LOR from prof. necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

santoukie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey quick question,

I've been out of school for a while. I have two LOR from 2-3 professors, but they are about 3-4 years old. Do I need to get LOR from professors? I've been working at jobs for the last couple years, and am planning on getting letters from employers/community service supervisors.

I don't know if the professors will remember me, since I have not kept in contact with them...

Does anyone know solid information on this topic?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Check any school's application requirements by going to the school's website or the MSAR. Every last one of them will require a LOR from a science professor. Those who let nontrads provide non-professorial letters really do prefer that at least one of your letters come from science faculty. I chose schools that I would apply to based on who would accept letters from an employer/community service supervisor, but even when I would look at the secondary, the application was geared towards having both of your letters being from faculty (at least one from science faculty). Med schools need to assess your ability to do the work (science), and who can better judge that than a professor who taught you in the sciences?

I was out of school for 4 years before I decided to apply, so what I did was I researched LOR questionnaires on the web, filled some out, got my personal statement, resume, and anything else that would help an old science professor write me a stronger letter of recommendation. Then I contacted some professors that I had had (and mind you, they couldn't really remember me or what I did), and asked them if they could write me a letter. They were extremely nice about it, and what made it easier for them to write those letters for me was the fact that I had prepared them by giving them what I had done in school (LOR questionnaire) in addition to what I had been doing since (resume, PS).

Perhaps you could contact those same professors who already wrote you letters, give them some information about what you've been doing with yourself since you last saw them, and ask if they might be able to update the letter they wrote for you back then. Lots of professors keep these letters in their archives (hopefully yours did, too).

Good luck!:luck:

It'll vary school to school, but when I applied most of the schools I applied to wanted 2 from science professors. I got around it by getting a committee letter from my ugrad (from 11 years before I applied), but even then my committee required at least one of my LORs be from a recent science prof.

If your coursework is pushing 5YO by the time you apply, you may consider taking one science course to get a LOR from a recent prof. Combined with an old letter I think most schools would be ok with that.

But again alot of this will vary school to school, and it'd probably be worth your while to call the schools you'll be applying to see what their take on it is. Alot of schools may be fine taking your old LORs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah,
it's just I really had two - three strong letters from professors I did research with 4+ years ago. However, I figure if schools are fine with older letters, that would be great. Given they might be a more accurate letter then asking for a letter now. I'm applying this cycle...so I don't have much time! haha.

Yeah,
it's just I really had two - three strong letters from professors I did research with 4+ years ago. However, I figure if schools are fine with older letters, that would be great. Given they might be a more accurate letter then asking for a letter now. I'm applying this cycle...so I don't have much time! haha.

While reiterating my advice for you to call the schools you'll be applying to, I have to add that in general when schools say they want LORs from professors they mean professors who taught you not supervisors (work, research, etc.) who happen to be professors.

Yeah,

I don't think they are. A lot of the schools I looked at said they should have been written within the last year.

You're going to have to look into what schools you are specifically interested in applying to and contact them for specifics.

I don't think they are. A lot of the schools I looked at said they should have been written within the last year.

You're going to have to look into what schools you are specifically interested in applying to and contact them for specifics.

Hey Guys thanks so much for the advice. So today I called like 4-5 schools I realistically want to get into. And they had differing requirements. One of them wanted one from the last 1 year. While others said they don't mind those that are older, but as long as they're genuine.

So now I am at a lost. While some schools don't mind my older more genuine letters, the others want letters that are current within the last year.

Maybe a mix of them? Old and New?

Hey I was just wondering if you guys know what defines "science professor." Does this only apply to the basic science classes? I have 2 letters of recommendation from pharmacy school faculty. One taught renal and GI pharmacotherapy and the other taught a basic pharmacology class and advanced toxicology. I also was assigned to each for clinical rotations. Do you think these are acceptable?