Losing faith? Feeling down? Feel inadequate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CardioThora

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently feeling like I won't make it. I want to become a surgeon, and I'm just a freshman. When I look into the future, I see this big mountain, I feel like a lone climber, struggling to make it to the top. Thankfully SDN is here for support, I like hearing what you guys have to say. I'm just creating this I guess for some type of inspiration, cause I always come back and look at my old posts to read what everyone said and just remind myself that yes it is possible, I just need to stay on track.

For anyone who is in the same boat as me, or who has been, tell me how you got through it, give me some tips, what should I do? I want to keep busy, I thrive in a fast paced, always busy, always doing something- type environment. Helppp meeeo_O

Members don't see this ad.

Currently feeling like I won't make it. I want to become a surgeon, and I'm just a freshman. When I look into the future, I see this big mountain, I feel like a lone climber, struggling to make it to the top. Thankfully SDN is here for support, I like hearing what you guys have to say. I'm just creating this I guess for some type of inspiration, cause I always come back and look at my old posts to read what everyone said and just remind myself that yes it is possible, I just need to stay on track.

For anyone who is in the same boat as me, or who has been, tell me how you got through it, give me some tips, what should I do? I want to keep busy, I thrive in a fast paced, always busy, always doing something- type environment. Helppp meeeo_O

Calm down, your a freshman. Just study hard and do the required activities. Make cool friends and party.

You are not your job. You are not your career goals. You are you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a marathon, not a sprint, and you're only 1/4 mile into the race.

Reactions: 1 user

#1 Realize that you do not have to become a physician, much less a surgeon. Your life will not end if you do not enter this profession and you may potentially be happier if you don't. Start by taking the pressure off of yourself. This is normal, it is fine. The majority of pre-meds do not become physicians and most are very happy.
#2 Realize that you have 12-14 years before you would graduate and become a surgeon. You are in the equivalent of pre-K. This is a marathon. To reach that goal, you will need to sacrifice a lot, time, money, effort. There are hurdle after hurdle after hurdle in your path. From classes to bad professors to standardized testing to everything in between, there are going to be a lot of rough patches ahead. Wanting the end point for the end point alone is going to make you miserable. This isn't about becoming the next mother Theresa. This is about protecting yourself from the continuous and never ending **** storm that is medical education.
#3 Realize that every person's journey is different. What makes me happy is not necessarily going to make you happy. Just because some could gut it out and survived, doesn't mean that you should. Specific tips and tricks are not going to make anything better for you unless given by someone that actually knows you and can make educated guesses based on who you are.
#4 Realize that it is okay for your plans to change. Despite the political rage that 'flip-flopping' is bad, the reality is, the ability to say, "I was wrong before, but I learned" is invaluable, both within medicine, but far more importantly in life.

Generic advice, but probably more valuable than any pre-med adviser will give you. Assuming that you want to be happy and maximize your chances at getting into medical school and be a good physician:

While in undergrad:
#1 Learn who you are. It sounds stupid, but who you are as a person changes everything about how you interact with the world. Knowing how much support you want/need to function optimally, how you prefer to spend your free time, etc. is invaluable when planning for the future. The only way that you learn this is by living your life. NOT by studying. Have a life. Meet potential significant others. Have hobbies. etc.
#2 Learn how to study. I am a PGY4 surgical resident (ie. 11 years ahead of you on the pathway). I have studied every single day for the last 6 weeks or so. I have exams to take. I have attendings and more importantly, patients, demanding that I know things that I don't. You need to learn how to study and the time to do that is during early undergrad. Efficiency and economy of effort is not only about impressing others and being useful. It is also about freeing you up so that you have time outside of work to live.

Reactions: 11 users
#1 Realize that you do not have to become a physician, much less a surgeon. Your life will not end if you do not enter this profession and you may potentially be happier if you don't. Start by taking the pressure off of yourself. This is normal, it is fine. The majority of pre-meds do not become physicians and most are very happy.
#2 Realize that you have 12-14 years before you would graduate and become a surgeon. You are in the equivalent of pre-K. This is a marathon. To reach that goal, you will need to sacrifice a lot, time, money, effort. There are hurdle after hurdle after hurdle in your path. From classes to bad professors to standardized testing to everything in between, there are going to be a lot of rough patches ahead. Wanting the end point for the end point alone is going to make you miserable. This isn't about becoming the next mother Theresa. This is about protecting yourself from the continuous and never ending **** storm that is medical education.
#3 Realize that every person's journey is different. What makes me happy is not necessarily going to make you happy. Just because some could gut it out and survived, doesn't mean that you should. Specific tips and tricks are not going to make anything better for you unless given by someone that actually knows you and can make educated guesses based on who you are.
#4 Realize that it is okay for your plans to change. Despite the political rage that 'flip-flopping' is bad, the reality is, the ability to say, "I was wrong before, but I learned" is invaluable, both within medicine, but far more importantly in life.

