Low GPA and unknown MCAT score...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sr41489

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping to apply to med school (MD) in the near future, but I have a bit of a dilemma...I have a low GPA (2.76) and I will find out my MCAT score in 3 days. I've been thinking about doing a post-bac and doing well in those classes to better my chances of getting into those MD schools. Here are some of my other stats:

3 years of research at the UCI School of Medicine (3 abstracts and 1 paper published)
2 years of hospital volunteering at Hoag hospital in Newport Beach (300+ hours)
1.5 years of working as an Emergency Medical Technician for an ambulance company
2 years of volunteering at American Red Cross
1 month of abroad medical volunteering in Nepal
*unrelated to medicine: 2 years of working as a manager at 24 Hour Fitness

An LOR from the dean of the UCI MD/PhD program
Another LOR from a supervisor I had at my research job
*still working on attaining more LORs; my plan is to get one from an orthopedic surgeon and another from a cell biology professor

I'm dead set on getting into medical school, and I'm planning on retaking some classes I got a C- in, so I can make it into the post-bac programs I was interested in.

What should I do? I'm definitely going to retake the MCAT if I scored under a 30, and I think doing a post-bac is a great idea, but what is my chance of getting into med school despite my low undergrad GPA?

Thanks for your help!

SR

Members don't see this ad.

By the way, I think I accidentally posted this twice, sorry! I'm a new member...

You definitely need to do a post-bac, and unfortunately, it might take a while to repair your GPA to MD levels.

If you're willing to consider DO, grade replacement would enable you to fix your GPA much more quickly and in a more straightforward manner.

Your EC's are pretty good IMO. Keep building on them until you apply.

Definitely shoot for 30+ on the MCAT.

Your options are either an informal post-bac (just take classes), or some sort of SMP, but you probably won't get accepted to any program with your stats. You need to break the 3.0 barrier to even be considered at the best programs. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Radon,

I'm thinking about applying to DO schools as well, obviously I don't really have the luxury of having a choice in that aspect. But I was thinking, what if I (by some grace of God) do exceedingly well on the MCAT, can that help balance out my low GPA? I have done a lot of research on post-bac and SMP programs and found a few that accept with a 2.75+ GPA (Drexel, CSUEB, SFSU, etc). I feel like I'll be in school for awhile before I apply to a medical school. But regardless, I'm determined to get into med school...whatever it takes.

Thanks Radon,

I'm thinking about applying to DO schools as well, obviously I don't really have the luxury of having a choice in that aspect. But I was thinking, what if I (by some grace of God) do exceedingly well on the MCAT, can that help balance out my low GPA? I have done a lot of research on post-bac and SMP programs and found a few that accept with a 2.75+ GPA (Drexel, CSUEB, SFSU, etc). I feel like I'll be in school for awhile before I apply to a medical school. But regardless, I'm determined to get into med school...whatever it takes.

It depends on how high the MCAT score is and how low the GPA you're trying to balance out is.

Even if you got a 40+, it'd be a miracle if you got into any MD school with that low of a GPA. You would need to get your GPA to the 3.4+ level to have a shot, and that's only with an impressive MCAT score (35+).

Of course, to some extent, all the numbers I'm tossing around are arbitrary, but just so you have an idea.

Thanks Radon,

The rare student accepted with a low gpa has a compelling reason for the school to take a chance on them. Way beyond an otherwise strong application.

What would be such a compelling reason?

What would be such a compelling reason?
An example would be: a poverty striken 1st generation ESL student who attended a notoriously weak high school and went to college while helping to support his family. A student like this from a rural or difficult area who has a validated committment to his community will be worth the risk if the MCAT is consistent with success.

Yeah I'm not in that category...it's really unfortunate how badly I screwed up in college. I wish there was something I could do to prove to the AdCom that I'm not completely stupid... :(

Yeah I'm not in that category...it's really unfortunate how badly I screwed up in college. I wish there was something I could do to prove to the AdCom that I'm not completely stupid... :(
You still have many ways to do just that!

If you killed the MCAT, I bet you'd get interviews at DO schools if you applied broadly. Otherwise, just retake some of the courses you bombed and become a doctor! :)

Thanks guys,

I have researched post-bac and SMP programs that accept people with GPAs like mine, I'll probably apply next year. In the meantime, I plan on retaking courses at UCI (even though that's super expensive!) I will do anything to get into med school! Plus I feel like my EC's are good, I'll try and find more creative ways to boost my app. Thanks again for all the support!

I have been looking into this program at SFSU; it's a post-bac (non-master's), and I'd be retaking some courses I screwed up in, and some upper div courses I never got to take. So basically I'm getting another shot at undergrad but I'm not getting a degree out of it. Anyways, do you guys think this will average out in my undergrad GPA on my AMCAS app?

Also, I should have mentioned before, my weakest courses were lower division pre-req classes like ochem and physics. I have an A- average in my upper div bio classes.

Thanks for the help!

I'm going to retake the MCAT, I got a 26...kinda sucks, I was scoring in the low 30's on the recent AAMC tests. Whatever. I felt like crap after the test so I might have been too nervous. Anyways, my plan is to retake in January and then apply to post bac programs in February (the programs I'm looking at open their fall apps in January). Assuming I do really well in my post bac classes (I will!!), I'll apply to med school in my last year and take another year off during the application process. Does this sound like a good plan? I want this, and I will be willing to take as much time necessary to get to MD levels with my GPA and stats.

So I know this post is now considered to be in the wrong category, but I wanted opinions on what my chances are to get into these schools for post-bac programs:

Barry U
CSULA
CSUEB
Charles Drew U
Drexel U (IMS, MSP, IHS)
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Midwestern U
NY Medical College
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
SFSU (my top choice, because I'd be close to home)
Virginia Commonwealth SOM
William Carey U

Thanks for the help

Strongly concur with my sage colleague, and you'll really need to do the SMP to be really competetive for DO programs. If you rock both MCAT and SMP, then there are some MD schools that appreciate reinvention.

Now you must re-take the MCAT only when you are sure that you will get >30 for MD.

Thanks Goro. That's exactly what I'm going to do, get an amazing MCAT and ace my post bac classes. Any idea on how this school list looks?