LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laballsummer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When schools say they take a max of 3/4/whatever letters, does that number include the committee letter?

In my case, I have the committee letter (used 2 science profs, one psychology prof), and three additional letters (two from research mentors, one from the head of a local non-profit I've worked with for years). Would this fit into the definition of 4 letters? Or would they count the committee as three, individual letters, bringing my total to six? Also, in general, do y'all think this is overkill? Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Call the individual schools and ask, because each has its own standards. I personally think you don't need multiple letters if you have a few strong ones (though you won't be penalized for it), but take that with a grain of salt. You know what's best for your application.

No, committee letter or composite letter, no matter how many individual letters each may contain. counts as ONE (1) letter. Maximum limits that schools state for individual letters do not apply to letters attached to a committee packet \

Great, thanks! So, just to make sure (pre-med neuroticism kicking in here), given my situation detailed above, my letter total would be 4, correct? @gonnif

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools accept (and prefer) an committee letter and do not want any additional letters.

Thanks for the response. Not sure if this is typical, but the committee letter at my school only contains letters from professors who have taught you a class. Therefore, the voices of my research mentors are not heard, which would posit a problem since research is a large component of my application (published papers, abstracts, posters, awards, etc). How do applicants typically navigate this? @gyngyn

Any tips from the all-knowing @Goro ?

Thanks for the response. Not sure if this is typical, but the committee letter at my school only contains letters from professors who have taught you a class. Therefore, the voices of my research mentors are not heard, which would posit a problem since research is a large component of my application (published papers, abstracts, posters, awards, etc). How do applicants typically navigate this? @gyngyn

Any tips from the all-knowing @Goro ?
This sounds more like a packet than a real committee letter.

This sounds more like a packet than a real committee letter.

I believe it is a committee letter, since our pre-health adviser writes an evaluative letter for us as well. This is the distinction between a committee letter and a letter packet, correct? @gyngyn

I believe it is a committee letter, since our pre-health adviser writes an evaluative letter for us as well. This is the distinction between a committee letter and a letter packet, correct? @gyngyn
You are right. Ask if the additional letters could be included.

You are right. Ask if the additional letters could be included.

I would do that, @gyngyn , but the writers for my three individual letters (two research mentors, one non-profit director) have already submitted their letters to AMCAS (marked as received) and I've designated them to be sent to all schools I'm applying to. My pre-health advisor said this was fine; was she mistaken? @gonnif

I would do that, @gyngyn , but the writers for my three individual letters (two research mentors, one non-profit director) have already submitted their letters to AMCAS (marked as received) and I've designated them to be sent to all schools I'm applying to. My pre-health advisor said this was fine; was she mistaken? @gonnif
If the school instructions indicate that a committee letter is sufficient and not to send additional letters, I do not recommend additional letters.
It's already done. No use to worry now.

Reactions: 1 user
I called AMCAS and a representative told me that letters cannot be unassigned, now that my application has been submitted and verified. Would it be worth calling schools that say not to send additional letters so I may explain my situation and perhaps tell them to "ignore" the non-committee letters? @gonnif @gyngyn

I called AMCAS and a representative told me that letters cannot be unassigned, now that my application has been submitted and verified. Would it be worth calling schools that say not to send additional letters so I may explain my situation and perhaps tell them to "ignore" the non-committee letters? @gonnif @gyngyn
Let it go.

Letters are not sent to schools until applications have been transmitted. I dont know if you can "unassign" a letter before then. However, these letters sound like reasonable additions as they are PI and one character. Even if a school very strict, I dont think this will: a) interfere with an LOR check at intake/processing; b) annoy a letter reader during evaluation or c) be negative to an adcom. I would say this issue is low risk

@gyngyn thoughts?
For the most part, you are right.
My colleagues who restrict LOR's have told me that not following instructions does influence them, but it's not the only influence.