Generic advice, but probably more valuable than any pre-med adviser will give you. Assuming that you want to be happy and maximize your chances at getting into medical school and be a good physician:

While in undergrad:
#1 Learn who you are. It sounds stupid, but who you are as a person changes everything about how you interact with the world. Knowing how much support you want/need to function optimally, how you prefer to spend your free time, etc. is invaluable when planning for the future. The only way that you learn this is by living your life. NOT by studying. Have a life. Meet potential significant others. Have hobbies. etc.
#2 Learn how to study. I am a PGY4 surgical resident (ie. 11 years ahead of you on the pathway). I have studied every single day for the last 6 weeks or so. I have exams to take. I have attendings and more importantly, patients, demanding that I know things that I don't. You need to learn how to study and the time to do that is during early undergrad. Efficiency and economy of effort is not only about impressing others and being useful. It is also about freeing you up so that you have time outside of work to live.

:clap::clap: feeling sad? Mimelim is there to make you glad... :clap::clap:

Reactions: 2 users

While in undergrad:

Interesting advice..considering you are in a surgical specialty. Surgeons, I've met, seem to be the type to think that if you can't "hack it" then you must be inherently weak. What would you if you had a son/daughter that said they wanted to enter a "lesser" field of medicine like being a PA? The docs I know have pretty much told their kids "med school or bust"...but I expect your response would be different considering what you told the op?

Interesting advice..considering you are in a surgical specialty. Surgeons, I've met, seem to be the type to think that if you can't "hack it" then you must be inherently weak. What would you if you had a son/daughter that said they wanted to enter a "lesser" field of medicine like being a PA? The docs I know have pretty much told their kids "med school or bust"...but I expect your response would be different considering what you told the op?

I will be blunt. I think that anyone saying, "if you can't "hack it" then you must be inherently weak." or "med school or bust" is an idiot.

This is personal opinion (obviously), but the objective to be happy. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that not everyone will be happy in medicine, has intelligence issues, doesn't know what they are talking about or hasn't actually thought about what they are saying. Medical training is hard. It is long. It is not compatible with most people's idea of a happy life. I am not talking about every day being puppies and rainbows. I mean, you will be living poor for a long time and will if you are the average medical student sacrifice your social life, relationships and hobbies at least to a certain extent. It objectively sucks to be in training into your 30s.

I say this as probably one of the happiest people that I know. You know that guy that wake up without an alarm clock because they are happy to go to work? I'm him, except I get up at 5am every day. I love what I do and wouldn't trade it for anything that I know of. But, I also know that many people (most) are not like me. They won't find happiness where I find happiness. And that is fine. That is normal. I also know hundreds of medical students, residents and attendings. A fair fraction are outright miserable. A large number were clinically depressed at some point in their training. Many are divorced (combining 3 local surgery programs, 25%, at age ~30). The way to get the sustained energy to stay on track for medical school and beyond is to learn #1 that it is the right path to be on and #2 learn how to put yourself in the best position for success by learning about yourself.

Reactions: 6 users
I will be blunt. I think that anyone saying, "if you can't "hack it" then you must be inherently weak." or "med school or bust" is an idiot.

This is personal opinion (obviously), but the objective to be happy. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that not everyone will be happy in medicine, has intelligence issues, doesn't know what they are talking about or hasn't actually thought about what they are saying. Medical training is hard. It is long. It is not compatible with most people's idea of a happy life. I am not talking about every day being puppies and rainbows. I mean, you will be living poor for a long time and will if you are the average medical student sacrifice your social life, relationships and hobbies at least to a certain extent. It objectively sucks to be in training into your 30s.

I say this as probably one of the happiest people that I know. You know that guy that wake up without an alarm clock because they are happy to go to work? I'm him, except I get up at 5am every day. I love what I do and wouldn't trade it for anything that I know of. But, I also know that many people (most) are not like me. They won't find happiness where I find happiness. And that is fine. That is normal. I also know hundreds of medical students, residents and attendings. A fair fraction are outright miserable. A large number were clinically depressed at some point in their training. Many are divorced (combining 3 local surgery programs, 25%, at age ~30). The way to get the sustained energy to stay on track for medical school and beyond is to learn #1 that it is the right path to be on and #2 learn how to put yourself in the best position for success by learning about yourself.
I want to be mimelim when I grow up

Reactions: 2 users