Gathering LoR timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Looking at gathering LoR since the university I attend doesn’t do a committee letter and had some questions:

1. What is the ideal timeframe to start collecting LoR? I am looking to apply for the ‘25-‘26 cycle, would it be too far out to start gathering now and storing them in Interfolio?

2. Speaking of Interfolio, any feedback on how it is/is it worth using? Have some folks in mind and want their LoR on official letterhead while they’re still in their current positions.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure how it works with years before, maybe someone with experience there can chime in and help. I reached out to all my professors that I wanted to use for LoR's at the end of the fall semester, then they wrote it in march-april timeframe and uploaded to interfolio in time for me to submit day 1 when AMCAS opened. The ideal timelineto ask is just whenever you think you professor will 1-actually do it and 2- in time to submit early if that's your intent. I go to a bigger school so I aimed to ask pretty early because those professors get dozens of requests for letters. Unless you go to a smaller school, imo asking for a turnaround <4-5 months is asking for trouble and placing a lot of stress on a part of the process that can be relatively stress-free. One of my letter writers told me she only writes up to 10 a year to make sure she's not cranking out a bunch of mediocre letters, so you've gotta be ahead of that possibility.

Interfolio is fine, it performs a fairly simple function well so I don't really have any complaints with it.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure how it works with years before, maybe someone with experience there can chime in and help. I reached out to all my professors that I wanted to use for LoR's at the end of the fall semester, then they wrote it in march-april timeframe and uploaded to interfolio in time for me to submit day 1 when AMCAS opened. The ideal timelineto ask is just whenever you think you professor will 1-actually do it and 2- in time to submit early if that's your intent. I go to a bigger school so I aimed to ask pretty early because those professors get dozens of requests for letters. Unless you go to a smaller school, imo asking for a turnaround <4-5 months is asking for trouble and placing a lot of stress on a part of the process that can be relatively stress-free. One of my letter writers told me she only writes up to 10 a year to make sure she's not cranking out a bunch of mediocre letters, so you've gotta be ahead of that possibility.

Interfolio is fine, it performs a fairly simple function well so I don't really have any complaints with it.
Yeah the plan is definitely applying relatively early on in the cycle.

My biggest concern was if I have letters from over a year ago, I’m not sure if there is a recency bias from adcoms but I would want the letter as soon after my classes as possible so those letter writers remember me in the greatest detail possible. Makes sense in my head at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah the plan is definitely applying relatively early on in the cycle.

My biggest concern was if I have letters from over a year ago, I’m not sure if there is a recency bias from adcoms but I would want the letter as soon after my classes as possible so those letter writers remember me in the greatest detail possible. Makes sense in my head at least.
I would go with this. However, if you have continued interaction with a letter writer (such as one with whom you are doing research), wait a bit longer.

Reactions: 1 users