Looking for help and guidance for my pre med path...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holisticmind

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Hope you all are good.

So I am an international non traditional premed student. I am 41, Indian, mother of a 9 years old, never been to US before, engineering background with a PG diploma in marketing management, worked for corporate mainly IT for 8 years as Business Development Manager, Handled a team, did 4 online prerequisites from UC San Diego Extension. Currently, shadowing a rheumatologist in a reputed hospital chain in India from last 6 months.

So it was a brief about me. Now I want to pursue a degree from the USA before I go to med school there. Confused about Post Bacc and Bio major undergrad as post Bacc is not available on F1 Visa. I need your honest opinion and help for knowing the following things:

1. Do you think with all these odds, do I stand a chance for getting into a med school in the USA? (Do or MD)
2. What can I do to make my profile desirable or catchy?
3. Pls suggest some good undergrad programs with good acceptance rate but not too pricey or fancy like IVY League. While googling I only see Harvard, Yale, John Hopkins etc.
4. I heard that majority of the USA med school don't accept International students and for me, I am non traditional as well. Is that true?
5. Can I finish undergrad program on a fast track in the USA?
6. Any suggestions for a scholarship or loan for my kind of students?

I would be highly grateful if you can help me in this regard.
Best,
Swana Singh
India

Members don't see this ad.

4. There are now 44 (of 156) US MD schools that consider international applicants. Many of these schools matriculate only a very few. There are about 20 DO schools that consider internationals
6. Domestic students fund their education with federal loans. These are not available to international applicants. There is often a requirement that accepted international students give evidence of an escrow account with a sufficient sum to cover cost of attendance for some time period.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users