LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazyindy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before and/or this is a dumb question:

If a supervisor, MD, or a teaching faculty agrees to write me a letter of recommendation for medical school can I recycle the recommendations for post-bacc, and summer research programs? I'm confused because the letters will have the words physician and phrases such as "I'd highly recommend lazyindy for medical school". I don't want to ask them over and over again to write letters for various programs because I will be applying to a lot this year and don't want to annoy them.

help me out here.

Members don't see this ad.

Presumably, if your letter writer was willing to put in the time to write you a recommendation, they'll be willing to make small changes to your original letter for your other programs. Most professors I know save the letters they write expressly for this purpose.

If you want to make it easier for your writers, you could also explain that you'll be applying to several different types of programs and ask them to submit a more generic version of the letter with less specific phrasing (i.e. "lazyindy would be an excellent physician" vs "lazyindy would be an excellent candidate for your program") to a LOR services like Interfolio or veCollect. That way, you can securely access those letters whenever you need them for your various deadlines.

Presumably, if your letter writer was willing to put in the time to write you a recommendation, they'll be willing to make small changes to your original letter for your other programs. Most professors I know save the letters they write expressly for this purpose.

If you want to make it easier for your writers, you could also explain that you'll be applying to several different types of programs and ask them to submit a more generic version of the letter with less specific phrasing (i.e. "lazyindy would be an excellent physician" vs "lazyindy would be an excellent candidate for your program") to a LOR services like Interfolio or veCollect. That way, you can securely access those letters whenever you need them for your various deadlines.

thanks! :)