Looking for Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erinhachez0

Reaction score
Hello, I have been lurking on some of the other posts for quite some time and was hoping to get some advice.

A little bit about me is that I have been in school for quite some time and for a while did not know what I wanted to pursue so my GPA took quite a hit and is now at a cumulative GPA of 2.788 with a few science classes. I did have to withdraw from this semester due to family circumstances but am planning on returning in the summer semester at my local university. I have been looking at a few options but was not sure what is the best since I do not yet have a bachelor's degree. I have looked into finishing with a Psychology degree and then going back for the prerequisites and some higher-level science courses to recover from the previous GPA. I have also looked at going through a noncomprehensive biology degree but am unsure which would be better suited for. Both programs do average the same amount of time to complete them.

I have been nearing about 2000+ clinical hours and will likely get more as I am about to start a full-time medical scribe position at a local clinic. I am kind of lost as where to begin right now and up for any suggestions and am not concerned on time length wise.

Members don't see this ad.

How many credits went into that GPA and how many more to finish with a degree?
I was a transfer student so about 90-100 credits, most of mine did not transfer. Psychology degree I would finish in about 39 credits. If I went that route, I would spend another 30-40 credits on science prereq's but didn't know if it was better to just do a science major since all my general courses are done.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's looking like you're not going to get much repair on that GPA in that case.

I'll let others chime in, but that's a huge reach for MD schools (even state schools). I'm not sure about DO, but I think it's pretty low for that as well.

You have several things to consider. I think finishing up and getting an MCAT score is a good place to start. A great MCAT score won't make up for your GPA, but it could help you decide what your next step may be.

Agree with Dral.

I think your GPA is going to create a challenge for your application. Do you have premed advisor? They may be able to provide some guidance and options to support your goal. Additionally, they may have access to local resources to assist you with this goal as well.

Thanks.

Wook

A sustained period of academic excellence in the sciences and a strong MCAT for your state would go a long way toward convincing us that you have the academic chops for this journey. Even if this "new you" starts now, it will take at least two to three years before you are ready for an AMCAS application. Do not take the MCAT until you are confident (using AAMC FL's) that you will get a score consistent with success.

All of your grades (including transfer) will be included in your AMCAS gpa.
Use a grade calculator to determine how your grades will be presented in your application.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
A sustained period of academic excellence in the sciences and a strong MCAT for your state would go a long way toward convincing us that you have the academic chops for this journey. Even if this this "new you" starts now, it will take at least two to three years before you are ready for an AMCAS application. Do not take the MCAT until you are confident (using AAMC FL's) that you will get a score consistent with success.

Excellent point. I was thinking only of the immediate application.

Wook

Reactions: 1 users
Also during this time you're working on your academic preparations, keep up with the other things you need to fill out your app. Clinical and non-clinical volunteering, clinical work, shadowing, research, hobbies, etc.

Don't sacrifice your grades for those things though. Due to your GPA, getting a good educational base and getting strong objective grades/scores are of utmost importance from here on out.

Reactions: 1 user
to reiterate what @gyngyn said, your gpa calcs are going to be for every class you’ve taken not just what transferred

how did you do specifically in your science coursework?

it would be helpful if you can find gpa calculators spreadsheets around here and give us an updated gpas for all classes together and just science class and how many credits you’ve completed for those groups.

for degree, what are you interested in that you feel you could be successful in the courses that would also give you a leg up for whatever jobs you might want to do if you don’t get i to medical school or have to delay. i mean you can do a business or computer sci degree plus premed prereqs if you wanted, just not efficient or sometimes cost effective to go that route but does give you a safety net.

also if your user name is your real name, you might want to consider changing it to be more anonymous. most people find they wish they hadn’t used their real name on here to maintain some privacy when they apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I have been lurking on some of the other posts for quite some time and was hoping to get some advice.

A little bit about me is that I have been in school for quite some time and for a while did not know what I wanted to pursue so my GPA took quite a hit and is now at a cumulative GPA of 2.788 with a few science classes. I did have to withdraw from this semester due to family circumstances but am planning on returning in the summer semester at my local university. I have been looking at a few options but was not sure what is the best since I do not yet have a bachelor's degree. I have looked into finishing with a Psychology degree and then going back for the prerequisites and some higher-level science courses to recover from the previous GPA. I have also looked at going through a noncomprehensive biology degree but am unsure which would be better suited for. Both programs do average the same amount of time to complete them.

I have been nearing about 2000+ clinical hours and will likely get more as I am about to start a full-time medical scribe position at a local clinic. I am kind of lost as where to begin right now and up for any suggestions and am not concerned on time length wise.
Read this: