WAMC 3.53/503 Looking for advice on my path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saguti12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm getting ready to graduate from my college this upcoming spring and was hoping for some advice on where to apply and my chances in general. I only need to take 5 science credits to graduate so my GPA is pretty set in at this point. I've never really had a preference between MD or DO, I just want to be able to serve patients as best I can

GPA = 3.53c, 3.36sgpa
MCAT
= 503, (122/129/124/128). I was debating retaking this to fix my chem section but my free study prep materials are due back by the first week of January. They wouldn't grant an extension and I cant afford to pay the $2,000 late fee. I'm hoping against hope that the 122 doesn't invalidate everything else i've done.

I'm an URM (Black/Mixed man) studying at Arizona State's honors college.

Activities:
Clinical:

I worked around 400 hours as a medical screener for a plasma center. This involved taking vitals, running basic blood tests, and making judgement calls on whether a patient was fit to donate.
Research:
I spent a semester assisting my BIO professor with his Bee lab. This didn't result in a publication but was still an opportunity for general field work which was good for applying scientific principles in a real world setting.
I've spent the past year co-authoring a thesis, we performed a content analysis of medical curriculums' education on the impacts of a warming climate as it relates to patient health. It's published in my universities thesis database, honestly i'm not quite sure if this counts as "published".
Volunteering:
During the COVID pandemic I volunteered as a contact tracer with the local health department, 100-150 hours.
30-50 hours volunteering at a COVID vaccine administration site.
I've spent 4 years as part of a community service club on campus. We help set up university events, run charity drives, and organize other charitable activities for the local community. I have no idea how many hours i've spent with them as they've never been consistent about taking attendance and I never mentally registered that it might be wise to keep an hours log.
Leadership:
I spent a year and a half as a mentor for incoming freshman at the honors college. I was responsible for holding monthly events, sending weekly emails, and being available 24/7 for a group of 15-25 students.
Spent a semester as an undergrad TA for a General Biology course
I was fortunate to be able to volunteer as an English tutor for a refugee program during my freshman year. I was paired with one refugee and was tasked with helping him learn to read and enunciate english articles such as news reports or books. It's been 5 years and (my regrettable freshman brain) didn't keep a log but my best conservative estimate would be 30-50 hours.
(Helping others learn has always been a personal passion of mine)

LORS:
1 science professor who's known me for 5 years now
2 natural science professors from my thesis team
A high ranking administrator at my honors college who taught me in the mentorship program
1 History professor from this semester
I also have a standing offer from my old manager at the plasma center, would this be helpful?

I plan on shadowing and volunteering in a local hospital this upcoming Spring now that my thesis and MCAT are done and I can breathe.

Extra Info (I'm not sure if any of this is pertinent but I leave it to your wise judgement):
My GPA trend is up and down. I finished my first 5 semesters with a 3.79. My next 3 semesters were a 3.2, 3.1, and 3.15 respectively. I make no excuse for this, it's something I have to live with and i'd be lying if i said it didn't weigh on me every day. It was a combination of losing my grandmother who basically helped raise me in a sudden and avoidable tragedy (I was told a few minutes prior to the start of a test so I wasn't mentally there and failed it), overconfidently taking a year of anatomy in one semester (anatomy 1 + AN/PHYS), and my hearing getting worse suddenly. This past semester i've bounced back somewhat finishing with a 3.47. So I don't think I have a trend, or if I do it's down and then slightly up?

I am disabled with a hearing impairment. I am capable of somewhat passing as non-disabled if necessary. I've had people tell me that I should mention this because it's a part of who I am but one of my doctor's warned me not to because he fears some schools might discriminate against me. What do you suggest I do?

Target schools:

All in state (AZ) schools MD and DO
Burrell NM
ARCOM
LECOM
PCOM Georgia and PCOM South Georgia

I'm unsure if I'm competitive for HBCU's like Howard, Brown, and Morehouse

I'm hoping to apply extremely widely within reason so any help or school suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also please provide input on if I should apply to DO and/or MD.

Thank you for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

What had your prehealth advising office told you?
I was told that I’m extremely competitive for DO schools and that if I was set on MD I should retake the MCAT. I just would like more opinions since I’m aware prehealth advisors sometimes either overstate or understate a candidates chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for some MD schools and most DO schools. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Creighton
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Drexel
Temple
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
AZCOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
ACOM
NYIT-AR
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
WVSOM
WCU-COM

You are competitive for some MD schools and most DO schools. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Creighton
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Drexel
Temple
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
AZCOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
ACOM
NYIT-AR
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
WVSOM
WCU-COM
Thank you @Faha I’ll be sure to add these schools to my list and do more research on them. Can I ask you 2 more questions?

