Low GPA and MCAT, need backup advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socal6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently applying to schools while scribing and researching. Although I have been getting secondaries, I'm starting to get really anxious about the process. I came into it thinking I had a special story (I actually do) which would justify the bad grades. But after my mediocre retake, I lost all confidence. At this point, I'm applying just so I give myself a chance. I did not consider DO, Caribbean or a masters program, but am open to anything that will help my app or increase my chances of getting accepted somewhere. Has anyone been in my shoes and had some luck? What route did you take and how has it worked out for you? I would really appreciate some honest feedback. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With those stats, you absolutely *should* be applying to DO schools and should *not* even be thinking of applying to the Caribbean. It's only August, and the AACOMAS cycle is longer than ours. I say you start their app today and submit it ASAP. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Stats:
cGPA = ~3.2
sGPA = 2.95
MCAT = 26

I'm currently applying to schools while scribing and researching. Although I have been getting secondaries, I'm starting to get really anxious about the process. I came into it thinking I had a special story (I actually do) which would justify the bad grades. But after my mediocre retake, I lost all confidence. At this point, I'm applying just so I give myself a chance. I did not consider DO, caribbean or a masters program, but am open to to doing anything that will help my app or increase my chances of getting accepted somewhere. Has anyone been in my shoes and had some luck? What route did you take and how has it worked out for you? I would really appreciate some honest advice. Thank you!
I would look at DO but can you maybe take some classes to bring up sgpa there are some schools that will send secondary if you have at least a 2.8 sgpa but if you look at the stats of people getting interviews they are above 3.0. The cycle is still early and maybe taking a science class that you had any c or below could benefit you I wish you the best and I was in that situation and took some classes to get sgpa higher

Circumstances can explain poor grades, but not excuse them. You need to demonstrate that you can handle medical school, and not use the logic of "if I was healthy, or mom didn't die, or my husband didn't leave me...then I'd have a 4.0 GPA". that doesn't work.

As of right now, you are not competitive for MD programs, and only a few DO programs would take you (mine would auto-reeject you).

Retake all F/D/C science coursework and the fastest path to being a doctor will be via DO schools. If you're boning for a MD degree, you're going to need to ace both MCAT (>33) and a post-bac or SMP.

Stats:
cGPA = ~3.2
sGPA = 2.95
MCAT = 26

I'm currently applying to schools while scribing and researching. Although I have been getting secondaries, I'm starting to get really anxious about the process. I came into it thinking I had a special story (I actually do) which would justify the bad grades. But after my mediocre retake, I lost all confidence. At this point, I'm applying just so I give myself a chance. I did not consider DO, caribbean or a masters program, but am open to to doing anything that will help my app or increase my chances of getting accepted somewhere. Has anyone been in my shoes and had some luck? What route did you take and how has it worked out for you? I would really appreciate some honest advice. Thank you!