Loupes + Contacts = still comfortable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cybermech

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here's my situation. I've just finished 1st year and have been using TTL (through the lens) Rx-loupes to drill all of my preps. However, lately, I've found that I like to wear contacts and have considered switching to non-Rx loupes so that I can just pop my loupes on and off without having to keep a set of glasses handy.

For those who have worked extensively in the preclinic and/or clinic with contacts and loupes, have you found issues with dust? What about contacts drying out due to reduced blinking?

Do you think it's a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

So, here's my situation. I've just finished 1st year and have been using TTL (through the lens) Rx-loupes to drill all of my preps. However, lately, I've found that I like to wear contacts and have considered switching to non-Rx loupes so that I can just pop my loupes on and off without having to keep a set of glasses handy.

For those who have worked extensively in the preclinic and/or clinic with contacts and loupes, have you found issues with dust? What about contacts drying out due to reduced blinking?

Do you think it's a good idea?

I only have contacts with my loupes. Honestly, I never even considered dust issues and drying out. I do not have any problems whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wear contacts only with my loupes and i havent had any problems after a year of working with them. Many of my classmates do the same thing.

this is very interesting. I wear contacts all the time and whenever I put on my Rx glasses, I can't wear them for more than 3 hours without getting a minor headache. Do you think non-Rx loupes will do the same thing to me?

I don't have any problems with my loupes and contacts. Many of my classmates don't have trouble either.

Hi guys, I haven't worn contacts in years, but when I did, I was pretty comfortable in them. Do you suggest getting contacts again for loupes? or should I just get prescription loupes, do students in your class have them?

Hi guys, I haven't worn contacts in years, but when I did, I was pretty comfortable in them. Do you suggest getting contacts again for loupes? or should I just get prescription loupes, do students in your class have them?
Do you wear your contacts all the time now? People in my class have both. I wear my contacts 6 days out of the week, so I went without prescription loupes.

Do you wear your contacts all the time now? People in my class have both. I wear my contacts 6 days out of the week, so I went without prescription loupes.

No I don't, but I was thinking of getting them before school starts. People in your class have both non-prescription & prescription loupes?

No I don't, but I was thinking of getting them before school starts. People in your class have both non-prescription & prescription loupes?
I believe there might be one where you can insert prescription lenses into the loupes. Do not quote me on that.