LOR Question: Industry PhD Manager vs. Faculty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socialcriticism

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my Sophomore summer, I interned at a biotech firm and received a project where I spent a whole bunch of time and effort; after of which, my manager told me that he would write me a glowing recommendation.

The manager has a PhD and went through all the things to be considered potentially tenure track, but is now, for one reason or another, in the biotech industry. He is, however, still considered an adjunct assistant professor in his previous department.

I also have another science professor who is relatively esteemed at that same university but is considered a tenured professor that can also write me a letter. The thing is, although I did receive A's in both courses offered by him and did a good amount of professor-student communication, there is no guarantee that he'll write me a good letter.

Would a letter from the 1st be better or worse than one from the 2nd?

Also, applying to those that require a larger LOR amount, will a letter from an adjunct assistant professor count as a faculty letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with the letter you know will be excellent. If they have a PhD too, even better. However, these letters aren't really equivalent, as one is (I presume) a science teacher, and one was a manager. You'll need science professor LoR's anyway, so you may want to get both.

Go with the letter you know will be excellent. If they have a PhD too, even better. However, these letters aren't really equivalent, as one is (I presume) a science teacher, and one was a manager. You'll need science professor LoR's anyway, so you may want to get both.

Thanks for the comment. I was wondering, as I believe he has taught in the past, and used to have assistant professor status but is now just adjunct. I was unsure whether or not I could consider adjunct as faculty.

Thanks for the comment. I was wondering, as I believe he has taught in the past, and used to have assistant professor status but is now just adjunct. I was unsure whether or not I could consider adjunct as faculty.
Unfortunately, either way LoR's only count as science class LoR's if they were a professor that taught a class that you took. One of those LoR's would be an EC LoR and the other would be a science class one.

^ What he said, though you may be able to use the manager's letter in place of a non-science letter at some schools. Letter requirements can vary a lot between schools so having both will allow you the most flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way I see it is that he was your boss for the job/internship. It won't be considered as a science LoR unless you got credits for the job.

Talk to the science professor when the time comes and ask "Hey Mr. [X], I'm [name here] from [this class from this year] and I was wondering if you could write me a positive letter of recommendation for medical school." If you did have a good relationship with him/her outside of doing well in the class then he/she wouldn't mind doing this.