Looking for the first job in oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icecoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m a medical oncology fellow in Canada who is finishing next year. Mainly looking for private practice jobs. No visa required.

I’m hoping to get some advice to see where do oncology fellows in US look for private practice jobs? Is it mainly word of mouth, recruiter, online (if so any good site to recommend)?
So far, I’ve been looking at ASCO and NEJM career and pretty much applying kinda blindly and feeling a little lost.

Thank for your advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Pick a location or 3 you'd like to live/work in.
2. Google "oncology City/Town/Province X"
3. Send your CV and a cover letter asking if they're hiring

All the other ideas are good. Recruiters aren't "evil" per se and from the hiring side of things, they have made my life much easier. Also, you won't have to pay for the recruiter and your salary/compensation won't be any different if you do/n't use one to find a job.

@gutonc thank you for your advice

For US jobs, does it matter to them whether I’m from a Canadian or US fellowship?
I’m wondering if I should do a year of advanced oncology fellowship in US rather than looking for jobs right away.

@gutonc thank you for your advice

For US jobs, does it matter to them whether I’m from a Canadian or US fellowship?
I’m wondering if I should do a year of advanced oncology fellowship in US rather than looking for jobs right away.
Nope.

If you want to do a BMT or Phase I or some other made up fellowship, feel free. But you don't need it to get a job unless you're going for something super-specialized in academics.