LOR Question: struggling with nonscience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KGJDMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know a lot of schools require a nonscience letter of recommendation, the problem is the last time I took a class considered nonscience was Fall 2011. I didn't form any personal relationships with any nonscience professors really, but I reached back to then and asked a professor who agreed. So here is my dilemma/questions:

1. Do many schools not require a nonscience letter? Is there any sort of list for that?

2. He hasn't been responding to my emails lately and I'm worried he's not writing it/ I wont have it in time/ it'll be a ****ty letter. Is there any way I can explain my situation to admissions and get them to make an exception? It's pretty much too late to ask another teacher/ I don't think another instructor would agree...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can explain the situation in any way that won't make you look bad. Thing one, you should get out of the science center more often. Thing two, you should have known you needed (or didn't need) a non-science LOR and you should have been on top of it long ago (at least long enough to have gotten the one you asked for).

Your best bet is to go and find that professor in person and ask for the letter asap....or don't have the letter at all. I don't know how many schools ask for a non-science letter. I thought they all did. Consider asking a science-ish letter: statistics, psychology.

I don't think you can explain the situation in any way that won't make you look bad. Thing one, you should get out of the science center more often. Thing two, you should have known you needed (or didn't need) a non-science LOR and you should have been on top of it long ago (at least long enough to have gotten the one you asked for).

Your best bet is to go and find that professor in person and ask for the letter asap....or don't have the letter at all. I don't know how many schools ask for a non-science letter. I thought they all did. Consider asking a science-ish letter: statistics, psychology.

Well I decided to go pre-med start of my junior year... so that can explain not planning ahead, plus having to take intense science from then until I graduated. I've been trying to get ahold of him/ find him in person, but that's obviously a struggle in the summer...

The only other option that I can think of would be to ask my professor from my class titled "Extraterrestrial Life" which 1. Is under astronomy, so science? 2. Doesn't hold clout for obvious reasons. 3. The class was 100% on science (covered topics in bio, physics, astonomy, ecology, evolution, etc.) But the professor is a really smart guy and got his PhD from Hopkins so maybe that helps.

Not that many schools require non sciences letters. I also don't have one so I had to check with each schools. Out of the 40+ or so med schools I looked at only a few schools required non sciences letters (i.e. Penn state, drexel, indiana, and VCU which is a maybe because they weren't clear on that)