lors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legoland24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many lors is too much? i have 9 lors ready right now

6 from professors (1 from my research advisor, 4 from my science/math courses, 1 for non-science)
1 commitee letter
1 hospital volunteer letter
1 shadowing letter

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you can have too many. some schools only accept a certain amount and the ones that don't give a strict limit will probably not read all nine or more from 4500 applicants, so you have to be deliberate about sending (what you think are) the best ones.

i don't think i can control which letters to send i think my college's med organization controls that

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think i can control which letters to send i think my college's med organization controls that

I used interfolio and AMCAS and I think I sent everything to everyone (because I was confident in all the letters I did have). BUT, often times if I remember right, some of the secondaries allowed spaces to designate letters. And then the way I viewed that was, "I'm designating these particular letters and if they want more, they will have more. Otherwise, they can read the others, or not, or w/e."

But you could just select certain letters for each school. I think for example select your best letter for every school in AMCAS and get everything going. Then send additional letters as necessary.

I hope my post reflects the process...as far as I can remember.

You have a committee letter... which letters are contributing to that? All of those functionally count as one letter, if your committee letter does it properly.

If you have additional ones beyond those included with the committee letter, I'd think hard about sending them. I also don't recommend sending letters from MDs you shadowed, because they really aren't going to add anything to your application.