Looking for insight on a tricky situation w/ LoRs (Adcoms please..)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mcat513

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's out of your hands now; no sense in worrying about it. If this cycle doesn't work out for you then perhaps think about replacing that letter the next go around. It's likely you're reading into this too much.

Just looking at this from a humanistic perspective, no adcom experience here, it would be fairly damning. I do a fair amount of interviewing with my manager, and it's not too uncommon where someone gives us a reference who gives them a neutral or mediocre review. If someone is tasked with finding just 3-4 people in their life who will vouch for them, and they cannot do that, it looks fairly poor on their part. We always have to think more critically about their application and candidacy because it says something when a person can't find a few people to support them. That said, it would really depend on what was written. If it's just a generic, neutral letter, I'm sure adcoms are more than used to students getting LORs written from professors who are frankly tired and uninterested in writing them. If she writes that you display poor ethics, slacked off in class, etc., that would probably be something else.

Like everyone else said, though, it's out of your hands and done with. Little sense in sitting around thinking about it now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't sugar coat this, if she wrote a bad LOR, it will sink your app.

Looking for insight:

Is it possible that one of my LoR writers could have tossed in negative statements that lack substance? I ask this because although one of my physics professors originally seemed enthusiastic about writing my LoR, she quickly became very insincere in her communication with me before submitting it. There is absolutely nothing I can think of that would warrant any negativity in her letter, but her behavior was pretty disconcerting. I have a creeping suspicion that she did, but, unfortunately, I already assigned her letter to all the schools I applied to.

Here's the twist -- she previously displayed what I believed to be interest in me. I did not reciprocate. Her attitude took a turn for the worse after running into my girlfriend and I at a local cafe. It was around this time that her communication with me changed drastically. From very formal, to very insincere and juvenile.

In the case that she did write something negative in my letter, is it possible that the effect of it will be offset by other glowing LoRs in my dossier? How do adcoms approach situations like this?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

@gyngyn @Goro @LizzyM @gonnif

Reactions: 1 user