LOR from a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldstar97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble finding a physician to write me a strong LOR. I apply in June. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I am having trouble finding a physician to write me a strong LOR. I apply in June. Any advice?

Most schools don't require a physician LOR. In fact several adcoms on here discourage getting them, unless the school explicitly requires one.

Edit* check the requirements for each of your schools, D.O. schools often want letters from physicians, often other D.O.s

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They uniformly have only nice things to say. They're mostly fluff, like "GhostDoctor shadowed me over a week and asked very good questions. I think s/he'll make a fine doctor.

However, the moderator was referring to MD schools. Most DO schools require a LOR form a clinician; some require that it be from a DO.

OP, what about your family doctor?

Why would an adcom discourage a LOR from a physician?

Reactions: 1 user
They uniformly have only nice things to say. They're mostly fluff, like "GhostDoctor shadowed me over a week and asked very good questions. I think s/he'll make a fine doctor.

However, the moderator was referring to MD schools. Most DO schools require a LOR form a clinician; some require that it be from a DO.

Wouldn't a LOR from a teacher be the same thing? They will only say nice things also.

I know that a bad LOR can tank an application, but does/has a wonderful one ever saved someone on the borderline case?