1) Outside of shadowing and clinical volunteering do you see any other missing/weak EC’s in my app?
2) What would be your recommendation regarding sharing my disability? I ask because the only doctor I’m close with was highly insistent that some schools might (unofficially of course) hold it against me.

I agree with Faha, but can't recommend SOMA.

Add U Miami, Western, TUCOM-CA and DMU
Thank you so much for your input! Judging by both the responses I’ve gotten so far it seems I might’ve been underestimating the number of schools I have a chance at. I really appreciate the help!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you @Faha I’ll be sure to add these schools to my list and do more research on them. Can I ask you 2 more questions?

1) Outside of shadowing and clinical volunteering do you see any other missing/weak EC’s in my app?
2) What would be your recommendation regarding sharing my disability? I ask because the only doctor I’m close with was highly insistent that some schools might (unofficially of course) hold it against me.
You should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including primary care and DO). 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering such as food bank, homeless shelter, etc. would be helpful. You do not need to mention your disability when applying but it may be something to discuss in your interviews. Also follow the ASU application for their new medical school. They may be accepting applications during your cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I'm getting ready to graduate from my college this upcoming spring and was hoping for some advice on where to apply and my chances in general. I only need to take 5 science credits to graduate so my GPA is pretty set in at this point. I've never really had a preference between MD or DO, I just want to be able to serve patients as best I can

GPA = 3.53c, 3.36sgpa
MCAT
= 503, (122/129/124/128). I was debating retaking this to fix my chem section but my free study prep materials are due back by the first week of January. They wouldn't grant an extension and I cant afford to pay the $2,000 late fee. I'm hoping against hope that the 122 doesn't invalidate everything else i've done.

I'm an URM (Black/Mixed man) studying at Arizona State's honors college.

Activities:
Clinical:
I worked around 400 hours as a medical screener for a plasma center. This involved taking vitals, running basic blood tests, and making judgement calls on whether a patient was fit to donate.
Research:
I spent a semester assisting my BIO professor with his Bee lab. This didn't result in a publication but was still an opportunity for general field work which was good for applying scientific principles in a real world setting.
I've spent the past year co-authoring a thesis, we performed a content analysis of medical curriculums' education on the impacts of a warming climate as it relates to patient health. It's published in my universities thesis database, honestly i'm not quite sure if this counts as "published".
Volunteering:
During the COVID pandemic I volunteered as a contact tracer with the local health department, 100-150 hours.
30-50 hours volunteering at a COVID vaccine administration site.
I've spent 4 years as part of a community service club on campus. We help set up university events, run charity drives, and organize other charitable activities for the local community. I have no idea how many hours i've spent with them as they've never been consistent about taking attendance and I never mentally registered that it might be wise to keep an hours log.
Leadership:
I spent a year and a half as a mentor for incoming freshman at the honors college. I was responsible for holding monthly events, sending weekly emails, and being available 24/7 for a group of 15-25 students.
Spent a semester as an undergrad TA for a General Biology course
I was fortunate to be able to volunteer as an English tutor for a refugee program during my freshman year. I was paired with one refugee and was tasked with helping him learn to read and enunciate english articles such as news reports or books. It's been 5 years and (my regrettable freshman brain) didn't keep a log but my best conservative estimate would be 30-50 hours.
(Helping others learn has always been a personal passion of mine)

LORS:
1 science professor who's known me for 5 years now
2 natural science professors from my thesis team
A high ranking administrator at my honors college who taught me in the mentorship program
1 History professor from this semester
I also have a standing offer from my old manager at the plasma center, would this be helpful?

I plan on shadowing and volunteering in a local hospital this upcoming Spring now that my thesis and MCAT are done and I can breathe.

Extra Info (I'm not sure if any of this is pertinent but I leave it to your wise judgement):
My GPA trend is up and down. I finished my first 5 semesters with a 3.79. My next 3 semesters were a 3.2, 3.1, and 3.15 respectively. I make no excuse for this, it's something I have to live with and i'd be lying if i said it didn't weigh on me every day. It was a combination of losing my grandmother who basically helped raise me in a sudden and avoidable tragedy (I was told a few minutes prior to the start of a test so I wasn't mentally there and failed it), overconfidently taking a year of anatomy in one semester (anatomy 1 + AN/PHYS), and my hearing getting worse suddenly. This past semester i've bounced back somewhat finishing with a 3.47. So I don't think I have a trend, or if I do it's down and then slightly up?

I am disabled with a hearing impairment. I am capable of somewhat passing as non-disabled if necessary. I've had people tell me that I should mention this because it's a part of who I am but one of my doctor's warned me not to because he fears some schools might discriminate against me. What do you suggest I do?

Target schools:

All in state (AZ) schools MD and DO
Burrell NM
ARCOM
LECOM
PCOM Georgia and PCOM South Georgia

I'm unsure if I'm competitive for HBCU's like Howard, Brown, and Morehouse

I'm hoping to apply extremely widely within reason so any help or school suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also please provide input on if I should apply to DO and/or MD.

