LOR Worries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BGMayagi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I only have one science professor LOR and I'm still waiting on 2 physician letters. It's the other science professor LOR and nonscience LOR that have me scratching my head as most DO schools want 3 total. I've been out of undergrad for 3 years and I am finishing my nursing BSN at a state school but its all online so none of those teachers will ever meet me in person. I took physics over the summer and tried contacting that professor for a SC LOR but he has dissappeared.

I want to apply asap but I feel like my LORs are going to be the only thing holding me back. Does anyone have any idea's on just how lenient they are with LOR and maybe who I should ask for a letter maybe? I'm kind of avoiding an employer LOR (nursing supervisor) as I feel like they think I'm abandoning nursing and it seems to be a highly questioned change for the people who know( why not DNP, everyone's going for it). Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I guess I just need to toughen up and just email some old professors and hope they remember me. I have volunteered but not enough to expect much from them, also considering I rarely see my supervisors. The whole situations is frustrating because it's the one thing that is almost completely out of my hands.

How do people deal with undergrad LORs as non-trads? I graduated 10 years ago. Getting grad school/ post doc LORs won't be an issue, but I worry about getting them from professors I haven't seen or talked to in 10 or more years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools often have different LOR requirements for nontraditional students. If they don't state this explicitly on their website, then email individual schools to see what they would require.

Its definitely frustrating as a nontrad. I just got lucky got lucky to get my old nursing professor I work with to write me a letter as my professor so I'll have 2 professor letters now. I can hope they consider a science one because my nursing degree will be a BSN (science degree), because I've noticed schools tend to be kinder about substituting the non-science professor letter.