LOR without letterhead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CinDra

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Starting the process of getting letter writers back in gear to set up an interfolio profile before AMCAS opens. One of my letters will be a club sports coach who coached me for 4 years. He was never an official school employee and AFAIK does not have any official letterhead.

Is it OK for him to just do the letter and have his signature on there? Or should I reach out to the club sports department and see if they have graphics available to use? Just not sure what to do since AMCAS and schools clearly say letterhead is required or strongly recommended.

Members don't see this ad.

I would resolve this by finding a different writer. A club sports coach doesn't come off as the strongest of teas.
Understandable, but I spent 4 years and a lot of time with the team and he knows me pretty well.

Thought it might provide perspective outside of academic stuff. I already have profs, research PI, and the doc I scribed for lined up but I thought a 5th letter from him might round things out a little bit.

Understandable, but I spent 4 years and a lot of time with the team and he knows me pretty well.

Thought it might provide perspective outside of academic stuff. I already have profs, research PI, and the doc I scribed for lined up but I thought a 5th letter from him might round things out a little bit.
I'm sure many people know you pretty well, and if we were talking Olympics or D1 I'd sort of see the justification. But this is club sports. No one will care what your coach has to say, and in my opinion such letters come off as slightly strange and off-putting.

Reactions: 3 users