LORs & Interfolio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreyF0X

FoxHound
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been out of school for about 2-3 years. I was wondering how some of you guys asked your professors for LORs after it had been awhile? Do you just send them an email about writing a LOR or try to meet them in person?

I do believe some of my professors remember me, at least i hope so, wanted to know everyones experience getting a LOR as a non-trad student being out of school for a few years.

Second question I had was about interfolio. I know some professors aren't as tech savvy as others and probably wouldn't know how to scan and upload letter as a PDF. Does Interfolio give you directions on how to use their service? I would like to guide my professors just in case they need help with the upload process and to make sure that my letters get in on time.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

For the letters from people I hadn't been in touch with (i.e. professor from my original major, volunteer coordinator), I sent them an initial email asking if they'd be willing to write a letter on my behalf and if so, if we could meet. When I met with each of them, I gave them a folder that, if I'm remembering correctly, I had included a personal letter from me to them laying out everything, a resume, a transcript, and an Interfolio cover page. For writers who I had been in contact with relatively recently (i.e. Professor who I took a class with last semester who I asked about a letter in person), I just sent her an email directly with everything.

I found that all of my letter writers were super pleased to help me out and all of them delivered on their promises - did not have anyone back out. I'm looking forward to updating them all next year once I (hopefully) get accepted.

In terms of Interfolio, I can't recommend it highly enough. It is the best and the people who work there are so helpful - they were even willing to send some of my letter writers their old letters back so that they could update them and resend - all at no charge to me.

The great thing about Interfolio is that it's super user-friendly, even for non tech savvy people. There are always two options that you can choose from - your writer can either upload their letter directly to the site OR, you can print out a cover page that gives them instructions exactly how to mail their letters in via snail mail. All of my letter-writers were easily able to submit their letters and many of them had never heard of Interfolio before.

Reactions: 1 users
When you contact your professors, I used an email like this:

Dear Prof X,

My name is Cyril Figgis. I was a student in your spring 2013 Bio220 course. Next summer, I plan on applying to medical school and was wondering if you would be willing to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf. I have attached a copy of my CV and have ready a copy of my personal statement and transcripts should you also find those beneficial. I am happy to meet with you in-person to discuss this further and answer any questions you may have.

Thank you for your time.
Cyril
----

As for Interfolio, the comment above addressed this. Just be sure to let them know that Interfolio will send reminders if you gave them a deadline to submit. Some get aggravated by this.