Thank you for all your help!
Have you taken the discounted Princeton Review MCAT prep class offered through ASU pre-health advising? I tried to self study with the free Princeton resources and finally just took the course and scored 515+. I recommended the course to one of my ASU friends who had two previous scores of 500 and 505. He took the course, scored a 515 and is now at UA SOM.

If you have or qualify for the fee assistance program, Kaplan courses are also discounted!

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 4.28.05 PM.png

You are not required to disclose it but you need to consider documenting it should you need accommodations at any point. This may be important with virtual interviews and the SJTs in the admissions process.

If it has impacted you, you can consider how to bring it up on an application (Other Impactful Experience, contributing to diverse learning community), but I would get as much help as I could while prewriting. There is an emphasis on communication in meded.

In Becoming a Student Doctor, we discuss communication disabilities as part of the Academic Competencies topic.

Last edited:
You should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including primary care and DO). 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering such as food bank, homeless shelter, etc. would be helpful. You do not need to mention your disability when applying but it may be something to discuss in your interviews. Also follow the ASU application for their new medical school. They may be accepting applications during your cycle.
Ok thank you for all of these helpful recommendations! I’ll be sure to get that shadowing done and I already have a volunteer place in mind, there’s a local food packing organization that does good work. Yeah I think I’ll mention my hearing during an interview. I want whatever school I get into to believe in me, knowing exactly who I am.

Have you taken the discounted Princeton Review MCAT prep class offered through ASU pre-health advising? I tried to self study with the free Princeton resources and finally just took the course and scored 515+. I recommended the course to one of my ASU friends who had two previous scores of 500 and 505. He took the course, scored a 515 and is now at UA SOM.

I noticed that was an option but wasn’t super eager to spend $2000 to improve a retake if I had any chance of getting into either MD/DO. My prehealth advisor said I was competitive for DO’s but MD’s were out of range.

I’m so pleasantly surprised that Goro and Faha said I’m more competitive than I had thought! Honestly, knowing that I think I’ll try to get in with my current score but thank you for the advice.

If you have or qualify for the fee assistance program, Kaplan courses are also discounted!

View attachment 379730

That seems like a really helpful program for people struggling to pay for all of the steps in this process! I wish I had known about this sooner, I’m sure it would have been helpful. Honestly, when I made this post I was getting in my head about my chances and apparently I was being a bit too down on myself. Since Goro and Faha think I’m competitive for MD’s (definitely a pleasant surprise) and DO’s, I think I’ll try my luck with my current score. I’ll still apply for it to help with application fees though so thank you for sharing.

You are not required to disclose it but you need to consider documenting it should you need accommodations at any point. This may be important with virtual interviews and the SJTs in the admissions process.

If it has impacted you, you can consider how to bring it up on an application (Other Impactful Experience, contributing to diverse learning community), but I would get as much help as I could while prewriting. There is an emphasis on communication in meded.

In Becoming a Student Doctor, we discuss communication disabilities as part of the Academic Competencies topic.

Thank you for the helpful advice @Mr.Smile12. Yeah I definitely think that it’s something I should at least mention during interviews. I’m confident I’ll meet all academic competencies though. The average person never guesses I’m hearing impaired because my disability is unnoticeable when I speak. My hearing is fine for most day to day interactions. The big downside is that I struggled with hearing professors in large lecture halls/auditoriums.

Thank you for the helpful advice @Mr.Smile12. Yeah I definitely think that it’s something I should at least mention during interviews. I’m confident I’ll meet all academic competencies though. The average person never guesses I’m hearing impaired because my disability is unnoticeable when I speak. My hearing is fine for most day to day interactions. The big downside is that I struggled with hearing professors in large lecture halls/auditoriums.
Just be aware that interviews are not all going to be one-on-one. Some schools will have a panel interview format (2 or 3 interviewers asking you questions) while others will do collaborative or group interviews (1 or 2 evaluators with a handful of candidates). You will also be expected to participate in non-evaluative programs like meet and greets and perhaps answer video-based SJT/behavioral questions. Take the time to know how each school wants you to disclose this information privately/confidentially should you get an interview invitation.

Just be aware that interviews are not all going to be one-on-one. Some schools will have a panel interview format (2 or 3 interviewers asking you questions) while others will do collaborative or group interviews (1 or 2 evaluators with a handful of candidates). You will also be expected to participate in non-evaluative programs like meet and greets and perhaps answer video-based SJT/behavioral questions. Take the time to know how each school wants you to disclose this information privately/confidentially should you get an interview invitation.
I didn’t know interview formats could vary so wildly! This is definitely something I need to remember and look into as I’m applying this upcoming spring. I really appreciate the help especially since this is a sensitive/personal topic @Mr.Smile12