up staying an extra year which really helped me a lot. Got a few C’s in intro science classes, mainly in Biology, withdrew from one class, ended up with a C - in Orgo, but really did well in upper level science classes. I have a few letters of recommendation from professors and physicians. As for extracurricular activities, I currently work as a medical assistant at a medical practice for the past three years and am volunteering at a local hospital near me, which I also did as an undergrad. I am also in the midst of writing up my research paper that has the opportunity to get published in a journal. I took my mcat in September, ended up bombing it- got a 479 score and I am planning on retaking it in the springtime. In addition to working and studying for the mcat, I am also taking anatomy and physiology as a way to improve my gpa. Basically, I have no idea if I am going to get accepted into any MD or let alone DO schools in the country and I have no idea whether what I am currently doing now is going to end up helping me in med school apps so I would appreciate some advice
Have you considered a post-bac program?

Reactions: 1 user
That GPA is probably lethal. I'm not really sure how repair works or if that's even an option, but the SDN gods who came before me do:

And of course the people in this thread other than me know stuff

Reactions: 1 users